VOGONS

Cannot install windows 2000 on my 486

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am having a problem installing windows 2000 on my 486. Yes I am aware it is too slow to use
and that I should use 95/98 whatever. But swapping OSes is easy with CF cards so I want to try it.

The specs are
Acer AP43 motherboard
64 MB RAM
AM486DX-120 CPU
S3 Virge 4 MB

I put a 2GB CF card in the slot and autodetected in the BIOS

First I tried using the Win2k Boot floppy images and once the floppies finished, it said Starting Windows 2000
and then it blue screened

*** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000094,0x8045C93B,0xFE5C24C8,0xFE5C9A08)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

*** Address 8045C93B base at 80x400000, DateStamp 384d5a76 - ntoskrnl.exe

I then did base installation of Windows 95 and tried to run a Windows 2000 upgrade.

It copyed files ok but when it rebooted, it did the same bluescreen.

Any ideas? I know some people have gotten win2k to work with 486 class machines.
I also know this disk is okay because I installed Win2k on an Athlon64 machine before

Reply 1 of 9, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am running Windows 2000 without a problem on a 486 DX4 100Mhz. Same amount of RAM and its surprisingly usable with a CF card as the boot device. I usually kick start the installation from DOS, just boot off of the Windows 98 startup disk. Run winnt.exe in the i386 directory. You can also use it to make a set of boot disks with the "/ox" switch.

Reply 2 of 9, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NJRoadfan wrote:

I am running Windows 2000 without a problem on a 486 DX4 100Mhz. Same amount of RAM and its surprisingly usable with a CF card as the boot device. I usually kick start the installation from DOS, just boot off of the Windows 98 startup disk. Run winnt.exe in the i386 directory. You can also use it to make a set of boot disks with the "/ox" switch.

I did that and it spends a LONG time copying files (1 1/2 hours!) and then it took me right back to that blue screen where it says Setup is starting Windows 2000 and then BSoD

--edit---
I disabled L2 and it is working

Reply 4 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspect your L2 timings are too tight for stable operation. Try using the same L2 cache settings, but bring the FSB down to 33 MHz. If W2K installs, then I suspect your L2 cache timings. Set the FSB back to 40 MHz and reinstall W2K with the slowest L2 timings. If W2K installs, speed up your L2 timings until you find the fastest stable setting.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 9, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suspect your L2 timings are too tight for stable operation. Try using the same L2 cache settings, but bring the FSB down to 33 MHz. If W2K installs, then I suspect your L2 cache timings. Set the FSB back to 40 MHz and reinstall W2K with the slowest L2 timings. If W2K installs, speed up your L2 timings until you find the fastest stable setting.

Well so far with it running, I have yet to have any random crashes in 2000 (except when something tries to execute a Pentium instruction)
But it looks like the W2K install is a good test. Maybe if I have time I will try it on a blank CF

You might want to try an nLited stripped-down install with that amount of RAM. Should ease the paging pressure a bit. (Perhaps less noticeable on a CF card)

I wouldn't know what to trim. I know that it is RAM heavy. The most annoying thing about 2000 for me is that how long it takes to be ready to go after first seeing the desktop

Reply 8 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

The most annoying thing about 2000 for me is that how long it takes to be ready to go after first seeing the desktop

I must say, I'm surprised that you got to it to run "quite usable" on your 486, considering that the minimum system requirements for Windows 2000 Pro (in its standard form) is a Pentium 133 MHz with 32 MB of RAM (and the recommended system requirements is a Pentium II with 128 MB of RAM).

If you do want to run a Windows NT based OS on your 486 and have more acceptable performance, perhaps try Windows NT 4.0 (or even Windows NT 3.51)?