VOGONS

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently I tried to update hdd in my Gateway2000, p90. It has Amibios 1.00.03 BS0T Previously it had <2gb hdd and no problems. Now I try to insert Maxtor 6GB (Model 90640d4). It works on other computers but this one does not see it. I typed Cylinders, Heads and Sectors in Bios - nothing. I boot into a system disk, choose fdisk - no fixed disk present pops up. I have no idea what else to do. There is no jumper on hdd, and no picture how to change it. What to do? I tried another 20Gb hdd but the same thing! On top of that I noticed that my monitor blinks after few minutes (not sure if related). Is the drive too big for that computer?

Reply 1 of 9, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say it's highly likely that the drives are too big yes. Chances are it's limited to 4GB.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 2 of 9, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know if size is an issue, it is possible of course, but have a look at the bottom of the disk. There is no chance whatsoever for a common IDE drive not to have a way of selecting master/slave. I'd put my money on small jumpers on the pcb side of it 😉
Their existence doesn't necessarily mean of course that it will solve your problem, but at least you'll rule out a wrong master/slave setting.

Reply 5 of 9, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

Maybe try a Promise UltraATA/66 controller? That's what I did with my Gateway 2000 P5-75.

Probably the best idea. As it's old hardware, I guess it's not impossible that the controller may have suddenly failed.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 6 of 9, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe do a zero fill on the drives first before placing them, some bad partition data may cause trouble. and or do a real clear cmos and do some new bios setting not using large settings for hdd detections.

Reply 7 of 9, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK guys. I just tried all my HDD with that Gateway2000. All of them failed, except:
- Conner CFS210A (685 CYL, 16 HDS, 38 SEC, 210Mb)
- Caviar 22000 (3876 CYL, 16 HDS, 63 SEC, 2000.3Mb)
Rest failed:
- Seagate ST3660A (545.5Mb)
- Maxtor N256 (6000Mb)
- WD800 (80GB)
- Hitachi HDS7280 (80GB)

What is going on?
Settings in Bios? Or really hdd must be <4gb, but in that case it didn't recognized that 0.5GB seagate.

Reply 8 of 9, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just fixed this problem with my Hitachi Microdrive twenty minutes ago. It was driving me crazy. In the BIOS, I turned off the "auto" settings for the hard drive (highlight the hard drive model and click enter) and then disabled Ultra DMA in the following menu. Was able to use FDISK and format.

Reply 9 of 9, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't see settings like that in my Bios (Amibios 1.00.03 BS0T)
When I choose a Hard Disk C: (Not Installed) I have following options:

Hard Disk Type User Definable
Number of Cylinders 0
Number of Heads 0
Number of Sectors 0
Maximum Capacity 0

Installation Timeout - Disabled

IDE Translation Mode - Auto Detect
Multiple Sector Settings - Auto Detect
Fast Programmed I/O Modes - Auto Detect

Maybe I should update the Bios? Again it is

AMIBIOS (C) 1992 American Megatrends, Inc.
BIOS Version 1.00.03.BS0T

I'm not sure what board Gateway2K P5-90 has (I think my Processor was updated to p120) but can you tell me how to update it?

Perhaps I should just buy another Caviar 2200 on ebay