User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My must-have programs for DOS are:
- 4DOS
- UIDE
- SetEDIT
- GNU fileutils (I rarely use *nix so this isn't out of habit - cp/mv/ls/du etc are simply much more versatile tools than their DOS counterparts)
- AdTrack2
- MTRRLFBE
- Info-ZIP
- mTCP suite
- SHSUCDX

for Windows:
- PowerStrip
- Winamp
- Cool Edit
- f.lux
- SpeedCrunch
- WinCDEmu
- 7zip
- Universal Extractor
- Irfanview

Some things I'm still looking for: a decent hex editor for both DOS and Windows, and a good text editor for Windows (some hybrid of SETEDIT and Notepad++ would be perfect)

Last edited by jwt27 on 2014-06-10, 18:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21 of 32, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HEY, JWT! 😀

jwt27 wrote:

- Cool Edit

While I do like Cool Edit Pro (I forget offhand the version, I have the one from 1999), here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet: GoldWave v4.26... that one is an absolute MUST for me as far as general digital audio editing 😀

jwt27 wrote:

Some things I'm still looking for: a decent hex editor for both DOS and Windows

I myself have been using an ancient DOS artifact for literally decades now called "FED (FileEDit) v1.65", and still use it even today under Windows XP -> ftp://ftp.chatnfiles.com/Simtel-CDroms/Simtel … ryed/fed165.zip . Works great in DOS, under DOSBox, as well as under Windows XP too 😀

Attachments

• FileEDit_v.1.65_Help_Screen.gif
    Filename
    FileEDit_v.1.65_Help_Screen.gif
    File size
    14.9 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    FED (FileEDit) v1.65 Help Screen: ftp://ftp.chatnfiles.com/Simtel-CDroms/Simtel-for-Ms-Dos-Jan-2001/simtel/binaryed/fed165.zip
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • FileEDit_v.1.65.gif
    Filename
    FileEDit_v.1.65.gif
    File size
    20.2 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    FED (FileEDit) v1.65: ftp://ftp.chatnfiles.com/Simtel-CDroms/Simtel-for-Ms-Dos-Jan-2001/simtel/binaryed/fed165.zip
    File license
Last edited by rfnagel on 2014-06-10, 16:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 22 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My preferred hex editor is XVI32, though I occasionally use FrHed. FrHed has some ability to compare two separate files – though not very well, and I wish there was something better.

For audio editing, I use Audacity, mostly because it is free.

My scientific calculator of choice used to be the PowerCalc powertoy in XP, but I understand that is not supported in Vista/7/etc.

Reply 23 of 32, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

My scientific calculator of choice used to be the PowerCalc powertoy in XP, but I understand that is not supported in Vista/7/etc.

Are you referring to "Calculator Plus" (downloadable from MS's site)? If so, I would see no reason why that wouldn't run on Vista+.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 25 of 32, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:

HEY, JWT! 😀

While I do like Cool Edit Pro (I forget offhand the version, I have the one from 1999), here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet: GoldWave v4.26... that one is an absolute MUST for me as far as general digital audio editing 😀

Hey Weeds, how are you doing? 😀

Just had a look at some Goldwave screenshots and it sure looks useful.. Especially that expression evaluator 😳
Any reason to pick 4.26 over the latest 5.70 (or 6.05 beta) though?

rfnagel wrote:

I myself have been using an ancient DOS artifact for literally decades now called "FED (FileEDit) v1.65", and still use it even today under Windows XP -> ftp://ftp.chatnfiles.com/Simtel-CDroms/Simtel … ryed/fed165.zip . Works great in DOS, under DOSBox, as well as under Windows XP too 😀

Jorpho wrote:

My preferred hex editor is XVI32, though I occasionally use FrHed. FrHed has some ability to compare two separate files – though not very well, and I wish there was something better.

Thanks, will try those 😀
Must say that I don't use hex editors all that often but whenever I do need one, I can never seem to find one that's as intuitive and easy to use as say, SETEDIT.

Jorpho wrote:

I used to have that too on XP, but stopped using it in favour of SpeedCrunch (don't recall why, exactly). I really do miss the graphing part and custom functions though.

Last edited by jwt27 on 2014-06-10, 18:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26 of 32, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have spent LOTS of hours to find a good DOS Hex Editor... my favorites after my search are PSEDIT:

qrn0q1.jpg

and then ofcourse Hiew that need no introduction IMHO.

And here is a shot of 95% of the utils in my essential list, it's what gets installed with my personalized DOS installation:

oh0j9i.jpg

not pictured are mTCP that goes to it's own directory and "The Last Byte Memory Manager" that I found to work very well with my 386/486 boards

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27 of 32, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rfnagel wrote:
Oh man, the memories... that's one that I used to use as well :) Been a while, but IIRC it even supported loading the module's s […]
Show full quote
Stojke wrote:

I have been searching for interesting Windows 3.11 applications, but found nothing spectacular, except Mod4Win.

Oh man, the memories... that's one that I used to use as well 😀 Been a while, but IIRC it even supported loading the module's samples into the onboard sample RAM of my AWE32 cards (similar to how Cubic Player for DOS can/did). Hence you can use EMU8K reverb and chorus effects when playing back Tracker tunes 😀

Just remembered a few other Windows XP (and higher) essentials:

The BASSMIDI SoundFont Compatible Software Synthesizer Driver for MIDI music playback (if you don't have a SoundFont compatible sound card).

XMPlay Media Player (also supports a MIDI Plugin by the same author that uses SoundFonts).

Most any form of Paint Shop Pro.

Norton Ghost under Windows XP for cloning hard drives (for full mirror-image system backups).

And... you ready for this one? The old "Macro Recorder" ("Recorder.exe") for Windows 3.x, that I STILL even use today under Windows XP 😀

Awesome, i should try those players 😁
I didn't know macro recorder was useful.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 28 of 32, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

Ew, what a useless-looking app... No, I am referring to Power Calculator.

Thanks for that link... all I can say is WOW! 😀 Gonna be checking that one out ASAP 😀

jwt27 wrote:

Hey Weeds, how are you doing? 😀

Doing quite well, thanks! 😀

jwt27 wrote:

Just had a look at some Goldwave screenshots and it sure looks useful.. Especially that expression evaluator 😳 Any reason to pick 4.26 over the latest 5.70 (or 6.05 beta) though?

My memory is foggy... IIRC GoldWave was bought out by someone else, and then the program was too bloated and complex for my usage and taste. Then again, I'm really not sure about that... it's been a while 🤣!

That being said, v4.26 will do just about anything that you "need to do" 😀

I even used the older 16-bit version(s) under Windows 3.x for many years (same thing with Total Commander, and Paint Shop Pro as well).

Stojke wrote:

Awesome, i should try those players 😁

XMPlay is really quite something... a nice all-around fully-feature media player.

And, the BASSMIDI Driver (you prolly know this already) provides for a global Windows MIDI driver that fully supports SoundFonts, as well as most GM/GS controller and effects... it's as CLOSE AS ONE CAN GET to having *REAL* EMU8K/EMU10K SoundFont hardware 😀 😀 Blows the CRAP out of Timidity+ too <grin> 😀

Stojke wrote:

I didn't know macro recorder was useful.

Oh, man... I use the old Macro Recorder all of the time 😀 It's GREAT for repetitive text editing tasks, and even provides for some automated hotkeys for some Windows games and applications (e.g. Startcraft, CakeWalk Professional, NotePad, just to name a few) 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 29 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

For audio editing, I use Audacity, mostly because it is free.

I second XVI32, been using it for years and it's really handy. Also for modding certain files for bf2 (provided the string sizes remain the same, otheriwse it won't work)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 32, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

XMPLAY is a nice player, but why can't I play AHX,THX and other formats of the DeliPlayer.
The Plugin had been put into the folder, but still no files were recognized?

Any Idea?

Thx
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 31 of 32, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FastLynx V2.0

One of the Best Laplink/Nullmodem Cable Software 😀

fx_001.png
Filename
fx_001.png
File size
4.77 KiB
Views
File license

Action:
Left 286 PC, Right Linux PC running Dosbox with USB-2 Serial Converter.

fx_002.png
Filename
fx_002.png
File size
7.86 KiB
Views
File license

Using Dosbox as Master it runs only 19200 Baud stable.
Using the 286 as Master it runs full 115200 Baud.

just modifiy dosbox.conf add real Comport as Reference and you can pass it trough.

F-Prot Antivirus:
I use it to desinfect old DOS Floppys etc. (Cascade 1704 / Parity B etc..) (Run with /OLD otherwise it complains about date wrong/outdated)

f-prot_000.png
Filename
f-prot_000.png
File size
5.06 KiB
Views
File license

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board