VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another thread for my Socket 5 motherboards. I will publish my benchmark results and other relevant information about this board here.

2014-05-17%2017.39.52_small.jpg
Chipset: Intel 430FX Socket: Socket 5 Cache options: 256/512kb async DIP cache (256kb PB as hardwired option when bought as new)

Background:
This is ASUS's first 430FX board released Jan/Feb of 1995. It was mainly intended to support the new 120mhz (27th of March) and 133mhz (1st of June) Pentiums from Intel at that time, which is why you only have a maximum multiplier of 2.0x. It was released in three different versions, one with 256kb async DIP cache, one with 512kb async DIP (my board) and one version with 256kb pipeline burst cache hardwired to the board. From what I've found online this board was discontinued after only 6 months on the marked as the new P55TP4, P55TP4XE and P55TP4N took over. The new series had the same chipset, but supported higher multipliers and the new ASUS Media Bus.

Features:
Pretty standard Socket 5/7 features on this board. I/O with dual IDE was standard at this time along with flashable BIOS. Quirks about this board are as follows:

• There are no ASUS Media Bus support (first supported in the P55 series)
  • PS/2 mouse support (this is not common on Socket 5 boards)
  • DS12887 RTC chip which is not socketed
  • Official FSB options of: 40, 50, 60 and 66mhz (the 40mhz option is uncommon and allows for the Cyrix 6x86 80GP (2x40mhz))
  • Official support for Pentium, Cyrix 6x86 and AMD K5 (last two since BIOS 0205)
  • No turbo button switch (or option in BIOS)
  • 3.4v to 3.6v CPU voltage options. No VRM support

Undocumented Features:

• AMD K6 support in latest BIOS which also supports AMD K6-2 and AMD K6-III (not + versions)
  • 80mhz FSB option (Jumpers: 1-2, 1-2, 2-3, 2-3)
  • 33mhz FSB option (Jumpers: 1-2, 2-3, 2-3, 2-3)
  • 22mhz FSB option (not available in latest BIOS) (Jumpers: 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2)

BIOS & Manual:
Still available on Asus.com: support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguag ... edid=n%2fa
BIOS with 128GB IDE support are available from Wims Bios.
Early 0103 BIOS (from my board): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57506833/ … p54tp4/0103.rar

Benchmarks:
First off, all benches are based out of Phil's VGA benchmark. Please see his thread for more info. The only change I've done is that I've included the 3DBench2 results in the total sum (this because there is not so much variations on a Socket 5 board compared to 386 to Core i7). 386/486 comparison results are taken from an average of submissions from Phil's database.

To show possible slowdowns just with memory/cache settings I'm showing best and slowest settings possible that is adjustable from the BIOS. They are as follows:
2014-05-19%2009_25_58.png

This was all tested with the latest BIOS and a Matrox Mystique 220 (to be in line with Socket 5 & 7 motherboard benches). Using an early 1995 bios (0103) did not give any performance difference.
2014-05-19%2010_32_03.png
2014-05-19%2009_24_13.png

As you can read from the graph there is not much performance difference between fastest and slowest settings. 120mhz with 80mhz FSB is quicker than running the system at 133mhz as to be expected. Slowing down the CPU to 50mhz gives you a system between the DX2/66 and a DX4/100.

So what about L1/L2 cache options? Here are they on a 100mhz Pentium:
2014-05-19%2009_24_40.png
Some strange things going on with the L2 cache as it increases performance when turned off. Big gap between the settings, as you either get a 386 DX33 or a quick Pentium. If you want something inbetween you will have to slow down the CPU to 50mhz as shown above. This means that there is no way to get the system to run between a 386DX33 and 486DX/2 66 with a Pentium (other CPUs might give slightly different results, but I've not tested this).

Other CPU support:
Here we need to put the results into three categories: CPU's with single rail voltage support, CPU's with split voltage (but that will run if you take the chance) and CPU's requiring adapters like Powerleap, TurboChip (not supported due to ZIF socket type) and Evergreen.
2014-05-19%2010_30_18.png

I could not get the board to run with a higher multiplier for the Pentiums and other CPU's (except AMD K6) even when using the Powerleap. I tried all multipliers possible. 2x multiplier is the maximum for this board and for the MMX the maximum speed was 150mhz, not 160. I will try the official Pentium Overdrive when I acquire it. When using the Cyrix 6x86, which is known for its power consumption, the voltage heatsink gets VERY hot (same goes with CPU), so it is recommended to use a fan. Both the Pentium MMX and the Cyrix 6x86MX which runs on split voltage works fine in the board, but you are running it on overvoltage, but I didn't notice any problems. The 6x86MX didn't get as hot as the single voltage 3.3V 6x86. With 80mhz FSB the AMD K6-III really kicks off. It's incredible that this board even supports that CPU (the + versions are not supported). Again, for some reason turning off L2 in the BIOS gives a performance increase for the K6's. I also tried the Pentium MMX Tillamook in the Powerleap adapter and the board boots with it, but there are no performance/multiplier difference compared to a regular MMX.

Conclusion:
All in all I will not be using this board for any future build. My criteria for finding a Socket 5 board is so that I can get the whole specter of 486 performance without going through the hassle of using a 486 board. For this purpose the P54SP4 (SiS 501) and even the Freetech 586F52 which is another 430FX board are much better suited. The pros are PS/2 support for a Socket 5 and good AMD K6-III performance (if you own a Powerleap), but other than that it offers less flexibility than newer Socket 7 boards. If you want a build around the early Cyrix 6x86 with 40mhz FSB this is probably the board to go for.

I intend to publish similar threads for all my Socket 5 boards. Freetech 586F52 already have its own page (no benchmarks) and the P54SP4 has already been benched.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 15, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice range of results; good work. If the board had a working Turbo Switch, you'd have an extra parameter to further fine tune speed settings. BTW, does the Powerleap adapter utilise boards with Turbo Switches?

Reply 2 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
j^aws wrote:

Nice range of results; good work. If the board had a working Turbo Switch, you'd have an extra parameter to further fine tune speed settings. BTW, does the Powerleap adapter utilise boards with Turbo Switches?

I'll add that parameter on the next boards with working turbo switch.

Good question about the Powerleap. It certainly works with boards with turbo switch, but I've never tried to disable the turbo with the Powerleap inplace. In my opinion the board should behave the same regardless of the Powerleap adapter as it just increases waitstates and does not actually lower the clock on the CPU.

Reply 3 of 15, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, cool. See if you can get chkcpu speed results with Turbo enabled/ disabled. I'm not sure if different boards use this switch for waitstates and/or clock speeds. E.g. I've used chkcpu to display 15MHz on a socket 7 board.

Reply 4 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
j^aws wrote:

Okay, cool. See if you can get chkcpu speed results with Turbo enabled/ disabled. I'm not sure if different boards use this switch for waitstates and/or clock speeds. E.g. I've used chkcpu to display 15MHz on a socket 7 board.

I'll check with those boards that supports it 😀

Reply 5 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very thourough work!

Could you bench the Cyrix 6x86 at 40x2?

Would you be able to bench the Cyrix 6x86 at 33x4 if you manually set the appropriate CPU pins to HI/LO? Same question applies for the MMX Tillamock at 4x.

What was the non-working symptom for the AMD K6-3+?

Is the system stable with the K6-III at 480 MHz? Could you, for example, install WinXP or W2K without any issue? I find the Final Reality benchmark to serve as a pretty good stress test as well.

Which multiplier options does your Powerleap have? Does the multiplier setting feature of the Powerleap only work with AMD K6 II/III CPUs? What about K6, K5, Cyrix 6x86, Cyrix MII, Winchip, Winchip2, and Rise?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great thread! But man, this mobo needs some love. A good wash with soap and flat paintbrush would do miracles.

Edit:

Do you add your results to Phil's database?

The one thing I love about ASUS is that they still have support for most hardware they ever manufactured. You can even register most of your old products at their website if the S/N label has not perished!

Reply 7 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Very thourough work!

Thanks 😀

feipoa wrote:

Could you bench the Cyrix 6x86 at 40x2?

Yes, that would be possible when I receive it (I have it on order as I mentioned in another post to you) 😀 I could also bench the newer versions (6x86 PR166 and 6x86L PR200 at the same clockspeed against the 6x86-80GP to see if there are any performance difference between the revisions)

feipoa wrote:

Would you be able to bench the Cyrix 6x86 at 33x4 if you manually set the appropriate CPU pins to HI/LO? Same question applies for the MMX Tillamock at 4x.

As I wrote in the post, even with the CPU's in the Powerleap I could not increase the multiplier.

feipoa wrote:

What was the non-working symptom for the AMD K6-3+?

Board would not post at all. Black screen.

feipoa wrote:

Is the system stable with the K6-III at 480 MHz? Could you, for example, install WinXP or W2K without any issue? I find the Final Reality benchmark to serve as a pretty good stress test as well.

This is a more time consuming test you're asking about 😜 If I find the time and opportunity I'll do it. The system was stable for several benches with Quake and Doom as long as I used a good cooler (CPU was overclocked from 400 to 480).

feipoa wrote:

Which multiplier options does your Powerleap have? Does the multiplier setting feature of the Powerleap only work with AMD K6 II/III CPUs? What about K6, K5, Cyrix 6x86, Cyrix MII, Winchip, Winchip2, and Rise?

My Powerleap PL-K6-III is just a newer version of the PL-ProMMX. It supports all the CPU*s you mentioned, but I don't own the Winchip's and Rise. Possible multipliers are from 2.0x to 6.0x and voltage from 2.2V to 3.5V. The Powerleap multiplier only worked on the K6 CPU's on this board. I ran a AMD K6 at 300mhz (4.5x multiplier) with no issues.

Reply 8 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried manually writing to the CPU registers, either by direct wiring of hi and lo pins, or using software? I know, for example, that I am able to use software to adjust the multiplier of the Cyrix 5x86 between 1x, 2x, 3x, and 4x, although a certain order of operation for going between multipliers was required.

Good idea to cross-compare the original Cyrix 6x86 with later models at 2x40.

Reply 9 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Have you tried manually writing to the CPU registers, either by direct wiring of hi and lo pins, or using software? I know, for example, that I am able to use software to adjust the multiplier of the Cyrix 5x86 between 1x, 2x, 3x, and 4x, although a certain order of operation for going between multipliers was required.

Good idea to cross-compare the original Cyrix 6x86 with later models at 2x40.

I don't have the expertise or equipment for any soldering or small electrical wiring between CPU pins. So unless someone wants to do this work for me on some CPUs it is out of the question.

Software is a possibility, where can I find this for changing multiplier on the cyrix?

Reply 10 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've sent you a compilation of all my Cyrix 6x86-based programs. One of these programs may be able to change the multiplier. I have never had to use software to do this before, so I cannot be certain.

Reply 11 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cyrix 6x86 benchmarks as promised earlier in this thread available here:
Cyrix 6x86 80GP (2x40mhz) Benchmarking

Reply 12 of 15, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I own one of these boards.

I did only play around with it for an hour or two before puting it in a box.
This thread will be a great reference for the next time I use the board.
I do own a Power Leap K6-3 adapter 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 13 of 15, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At first, good review, thanks.

vetz wrote:

I could not get the board to run with a higher multiplier for the Pentiums and other CPU's (except AMD K6) even when using the Powerleap. I tried all multipliers possible. 2x multiplier is the maximum for this board

Have you tried to measure "multiplier pins" to ground/Vpp? Are they connected to something at all?
Because some time ago I've modified another Asus MB (P/I-AP55TV): there were only two jumpers for the multiplier but I wanted to install K6-2 and I needed third one to get CPU clock up.
So I found pins in socket and soldered external switch to control "third jumper".
If I remember correctly K6-2-300 was running at 83 MHz * 3.5 = 290 MHz.

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 14 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just picked up one of these Asus PCI/I-P54TP4 motherboards, for the sole purpose of the original Cyrix 6x86-80. Took a long time to find. I hope it works.

Vetz, what PCB rev do you have? The official Asus manual doesn't note the 40 MHz jumper settings. Did you jot it down?
EDIT: Found it. Interestingly enough, the 40 MHz setting is silk screened on the MB, but is not mentioned in the manual at all. 40 MHz: JP20/21/22/23 = 1-2/2-3/2-3/1-2

Reply 15 of 15, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trhat was my first Pentium board with a P100 and 512kb cache. Don’t ask me why - that number sounded good to me.

Only when having sold this board to a friend I played around in detail and I discovered the 80mhz setting which run fine at 1.5 with the P100.

What’s most important for me:
I also discovered that turning off l2 gave quite a large performance boost. I simply didn’t and do not have an explanation for that. If I remember correctly it was also not a bios error since when turned off in bios also HW checks showed no L2 - IF I remember correctly.
I first thought it might be a sync issue between my EDO and that async cache. But apparently not. Again no idea what’s the reason. I also remember that at that time fake cache modules were “modern”.

Anyway I was not very happy with the board at all since the P55tp4 with lot faster pb cache came out quite close after my purchase.

BR

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 | 386SX25@30 | 16MB | CL-GD5434 | CT2830| SCC-1 | MT32 | Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320
2) SIS486 | 486DX/2 66(@80) | 32MB | TGUI9440 | SG NX Pro 16 | LAPC-I