VOGONS

First post, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I bought a 386DX40 motherboard a while a go to replace an existing motherboard which was in a case I bought off badmojo (http://goo.gl/KDeqPA). I bought it probably over 12 months ago but haven't really had any time to fire it up. Long story short, I powered it up this morning and well it powered on for around 10-15 seconds, no display and then the whole unit just powered itself off.

As part of my troubleshooting steps, I removed all the cards except the video card and attempted to power it back on. I noticed the system had power for a split second and then nothing. Scared I had blown the PSU, I put all the old parts back in the case and voila off she went again *phew*.

Can a bad motherboard blow up a power supply? Also is there anything/any point in attempting to troubleshoot this bad motherboard or should I just bin it? I'm worried about blowing the AT psu for obvious reasons 😀 Reasons for swapping the motherboard out was the fact it had a header for an external battery connector and some cache chips 😀 No corrosion that I can see on the board.

qsXaHtls.jpg
93TLYyAs.jpg

Reply 1 of 8, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this one of those mobo where the AT power connector is not Keyed? Not quite sure what would happen if the power was connected wrong ( like 2 red wires in the center) but I am pretty sure it would be bad.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 2 of 8, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MaxWar wrote:

Not quite sure what would happen if the power was connected wrong ( like 2 red wires in the center) but I am pretty sure it would be bad.

I've done that several times in the past by accident (being in a hurry or careless) and fortunately the PSU just failed to start, it probably sees a short circuit and shuts down.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 3 of 8, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MaxWar wrote:

Is this one of those mobo where the AT power connector is not Keyed?

No idea what that means by AT power connector is not keyed? I just assumed the two blacks go in the middle as per normal. The board was working when I bought it (supposedly).

Reply 4 of 8, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Normally there are little ''teeth' on the connector that prevents you from connecting power in reverse.
But apparently some mobo do not have them. I never saw one of those but I read about them.
Looking at the picture it was hard to see but I thought maybe yours did not have the ''teeth''.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 5 of 8, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MaxWar wrote:

Normally there are little ''teeth' on the connector that prevents you from connecting power in reverse.

Ah, nah definitely the power connectors only go in the "1D". Bad dad pun 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the board or a component has an electrical short then it could overload the PSU and cause it to shut off. In theory the PSU shuts off in time to protect itself but I think it could hurt the PSU if it keeps happening. I remember a PSU I used to "abuse" for testing unknown motherboards, and after subjecting it to a few too many overloads the PSU finally popped like a firecracker one day.

You could check for shorts on the board with a multimeter on the power input pins. If you get very low resistance from any of the voltage rails to the Gnd pins (or to any other voltage rail) then there's a problem. On ATX motherboards the resistance between rails is normally in the thousands of ohms, I don't know if an older board would be much different.

Reply 7 of 8, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:

You could check for shorts on the board with a multimeter on the power input pins. If you get very low resistance from any of the voltage rails to the Gnd pins (or to any other voltage rail) then there's a problem.

Thanks for this, I now need to get a multi meter, and then figure out which rails are the voltage rails 😜 I haven't used a multimeter in yearssssssssssssssss

Reply 8 of 8, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have no idea what happened, but just incase anyone comes across this thread, the motherboard just started working again. It's one of those weird things where it now boots each and everytime. Case closed!