VOGONS

First post, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of the thoughts I've always had (and a topic I've seen come up frequently on various vintage forums) is the idea of a hardware MP3 acceleration card. This would seem most useful in ISA format (and even ISA should have the bandwidth to push MP3s through) but the consensus seems to be such a thing never existed.

While scouring the intertubes as it were, I've come upon the Diamond MX400 sound card. It claims support for hardware MP3 decode. It's a PCI card, which means the range of systems that would benefit is small, but I guess it could make multitasking on a 486 more realistic.

One could also underclock a 486 and see just how much the board helps.

Unfortunately these don't seem to be too common. Has anyone around here had experience with this board (or other hardware MP3 assist?)

Reply 1 of 6, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Hercules GameTheater XP, which claims to have hardware MP3 decoding, which seems stupid for a card targeted at P3+ systems.

http://www.dansdata.com/gtxp.htm

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 6, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dont think a hardware ISA MP3 Decoder exists as such however something close to it are the Mpeg decoder cards but im not sure they support any sound formats directly, only through mpeg video files.

I have another card which I haven't tested yet which is a Digigram PCX-20 broadcast card used in radio stations.
"PCX and LCM cards perform real-time, simultaneous MPEG Layer I and Layer II compression and decompression during record and playback. Support provided for Layers I and II of the MPEG Audio standard (ISO 11172-3) and the low sampling frequencies of the MPEG-2 Audio standard (ISO 13818-3)."

http://www.digigram.com/products/product_info … 9250&mode=specs

It basically states it will playback .mp2 audio files not sure if you need to use propreitry software or not, I think this card is the closest thing you will get to hardware decoding for audio and lets face it .mp2 sounds pretty good anyway,.

Reply 3 of 6, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz which claims to offload mp3 playback but I haven't been able to test it. I want to compare playback with a Create Labs Ensoniq board to see if there is any CPU load difference.

Product Overview

The Santa Cruz represents the ultimate in DSP-accelerated, multiple channel
audio hardware for the PC featuring:

* Cirrus Logic SoundFusion(R) DSP architecture offloads MP3 playback
and other audio tasks from your PC's processor.

Reply 4 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A question is which playback software will interface with these DSPs.

And I also wonder if they might be playing the advertising game and just marketing with MP3 buzzwords and don't actually specifically do MP3 decode at all. They could just be talking about hardware DirectSound mixing and pretending that makes a tangible speed boost to music playback.

Reply 5 of 6, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CS46XX based cards like Santa Cruz have a DirectShow filter (CWCMP3.AX) in their drivers for MP3 decoding. I have been able to use it with Media Player Classic. But don't get too excited about it - it's buggy (garbled sound and dropouts every few minutes).
No idea about those Maestro/Canyon3D-based cards.