VOGONS

Reply 41 of 113, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those ALI and MVP3 boards are a bit of a disappointment compared to the FX, TX, and HX Intel boards. Have you maxed out all the CMOS performance setttings? Could you add a 2 MB cache MVP3 board to the mix to see if it can get a little closer to the TX's performance?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 42 of 113, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Those ALI and MVP3 boards are a bit of a disappointment compared to the FX, TX, and HX Intel boards. Have you maxed out all the CMOS performance setttings? Could you add a 2 MB cache MVP3 board to the mix to see if it can get a little closer to the TX's performance?

All maxed out yes, but they are of another generation so I guess they had other priorities than VGA performance and it might be that 3DBench does not like those boards so much (as the other benches are generally very strong). The Ali V board have comparable Quake and PCPBench scores to the HX boards.

Don't own a 2MB cache MVP3 board, but it's pretty easy to add results (so far it's been only me and RacoonRider) if anyone with a board wants to help out.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 43 of 113, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a 2 MB cache board, but have no time or means to test it at present.
What about throwing a few Windows-based benchmarks into the mix? Quake II? Final Reality?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 44 of 113, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanx for adding the p5a! Which revision was it?

What was in your opinion the most easy to setup and trouble free board? I have several s7 and ss7 boards and i prefer the atx versions.
Also had some trouble getting the mvp3 versions stable compared to Intels and Ali.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 45 of 113, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

Thanx for adding the p5a! Which revision was it?

What was in your opinion the most easy to setup and trouble free board? I have several s7 and ss7 boards and i prefer the atx versions.
Also had some trouble getting the mvp3 versions stable compared to Intels and Ali.

If you open the Google Document you can see BIOS and revision of all the boards tested. It was the 1.06 revision for P5A.

Personally the best SS7 board I own is the EPOX EP-51MVP3E-M (VIA MVP3). The jumper layout is just superior compared to the ASUS/Aopen boards I own.

For Intel boards I really like the ASUS VX97, but I can imagine the HX board from ASUS are the best (the P55T2P4 was also praised in magazines/tests back in 1997).

Reply 46 of 113, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always liked the Gigabyte GA-585HX or GA-585HX2 boards for their 6 PS/2 RAM slots. It also has 4 ISA slots and DIP switches.
P55T2P4 http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/mainbo … sus_p55t2p4.jpg
GA-586HX2 http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/gigabyte_ga586hx2.jpg

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 47 of 113, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

I always liked the Gigabyte GA-585HX or GA-585HX2 boards for their 6 PS/2 RAM slots. It also has 4 ISA slots and DIP switches.
P55T2P4 http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/mainbo … sus_p55t2p4.jpg
GA-586HX2 http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/gigabyte_ga586hx2.jpg

Good points. I haven't used my GA-586HX much, but from what I've tested it's an excellent board.

Reply 48 of 113, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another ASUS board benched:

ASUS P65UP5 w/C-P55T2D CPU card

Number 3 if all benches are included, number 2 if Phil's calculation is to be used.

Reply 49 of 113, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey guess what, I actually have one of these Intel chipset Socket 7 boards! Never got to try it out.

It's a Gigabyte 586ATX. I put in a 16 MB SDRAM memory, I believe it's EDO and set all the fastest timings in the BIOS. Used a P200 at 66 x 1.5

I got:

3db: 105.7
PCP: 30.9
Doom: 1324 ticks
Quake: 26.3

However I didn't have a Matrox card. This is with a S3 PCI card. Specifically a Trio 64V+.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 50 of 113, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reviewed this Asus SP97-xv motherboard with SIS chipset and it is the fastest board under DOS! Beats all other boards with Intel, VIA and ALI chipset. I don't have a PCI Matrox card, so I can't compare, but it might be something worth looking into 😀

Here is the video review: http://youtu.be/IWd1cQYEcIk

My YouTube channel

Reply 51 of 113, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow... that is the board I'm using for my P233.
It has USB, and it works.
Its a nice socket 7 board.
Wait never mind I get ahead of myself to often :d you got the ATX version, I see when i click on your video!
I have the plain, Sp97v which is baby AT, but same SIS chipset.

Reply 52 of 113, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does yours have onboard graphics as well? Could you get it working? I wasn't successful, so no idea how good it is...

My YouTube channel

Reply 53 of 113, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea mine came with the internal cable\bracket for the Onboard, and the USB.
USB works but I actually can't use it due to having no room for the usb bracket 🤣 its separate from the vga.
The onboard sis video uses system memory, so performance isn't to good, dunno if it even supports 3d, probably doesn't. Only messed with it a bit in dos, before I disabled it, for the Riva TNT.
I had no issues with the dos games I tested it with tho, even in Jason storms space chase games, which have flashing issues with 3dfx, and some other cards.

Well I googled the 5582\5598
Apparently it does support 3d.
Interesting, I wonder how fast it actually is now.... Its sharing system memory so it really can't be good, 1, and 4mb is selectable.

Edit 2:
Well since the 3d part interested me and having never really tested a sis vcard.... I re-enabled it, and on further install of the latest versions of the drivers, I get constant blue screens in 98 @ bootup every bootup not in safe-mode 🙁
I don't think i'm not gonna bother testing it further, and disable it again 🤣 not expecting much out of it anyway.

Reply 54 of 113, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Reviewed this Asus SP97-xv motherboard with SIS chipset and it is the fastest board under DOS! Beats all other boards with Intel, VIA and ALI chipset. I don't have a PCI Matrox card, so I can't compare, but it might be something worth looking into 😀

Here is the video review: http://youtu.be/IWd1cQYEcIk

If you ever get your hands on Matrox PCI card, please bench this and post the results 😀

Reply 55 of 113, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlphaWing wrote:

I don't think i'm not gonna bother testing it further, and disable it again 🤣 not expecting much out of it anyway.

🤣 I know that feeling 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 56 of 113, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What kind of 3dmark 99 score did you get with yours?
The PCI NV4 TNT 16mb and Voodoo2 12mb I stuck in it get 131x\134x, I need to post the scores.
I had to use the Creative DX6 drivers to make the Voodoo2 work in it, in windows. The last reference set, just doesn't seem to work for me on this board. The memory on the card gets reported as 0 with it, and it fails to run anything.
Also varies a few points each run. I'll run your dos benchmark suite on it, and my Cyrix hopefully today too.

Also excuse my poor grammar on my first post... it was late... 🤣 and those jumpers are really difficult to get to in the case that its stuck in.

Its in a really nice old AT desktop case, I was expecting a 386\486 when I got the machine, and opened it, but found this board instead with a P166 in it.
It was running on a POWER supply that has a sticker from 1990 on it 🤣 so its not the original board that was in the machine, and I am not using that PSU for it now.... I took it out and looked at it and the caps on it while not burst, have rust spots all over them I don't think its safe.
Also the TURBO switch does work on it 😀 , I stuck it so I can switch between 2x and 3.5x. So 233\133mhz.

Reply 57 of 113, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

If you ever get your hands on Matrox PCI card, please bench this and post the results 😀

What about a PCI G550?

My YouTube channel

Reply 58 of 113, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I tried the Asus SP97-XV with a Pentium 200 clocked at 66 x 1.5 and a PCI S3 Trio 64V+ because that's all have. And, well, it beats them all 🤣

3dbench 1.0c: 110.4
PCBP: 31.2
Doom 1203 ticks = 62.09 fps
Quake: 26.4 fps

My YouTube channel

Reply 59 of 113, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I get a weird doom score on mine... over 100fps.
I even retested it a couple times.
I posted a bunch of benches of my 500mhz and less machines in your benchmark thread...
And that P233+ Sis mobo scored the highest in that game, even above a PII 450 on a BX board.

And you got 62fps at 100mhz! Is there somthing about the sis chipset and that game.