VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I received this recently, a NOS Voyetra V-4001 Intelligent MIDI Interface. Included below is just some photos for now but I’ll report back with whether it’s actually 100% Roland compatible or not when I get a chance to test it – both the box and the manual make a point of stating that it’s “100% software compatible”, which I find vaguely alarming. See the “V-4001 vs the MPU-401” section of the manual (included below) for the differences, I’m hoping this doesn’t have any implications for DOS games.

I’ll copy the disks and put them in VogonDrivers too if they contain anything interesting.

DSCN0569_zpsb7652e24.jpg

DSCN0572_zpsefcc8a85.jpg

DSCN0579_zps8c23cfaa.jpg

DSCN0580_zps9ef1f150.jpg

DSCN0583_zps88682cb9.jpg

DSCN0588_zpsc146a7ba.jpg

DSCN0589_zps7743debc.jpg

DSCN0592_zpsd2a991e2.jpg

DSCN0598_zps1e76b207.jpg

DSCN0599_zps74ef5bdc.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 14, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I owned a V-4001 years ago and found it to be 100%, "games-compatible" with the MPU-401. Voyetra really would have needed to screw something up for it to be anything but, given the use of Roland's own chipset.

Reply 3 of 14, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As they say the hardware is different.

There is no DIN SYNC output connector. Even if there was, do you have other MIDI gear with DIN SYNC input connector? I doubt any game would need or utilize it, and cannot know if the connector is missing.

There is no second MIDI output connector. If you connect to a single MIDI synthesizer, you don't need dual outputs, and even then you can use an external splitter or chain the synthesizer boxes. Only useful if you need two outputs, for example to different synthesizer modules that can be powered off if not needed. Games don't know how many output connectors there are (they output the same data).

There is no internal speaker for metronome. If you need to hear metronome ticks, connect the metronome output connector to some amp/speaker/whatever. Games would not see the speaker is missing, and would a game use the metronome tick for anything anyway (ok, they could use it for something and then you would hear it only through the connector).

Reply 4 of 14, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:

I owned a V-4001 years ago and found it to be 100%, "games-compatible" with the MPU-401. Voyetra really would have needed to screw something up for it to be anything but, given the use of Roland's own chipset.

Yes it seems to be, it passed the 'Gateway' test anyway.

Voyetra shaved a few cents off the production costs by not providing any jumpers for IRQ and port number, which is a shame, but I like the compact external input/output module.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do we have any idea what the roland chipset actually is?
Are it's chips rebranded commonly available ones or are they completely custom?
That 40pin IC could be a Z8 coupled with some SRAM (the MOSTEK chip) and the firmware (on that smd roland chip near the connector) , much like the Music Quest card...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 14, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Do we have any idea what the roland chipset actually is?
Are it's chips rebranded commonly available ones or are they completely custom?
That 40pin IC could be a Z8 coupled with some SRAM (the MOSTEK chip) and the firmware (on that smd roland chip near the connector) , much like the Music Quest card...

The Roland MPU-401 "chipset" basically consists of a microcontroller, in this case a Hitachi HD6801A74 or HD6801VOB55P, a Roland/Hitachi Bus Interface Unit, the HD61J22F, an 6116 8KB S-RAM chip and some glue logic. If the HD6801A74 is used, there will also be an 8KB ROM or EPROM, which is embedded in the HD6801VOB55P. The glue logic will always contain an opto-isolator for the MIDI IN. The chipset is fairly generic except for the ROM code, but the parts are not easy to find these days.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 8 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ ah , thanks for that...
so chances are that Music Quest just ported the code to the Z8 (and MidiMan to a Siemens MCU IIRC or maybe all 3 are compatible with each other and they just licensed the rom code) so they could manufacture cards without Roland's chips...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 14, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a V-4000 which is very similar but without support for FSK sync. I've imaged the floppies that came with it.

voy_vapi.ima - VAPI Drivers disk ver. 1.35
voy_spg1.ima - Sequencer Plus Gold Demo version 4.09 Disk #1: Sequencer/install
voy_spg2.ima - Sequencer Plus Gold Demo Sequencer Disk #2 4.09

These are 360k disk images.
Feel free to put these on vogonsdrivers (I don't have a login).

Attachments

• Filename
    voy_v4k.zip
    File size
    865.35 KiB
    Downloads
    128 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 14, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dacow wrote:

Does anyone know the difference between a V-4001 and a OP-4001?

pretty sure the difference is mostly to do with sync + expansion options (for more midi outputs)

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 13 of 14, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

how come i cant seem to edit my messages anymore? was there a change in vogons forum policy?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 14 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrisNova777 wrote:

how come i cant seem to edit my messages anymore? was there a change in vogons forum policy?

It's only temporary, someone went a bit crazy and we're still cleaning up: Suddenly can't edit posts anymore?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto