VOGONS

Reply 22 of 42, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thread is only a year old so its hardly a necro 😜

I just want to add another version of the color coding in case someone ends up finding a similar PS/2 bracket to mine. The only wire colour that makes sense is the yellow for +5V and thats the only wire I diddnt have to move around. It seems there exists other boards with a similar horse shoe 8 pin connector using the same 4 pins but with totally different pinout.

This was how the connector and wires were when I found it, the colours of the wires totally makes sense when looking at the Asus pinout pictures but it diddnt work.

Other_pinout.jpg
Filename
Other_pinout.jpg
File size
12.46 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is how they are now with the PS/2 bracket actually working with the Asus PVI-486SP3.

Asus_pinout.jpg
Filename
Asus_pinout.jpg
File size
12.43 KiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 23 of 42, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so why is it that artex + i both ordered the same part..
the PLATE6F from startech.com and i got one that has a 2x5 pin header..
and he got one with a 2x4 header????????????
are u positive u ordered from startech the plate6F + not another companies offering artex?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 24 of 42, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrisNova777 wrote:
so why is it that artex + i both ordered the same part.. the PLATE6F from startech.com and i got one that has a 2x5 pin header.. […]
Show full quote

so why is it that artex + i both ordered the same part..
the PLATE6F from startech.com and i got one that has a 2x5 pin header..
and he got one with a 2x4 header????????????
are u positive u ordered from startech the plate6F + not another companies offering artex?

This is the one:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-6-Pin-Mini … F/dp/B0002AFZV2

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 25 of 42, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes and what colors are the wires on yours.. yellow.red.brown(or orange?), + green right?
4 wires..
can u please take a photo of your connector
u are using the same motherboard (VL/I-486SV2GX4)
+ the same part that i have (PLATE6F)

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 26 of 42, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrisNova777 wrote:
yes and what colors are the wires on yours.. yellow.red.brown(or orange?), + green right? 4 wires.. can u please take a photo of […]
Show full quote

yes and what colors are the wires on yours.. yellow.red.brown(or orange?), + green right?
4 wires..
can u please take a photo of your connector
u are using the same motherboard (VL/I-486SV2GX4)
+ the same part that i have (PLATE6F)

See the wire colors here: PS/2 Bracket for Asus Motherboard Header

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 27 of 42, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was your part 10pin originally
mine was in a 10pin config 2x5 and i had to remove the wires by pulling back the tabs in this connector..

i dont understand how u could have gotten a 2x4 connector from startech PLATE6F item.. i have the bag here and it even says its 10 pin IDC
even the picture on the link u just posted above shows a 10pin header - yet u posted a pic of a 8 pin header.. with different colors than mine

how could u possibly have gotten them to give u a part that is so different from mine?
mov8l.jpg
is this the part that u got? 100% from STARTECH in a bag that said PLATE6F?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.8 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.29 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 28 of 42, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was Asus intentionally trying to make things difficult? I had the same trouble with my Asus P5A-B board. Both the USB and PS/2 connections were combined on a single header. The board never came with the optional USB+PS/2 card, instead I was left with a single PS/2 port connector taking up the entire header. What was the point of doing that?? I ended up rewiring the port to a shorter connector so I could make room for the USB connector. Dumb.

Reply 29 of 42, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, I looked back at my eBay purchase history - I bought these: 2 x 4 pin headers on them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281318970886

I was originally trying to find one outside of eBay and saw the Startech one, but that's not what I ordered.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 30 of 42, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok thanks for that artex.. because i was about to lose my mind 🤣 😀
that was the only rational conclusion that i could come to was that u must have got a different part......... which is why. me trying to follow your wires.. has led me nowhere 🙁

Reply 31 of 42, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrisNova777 wrote:

ok thanks for that artex.. because i was about to lose my mind 🤣 😀
that was the only rational conclusion that i could come to was that u must have got a different part......... which is why. me trying to follow your wires.. has led me nowhere 🙁

Sorry man! This is the first time I actually had a chance to sit down to look at these posts in dept. New baby here and not much sleep.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 32 of 42, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

can u offer any other information re getting the mouse to work via the ps2 header.. bios setting?
did u run mouse.com? everytime i run mouse.com nothing gets found.. and cutemouse ctmouse just installs something for com1.. doesnt say anything about the ps2
ive been trying to get my 486 up + running since july man.. its gonna be xmas time by the time i figure this out
🙁

Reply 33 of 42, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrisNova777 wrote:
can u offer any other information re getting the mouse to work via the ps2 header.. bios setting? did u run mouse.com? everytime […]
Show full quote

can u offer any other information re getting the mouse to work via the ps2 header.. bios setting?
did u run mouse.com? everytime i run mouse.com nothing gets found.. and cutemouse ctmouse just installs something for com1.. doesnt say anything about the ps2
ive been trying to get my 486 up + running since july man.. its gonna be xmas time by the time i figure this out
🙁

Jp7 is for the mouse. I attached my scanned manual.

Attachments

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 34 of 42, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok i have something to report..
last nite i changed JP7 from enabled to disabled..
and i switched my io controller from the usual VLB winbond one ive been using
to an ISA winbond one (i have just these 2 different io controllers.)

i messed around with some jumpers on the iocontroller and managed
to enable com 2 which was disabled before. and connecting the mouse to it
i got the serial mouse to work in windows last nite for the first time
but the mouse pointer was very slow + not quite usable properly
perhaps someone has some ideas as to what could be wrong? whether the com port is damaged?
or somehow configured wrong with speed or uart flow control settings?

so.. am i correct to assume that this JP7 switch to enable irq12/PS2mouse works like a toggle?
ie set to the on position, the ps2 mouse header is used.. and needs to be set to the off/disabled position in
order to use a serial mouse? ie: the two cannot be used at the same time?
or maybe this i just a coincidence that i turned this switch off and had the serial mouse work for the first time?

i did also notice that someone has put a red mark on the side of the pcb of this ISA winbond controller
positioned under the com1 connector as tho someone was marking that this com port is bad??

also i just called startech.com and put in a request for them to find out the pinout info for me
they said it could take a few days to get back to me 😒

Reply 35 of 42, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrisNova777 wrote:
so.. am i correct to assume that this JP7 switch to enable irq12/PS2mouse works like a toggle? ie set to the on position, the ps […]
Show full quote

so.. am i correct to assume that this JP7 switch to enable irq12/PS2mouse works like a toggle?
ie set to the on position, the ps2 mouse header is used.. and needs to be set to the off/disabled position in
order to use a serial mouse? ie: the two cannot be used at the same time?
or maybe this i just a coincidence that i turned this switch off and had the serial mouse work for the first time?

Just a coincidence. You can have a PS/2 mouse and a serial one plugged in at the first time. For DOS the driver will pick the one that comes first on its detection routine (probably the PS/2, it it is working) or the one you specify through command line switches.

Reply 36 of 42, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks for the repsonse alexanrs
i noticed the microsoft version of mouse.com has switches for specifying com port number or ps2 etc
but i was actually using mouse.exe from the mouseware logitech package from the vogons drivrs page mouseware 7.2
it worked once with my non VLB io controller on com2... i think com1 is non functional for some reason..

Reply 37 of 42, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here r images of the actual io controllers I have

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.79 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.61 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 38 of 42, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SERIAL MOUSE SOLVED!
like i posted in another thread my problem was 100% related to differences in serial wiring for the connecting wire between the io controller + The mouse
the wire i was using had a different more modern wiring scheme? im still trying to find the particulars on the differences in serial wiring.. !!!
all that frustration because of a stupid wire

as far as PS2 goes..
i am waiting to hear back from startech.com re: the plate6f pin out.. i will post that info when + if i get it from them for the benefit of others!

Reply 39 of 42, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem. This is what I found with regards to the wiring of the StarTech cables:
red - gnd
brown - data
yellow - clock
green - +5V
I plugged the individual cables onto their respective pins on the board and it worked with my Intelli PS/2 Mouse.