VOGONS


Reply 20 of 22, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ Check if your BIOS has options for '8bit/ 16bit IO Recovery Time' or something similar, and add more latency to see if that fixes it. Also try swapping 8bit/ 16bit around so that one has more latency than the other, and vice-versa. Just a suggestion if no one has tried this yet...

Reply 21 of 22, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't replace my motherboard, I changed CPU's, but perhaps more importantly, removed my network adapter. I have not put the network adapter back in the system, because I don't really need Ethernet connectivity for a system that old, so I cannot say for sure that there wasn't some conflict between the GUS and the network adapter. Although, for a while they coexisted harmoniously and the problem only "suddenly appeared".

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, Waveforce 192XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, ELSA Winner 1000PRO, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 22 of 22, by mOBSCENE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
j^aws wrote:

^^ Check if your BIOS has options for '8bit/ 16bit IO Recovery Time' or something similar, and add more latency to see if that fixes it. Also try swapping 8bit/ 16bit around so that one has more latency than the other, and vice-versa. Just a suggestion if no one has tried this yet...

Thanks for your suggestion. My BIOS only has an option for "IO Recovery Time". I've changed this from the default 0 to 1,2 and 3, but it did not have any effect on the distorted sound unfortunately.

LunarG wrote:

I didn't replace my motherboard, I changed CPU's, but perhaps more importantly, removed my network adapter. I have not put the network adapter back in the system, because I don't really need Ethernet connectivity for a system that old, so I cannot say for sure that there wasn't some conflict between the GUS and the network adapter. Although, for a while they coexisted harmoniously and the problem only "suddenly appeared".

Sorry, I misread that (changing CPU instead of mobo). Thanks for your reply.
I've removed the network adapter, but it sadly has no effect on the GUS. Also, I find it very convenient to have a network adapter available at my DOS machine, for imaging to a Samba share or copying new games over. So I'm kind of glad this is not causing the problem 😀

I will see if removing any other add-on card has an effect on the GUS. I really want to solve this!