VOGONS

Reply 40 of 58, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pretty much every FFB stick I've ever used has a centering spring force on by default, though that list of sticks used does not include the original SWFFB Pro. All of mine are later USB models, including the famed SWFFB2.

If the stick isn't centering, that usually means there's a sensor on the stick that isn't being blocked by your hand or anything else, or the motors have no power.

If nothing else, I'd definitely pick up that SWFFB Pro and build a USB adapter out of a Teensy board. Details here:

https://code.google.com/p/adapt-ffb-joy/

Reply 41 of 58, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mainly play RTS's so never really got into joysticks, but did get 2nd hand a CH pro, box and all off ebay for next to nothing. Plan using it terminal Velocity
Wheels I've had plenty of Need for Speed till NFS Porsche being on my high play list and nothing has ever come close to the original Logitech formula force. I've actually got 2 now. My original one still working will in Oz and another here in the UK.

Reply 42 of 58, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My recent acquisition of a NIB Thrustmaster Grand Prix wheel prompted me to break out the rest of my controllers for a little photo shoot. I don’t use the sticks much I must admit but they’re fun to have around – love the old box art:

DSCN1130_zps450dcc8b.jpg

One of the most comfortable sticks I’ve tried, and tuff as nails:

DSCN1133_zps7482279a.jpg

And it’s bigger brother, also a great stick but not quite as comfortable I find:

DSCN1150_zps969e842f.jpg

A couple of sticks for my C64:

DSCN1134_zps767af590.jpg

DSCN1138_zps1d14c3c7.jpg

This is a recently purchased replacement of the first joystick I owned - not great by any means but serviceable:

DSCN1141_zps7a67a3bb.jpg

A great all rounder:

DSCN1143_zps22bb4504.jpg

These things are cheap, easy to get still and very handy to have around. Great for Keen, Jill of the Jungle, etc:

DSCN1152_zpsba639b96.jpg

DSCN1148_zps40fa7627.jpg

And finally the Thrustmaster GP1. This + Network Q Rally is a recipe for good times. These aren’t particularly hard to come by either nor are they expensive – this one cost me 13 bucks + shipping. But the plastic gears on the pots in the wheel fall apart – even without having been used. So it’s getting harder to find working ones. Not hard to fix ‘em though and worth the effort:

DSCN1155_zps7480c9af.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 43 of 58, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice collection!

I actually don't have a single joystick. Still looking for a way to use a modern USB stick in DOS but so far I don't think there is a solution.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 44 of 58, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

I actually don't have a single joystick. Still looking for a way to use a modern USB stick in DOS but so far I don't think there is a solution.

With the real thing so plentiful and cheap, why would you need to use a USB one?

Reply 45 of 58, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is the retro Joystick I use the most. It's a modified PCjr Joystick with a gameport plug. I use it with a cheap gameport to USB adapter for my more modern computers and my older computers just use the Gameport. Works great!

3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xap9p.jpg

2_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xap9u.jpg
On the left is my unmodified PCjr joystick (The one that came with that computer) and on the right is the modified joystick, I bought it to modify originally but when it arrived it was already done. 🤣

42_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xfa5o.jpg
Here is the plug without the cover (So you can do the modification if you want to!)

computer_midi_game_port_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xfbct.gif
Here is a color coded pinout.

1_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xap9k.jpg
Also to get a quick idea of how big it is here is a picture taken when I got it. I'm playing Oolite here on the same computer that is now my sleeper, this is what it used to look like. 🤣 (Early 2014)

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 46 of 58, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got this Thrustmaster ps3/pc switchable joystick throttle combo. It's in very nice shape and should work nicely with some flight sims. It can be used as one piece or the joystick and throttle can be separated.

Anyway. not bad for 5 bucks.

rps20151008_210113.jpg
Filename
rps20151008_210113.jpg
File size
95.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
rps20151008_210136.jpg
Filename
rps20151008_210136.jpg
File size
134.2 KiB
Views
File license
rps20151008_210151.jpg
Filename
rps20151008_210151.jpg
File size
94.46 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 48 of 58, by paulo_becas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, here are a few of my controllers for various systems.
I'll post the rest soon and more detailed, my old pc controllers

1.JPG
Filename
1.JPG
File size
154.22 KiB
Views
File license

AMD Am486/Am5x86-P75 DX5 133 Mhz-64Mb Ram
S3 Trio 64V2DX 2 Mb
Soundblaster AWE64 Gold+Music Quest+MT-32+MU80
LAN-3Com
1.44 3,5 Epson Drive+1.2 5,25 Mitsumi drive+Iomega Zip 256Mb
8gb HDD,4Gb CF HDD
HP CDRW 9200
http://jp-retro.blogspot.com

Reply 49 of 58, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
paulo_becas wrote:

Well, here are a few of my controllers for various systems.
I'll post the rest soon and more detailed, my old pc controllers

Very nice! Especially the Quickshot sticks. I'm sure I had one of these red ones and really liked it. Good micro-switches and all of that.

Reply 50 of 58, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rps20151107_134003.jpg
Filename
rps20151107_134003.jpg
File size
83.11 KiB
Views
File license

A couple more additions to my joystick 'collection'. I have a few of these but I can't pass them up every time I see them especially when it's usually only a couple dollars to buy.

Reply 51 of 58, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Sidewinder 3D Pro is such a handy stick and often go for cheap. If only they weren't so damn ugly...

I like the look of those Gravis sticks but haven't tried one - how do they compare?

Reply 52 of 58, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Gravis sticks aren't too bad...I find the grip to be a little too small if you have bigger hands but it's not too bad if you're not playing flight sims. The buttons are nice I find...almost like classic arcade buttons but lighter and less 'robust' and more clicky but still solid enough. The best thing about the classic Gravis stick I find is that it has a large physical 'dial' that allows you to adjust the resistance of the control stick. I mostly use it on the highest resistance as I prefer to have the joystick re-center itself quickly but it's nice to have the option to reduce the resistance for some games. Also they are made in Canada and built very well and last a lifetime. I used to use these joysticks in elementary school over 25 years ago (!) and every time I buy one they seem to work almost like they were new except for one that I found once that had one button that lost its 'click' and felt a bit mushy but it still worked.

I'm curious...do you see a lot of these in Oz? Around here they were a dime a dozen for a while now they're getting a bit more rare I find it still available here and there. I wonder if it's because they were made here.

Anyways I would recommend it as an all round retro gaming joystick but not for serious flight sims of course.

Reply 53 of 58, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a few Gravis joysticks. But all of them started to squeak really loud over time, so I kept buying new ones until I got the Microsoft joystick 😀

Reply 54 of 58, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

But all of them started to squeak really loud over time

Interesting...I'm sure that will happen over time. The ones I own have not squeaked yet but I'm sure with some more use they'll get there 🤣. That must have been very annoying.

Using the Gravis sticks for me is mostly for nostalgia sake...overall my CH Flightsticks are some of my favorites to use.

Reply 55 of 58, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a thrustmaster topgun platinum with throttle stick and a quickshot masterpilot for dos, early win95 games.

post-5654-0-16040900-1408052296.jpg
Filename
post-5654-0-16040900-1408052296.jpg
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File license

I also have a microsoft sidewinder force feedback joystick.
And a gravis analog stick for flightsims.
For race games i have a digital edge f1 compact and a microsoft force feedback steering wheel.
For arcade games i have a usb arcadestick. I also have a gravis gamepad for dos games.

Reply 56 of 58, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love the master pilot and all your other controllers. Very nice setup for flight sims. Looks like you have all your bases covered with some nice controllers for everything else as well.

Reply 58 of 58, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quick shot of the few I have.

Top pic : C64 TAC3 joystick but it's boxed up right now.

MS Sidewinder Force Feedback
Magnum 6 (SV-243) - made by Interact
Cyberman 2 - Logitech
CH Products (bottom right) no model number on it

Attachments

• Tac3 joystick.JPG
    Filename
    Tac3 joystick.JPG
    File size
    2.76 MiB
    Views
    File comment