VOGONS

First post, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

not to screw up this thread complete ( Sound Blaster Live! DOS Drivers ) I start a new one.

I switched now my well working GA-5SMM from Box1 to Box2 (Signature) because I thought the PV42 have a PCI problem. I got a ATI Rage 128Pro, SB Live 5.1 SB0680 and SB Audigy SB0570 which gets recognized by both boards and also by Win98 (unknown video/audio device) but no driver wants to work. They all say they don't find a corresponding card in the system.

I thought I have experience with all this but now I'm at a hold. Can it be really possible that all 3 cards don't work??? From different sellers? I don't believe so.

The GA-5SMM worked very well with my V3 3000 PCI. I also tested it now without any cards in the XION case with Wing Commander 4. I used all the onboard hardware - driver install Win98 without any problems. SiS Video and ESS solo audio - In dos6.22 and win98. Works like charm.

Is there a possibility that the PSU in the XION case could case the problem? .... in general what I noticed is that the main chips on the 128Pro and also the SB gets very hot - even in standard dos idle.

any ideas?

thanks
M.

BOX#1: new rebuild no case currently | ASUS P5A | Pentium1 200 | 64MB PC100 | Voodoo3 AGP | AWE64 GOLD + SIMMConn| 16GB Kingspec DOM | DVD Drive | Dos 6.22 + Win98

Reply 1 of 5, by Holering

User metadata

Your cards probably work fine, assuming your computer booted and showed post with no problem.

When a driver doesn't work that's most likely the driver at fault (software problem; not a hardware problem).

Try manually installing the driver. Right click "My Computer" and go to properties; then select device manager tab. Double click the device (sound card or video card without proper driver), click driver tab, and click "update driver" button (might be "update driver", or "reinstall driver"). Choose to locate driver manually, choose appropriate device, and browse to folder containing driver files. Compatible driver should show on the list, if not, click to show all hardware devices for that driver. If you see one that matches your PCI card click okay to install even if it warns you it might not work (only if you're sure it is compatible!).

I've had to install drivers this way many times. I have a rage 128 Vr PCI card, but ATI's latest rage 128 driver doesn't recognize my particular VR model. I have to force the driver to install as an Expert 2000. It works because they both have the same chip and 64bit memory bus. Sometimes this doesn't work as expected with certain hardware however, so be careful. Live! cards have very picky drivers and can give you problems for instance, even though they are all so similar. There's a way to hack audigy 2 driver disc and install it for Live! cards even, but it's very tricky and you have to follow steps perfectly and ignore some errors.

Good luck!

Reply 2 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maw wrote:
Is there a possibility that the PSU in the XION case could case the problem? .... in general what I noticed is that the main ch […]
Show full quote

Is there a possibility that the PSU in the XION case could case the problem? .... in general what I noticed is that the main chips on the 128Pro and also the SB gets very hot - even in standard dos idle.

any ideas?

thanks
M.

What PSU's do your 2 rigs have?
Brand? Modelnumber?
How many amps are on the 5v and 12v rails? (should be printed on a sticker on the sides of the PSU's)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 5, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it have the appropriate VIA chipset driver?
http://download.viatech.com/DriverDownloadSubmitAjaxSvl
4.43 seems to be the suggested version for "retro chipset" MVP# / Apollo
The "retro OS" 4.35 might be too far back for the chipset

Reply 4 of 5, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Holering wrote:

YI've had to install drivers this way many times. I have a rage 128 Vr PCI card, but ATI's latest rage 128 driver doesn't recognize my particular VR model. I have to force the driver to install as an Expert 2000. It works because they both have the same chip and 64bit memory bus. Sometimes this doesn't work as expected with certain hardware however, so be careful. Live! cards have very picky drivers and can give you problems for instance, even though they are all so similar. There's a way to hack audigy 2 driver disc and install it for Live! cards even, but it's very tricky and you have to follow steps perfectly and ignore some errors.

yes, by installing the ATI driver manual I got it to work but still the chip gets super hot. regarding to the SB live! & Audigy I have tried every driver (incl. original cd's)

Tetrium wrote:

What PSU's do your 2 rigs have? Brand? Modelnumber?
How many amps are on the 5v and 12v rails? (should be printed on a sticker on the sides of the PSU's)

In the XION Case where no card really works is the original XION PSU. All data in attachment pic.

Filename
IMAG1070.jpg
File size
1.55 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
xion el-300
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Matth79 wrote:
Does it have the appropriate VIA chipset driver? http://download.viatech.com/DriverDownloadSubmitAjaxSvl 4.43 seems to be the su […]
Show full quote

Does it have the appropriate VIA chipset driver?
http://download.viatech.com/DriverDownloadSubmitAjaxSvl
4.43 seems to be the suggested version for "retro chipset" MVP# / Apollo
The "retro OS" 4.35 might be too far back for the chipset

yes the proper driver was installed on the PV42 board, same on the GA-5SMM (sis) and like in my first post all onboard components on the GA-5SMM works just fine (sound/vga). ... o O (kind of "bad" that the onboard ESS solo 1 emulate just SB pro.)

Mario

BOX#1: new rebuild no case currently | ASUS P5A | Pentium1 200 | 64MB PC100 | Voodoo3 AGP | AWE64 GOLD + SIMMConn| 16GB Kingspec DOM | DVD Drive | Dos 6.22 + Win98

Reply 5 of 5, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got now my P5A for the big box as replacement and both SB cards also do not work. The board self works just fine with my V3 (PCI and AGP), AWE64 and NIC. So I will try now a low profile CT5807. Hope I have more luck with that bay buy.