VOGONS

AWE64 Sound Card I/O Conflicts

Topic actions

First post, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am in need of some help from you clever people!

I have the following setup...

Windows 98SE
SuperMicro P6SBA Intel 440BX Slot 1 Motherboard
256MB Ram
Intel Pentium III 850MHz Slot 1 CPU
3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP 64MB Graphics Card
Roland LAPC-I MIDI ISA Card

The problems I am having really baffle me, it's to do with sound. I have two cards (only one in the PC at a time), both ISA SB AWE64 Gold and a regular AWE64. When I play a sound file on either card, WAV etc the file starts playing for a nano second then stops dead in it's tracks. Interestingly the media player in Windows things the file is still playing as the play button is grayed out and the stop button is not. It happens on both my cards.

I should note that If i use an SB Live! card on the PCI slot, I do not get this problem.

I have run the diagnostics app and it seems I have an I/O conflict I get the following error on addresses:

Error: Base I/O Address Setting

The diagnostics utility has detected that the current base I/O of your audio card cannot be used.

I have tried it on 220, 240, 260 & 280 (the only ones available) and get the same error on all of them. I only have one card in the PC at a time, so I don’t understand what it’s conflicting with.

I have tried the following troubleshooting steps:-

I have removed the LAPC-I
Tried the two different AWE cards
Tried the cards in a different ISA slot

I am not really very up on how to fix I/O conflicts, any ideas?

My System: SuperMicro P6SBA Motherboard, Win98SE, PIII 600Mhz, 256MB Ram, Voodoo 5 5500, SB AWE 64 Gold Sound Card, Roland LAPC-I

Reply 1 of 25, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am getting somewhere with the problem now, just removing the Roland LAPC-I card was not enough, I had to remove it from device manager as well, as soon as I did this, problem solved! so there is obviously a conflict between the two cards even thought the Roland is not a sound card as such it's a MIDI card. Any idea how to make these cards co exist?

My System: SuperMicro P6SBA Motherboard, Win98SE, PIII 600Mhz, 256MB Ram, Voodoo 5 5500, SB AWE 64 Gold Sound Card, Roland LAPC-I

Reply 2 of 25, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
manic232 wrote:

I am getting somewhere with the problem now, just removing the Roland LAPC-I card was not enough, I had to remove it from device manager as well, as soon as I did this, problem solved! so there is obviously a conflict between the two cards even thought the Roland is not a sound card as such it's a MIDI card. Any idea how to make these cards co exist?

Glad to see you have this posted here and on EAB.

So does it make a difference which ISA slot either card is installed into ?

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 3 of 25, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sadly not, I have tried it in both slots and with two separate cards

Reply 4 of 25, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Old hardware posts should be in the Marvin forum. This forum is for Windows games.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 25, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks and sorry guys

Reply 7 of 25, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
manic232 wrote:

I would suggest they have a conflict at I/O 330, that is the default I/O address for the MIDI interfaces for both cards. I would change the port address on the AWE64.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 8 of 25, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I second that. You have to change either AWE64, or LAPC-I MIDI port from 330h to another value.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 9 of 25, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I appreciate your help, when I have both cards plugged in these are the settings I get:

SB AWE64:
Interupt Request 09
Direct Memory Access 03
Direct Memory Access 07
I/O Range 0240-024F
I/O Range 0300-0301
I/O Range 0388-038B

Roland LAPC-I:
I/O Range 0330-0331

As you can see the port on the AWE64 is 0300 not 0330, so I am still baffled!

Reply 10 of 25, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The interrupt request could be the problem, the LAPC-I defaults to 2/9, and your AWE64 is also at 2/9. Windows apparently doesn't show the IRQ, but that doesn't mean the conflict doesn't exist. You should change the AWE64's.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 11 of 25, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks that may be worth investigating, I'll check tomorrow and report back

Reply 12 of 25, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just reporting back, sadly changing the IRQ did not work. I have given up at the moment, I have removed the LAPC-I and the AWE64 is now working fine again. I guess I'll have to live without until I can figure out what going on here.

Reply 14 of 25, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

Does the LAPC-I work when the AWE cards aren't inserted?

Yes it works fine if the AWE64 is in or out, the problem is with the AWE64 not the LAPC-I

Reply 16 of 25, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

Did you try a DOS setup instead of 98SE?

No, I have not tried that yet actually, maybe I'll try that tomorrow

Reply 17 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
manic232 wrote:
I have run the diagnostics app and it seems I have an I/O conflict I get the following error on addresses: […]
Show full quote

I have run the diagnostics app and it seems I have an I/O conflict I get the following error on addresses:

Error: Base I/O Address Setting

The diagnostics utility has detected that the current base I/O of your audio card cannot be used.

I have tried it on 220, 240, 260 & 280 (the only ones available) and get the same error on all of them. I only have one card in the PC at a time, so I don’t understand what it’s conflicting with.

You get this with just the AWE installed? What other cards or devices do you have installed?

Something I do to free resources is go into BIOS and disable the two COM ports and the Parallel port. Is the BIOS set to Plug and play? There is an option along the lines "PnP capable OS" or choosing resources automatically.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 25, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Things are getting odder, I think I'm going mad!

I have tried my setup in DOS 6.22 with the latest AWE64 DOS drivers installed etc, in DOS the LAPC-I does not work as expected, the sound in Monkey Island for example is totally messed up plays wrong instruments. The AWE64 however seems to work OK in DOS, do I have the opposite issue in DOS 🙁:(

I note that in DOS the MIDI port on the AWE and LAPC-I in the same 330 so I guess there is a conflict, I tried changing the port in my autoexec.bat file but upon restart is defaults back to 330 🙁:(

I note that there are jumpers on the LAPC-I that allows you to change the port to 330, 332, 334 or 336 do you think this is worth a try? it says that some DOS programs don't like this to be changed so I am in two mind whether to do it or not.

I am a bit confused about the whole BIOS changes to make on the ports, could someone explain that better to me?

Reply 19 of 25, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Monkey Island issue has probably to do with your PC being too fast. Disable L1/L2 caches and it should work.

I'd leave the LAPC-I at 330 because that's the port that a lot of games from that time default to, while with General MIDI supporting games you can usually change the port. For the AWE64 in DOS you need CTCM.EXE AFAIK, you can download the driver package from the Creative site. It should allow you to change the port and should also configure SET BLASTER accordingly.

About disabling the ports, it's pretty self explanatory. If you have no use for the serial or parallel ports it's usually a good idea to disable them in the BIOS. Read the manual for your motherboard or just look around in the BIOS to find the options for that.