VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to get Digital out of Wave DaughterBoards?
And also, what is a good Sound Font for General MIDI?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 11, by TwOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know about the first thing. I have seen a version of this with a breakout box that does have Digital Out, but not sure if the Daughterboards also work with it.

For soundfonts:

I currently use and love the SC-55.sf2 soundfont. It's 49.2MB and is basically the way better cousin of gm.dls. It's pretty hard to find, and doesn't sound like a real Roland but it's very close.
chorium.sf2 is a neat one, has good basses, and is definitely the way to go in Rock/Metal. 27.3MB.
PCLite.sf2 is a pretty good allround one, I don't recommend the guitars though. 29.9MB.

A 90's kid reliving the 90's.
Win8.1: Core i5-4200H, GeForce 840M 2GB, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Win7: Athlon II X2 220, GeForce GT 610 1GB, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD
WinXP: Pentium 4 HT 3GHz, GeForce2 GTS 32MB, 1.5GB RAM, 20+80GB HDDs

Reply 2 of 11, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

Is it possible to get Digital out of Wave DaughterBoards?

Normally: no way, analog only.
Maybe if you mod the daughterboard with a S/PDIF chip and such. Like jwt27 did with his NEC XG daughterboard, IIRC.

I think Stojke means EWS specific soundbanks: extension .94b instead of .SF2.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 11, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

I have a Creative CT1910 with a TTL SPDIF output. Not all CT1910 cards
have the connector soldered on though.

The CT1910 is more commonly known as the WAVE BLASTER II.

I have it available to test if you can interested in hearing it's output.

Co-incidentally I have it attached to a TERRATEC, but in this case
the DMX6FIRE which has a WAVE BLASTER connecter in it's
front panel and also a TTL SPDIF (CD) input on the card itself.

Bye

Reply 4 of 11, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I heard some samples from Wave Blaster II and they sound kinda damper (not so bright sound colors). But sure, if you can record some 😀 (Warcraft 2, Duke Nukem 3D EP3)
I have fixed mine DB60XG (NEC XR385) and was wondering can i get SPDIF via Terratec. But after reading latter it seems it is not possible with out hardware modification of the card it self (gerwin).

And yeah I am searching for .94b

Reply 5 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess you checked already Vogonsdrivers: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=144 ?
The Wavetable Soundfont Loader in Win9x for the Dream based cards can typically load DLS also.
There are ways to convert SF2 to DLS. So you could go to way to try even more soundfonts.
However some soundfont properties may be lost by conversion.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 11, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lo

Stojke wrote:

I heard some samples from Wave Blaster II and they sound kinda damper (not so bright sound colors). But sure, if you can record some 😀 (Warcraft 2, Duke Nukem 3D EP3)
I have fixed mine DB60XG (NEC XR385) and was wondering can i get SPDIF via Terratec. But after reading latter it seems it is not possible with out hardware modification of the card it self (gerwin).

I don't have warcraft but do have the duke nukem 3d cd with the midi goodies directory.
I will try and locate the warcraft midi files.

DN 3d EP3 sounds terrible on this card, but I will see about recording it over the weekend.

It does sound better when playing slightly older tracks, some of SYSTEM SHOCK
sound reasonably good, but then again, some sound awful.

It's an inconsistent card for gaming and it may sound great one moment then really
bad the next.

Bye 😀

Reply 7 of 11, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Terratec EWS64XL can eat 94B and TTS banks. Both formats are proprietary and closed. I have asked Dream for 94B specs but they said they can't support product that old.

There are [unreliable] ways to convert SF2 banks to 94B or TTS. First way is to convert SF2 to DLS, then convert DLS to 94B using 94WBANK program. Although this program doesn't work with Terratec cards. It needs something like Guillemot MaxiSound 64 or Maxi Studio ISIS. I didn't really try this method yet.

Second way is to convert to TTS using Ed!son program coming with Terratec EWS64XL. Not very reliable too, it seems that TTS format has inherent limitations that wouldn't allow some [larger?] SF2 banks to be converted.

Here are 94B and TTS versions of AWE32 ROM bank I made long ago. Don't quite remember if everything works correctly though.

Attachments

• Filename
    awerom.zip
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Downloads
    78 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 8 of 11, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lo

I made some recordings.

Stojke wrote:

I heard some samples from Wave Blaster II and they sound kinda damper (not so bright sound colors).

Btw, damp means wet, you meant to say `dull' here 😀

I don't think the WB II is that dull though and my previous assessment
is harsh because it sounds OK in DN 3D and it's more my memory which
is awful and terrible.

You can find the audio here:
http://www.kewl.org/Game%20Midi%20Audio/

Have fun, Bye 😀

Reply 9 of 11, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I head it was possible to load SF2 as well?
And yeah, i downloaded those files from Vogons Drivers, the 8MB set sounds pretty nice. I loaded a small drum kit as well (32 MB module installed).
Stainberg Sound Bank produces no sound, dont know why.

Maybe there are some technical documents around for 94B?

AWE 1MB ROM is terrible 🤣

--

Thank you very much Sklawz 😁
Oh i see, i meant to say dull, as in boring and not... Bright... 🤣.

I will listen to them, so far DB60XG sounds amazing on my AWE 32.
I heard some say Wave Blaster I is the shit, but from what i heard it isn't really all that good either.

Do you know how much do Roland SC-55 and Roland SCB-7 differ? Also SCB-7 compared to Terratec Maestro 32/96?

Reply 10 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The help of the Bank Mapper 2.0 third party tool for 94B soundfonts states a convenient way to convert SF2 to 94B.
However they refer to sf.exe from Kieran Tyrrell which was available at www.ews64.com on this page
http://web.archive.org/web/20080314220936/htt … ubuserapps.html

However the downloads refer to ftp://www.ews64.com which was not archived.
So does anyone have this tool or does anyone got a backup of ftp://www.ews64.com ?

For the sf.exe tool they refer also to Terratec UK as source. However I couldn't find it there.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 11, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I find it extremely retarded that i can find Kieran Tyrrell full living address and flat number but no email contact. And lInkedIn wants me to PAY 20 euro so i can send him a message. Disappointed.