VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the purpose is to get a 486 as fast as possible(not really the fastest in the world, but as fast as i can make it), to run games and applications as new as possible, and to perform at least some daily work so as to show everyone how it feels.

1. videocard choice: i want it to run opengl and at least some d3d games, but there are some limitations: pci compatibility, and whether the drivers can run without 586 instructions. there are a few candidates: g200, riva128, rage pro, rendition2100 and 1000. anyone tried these and will they work?

2. soundcard choice: i want it to support audio acceleration and hardware directsound, so it can reduce cpu consumption of mp3 playback. some candidates are: ymf724, aureal8820, fm801, ess1968/1978, crystal 4281/4624, ensoniq1370, creative pci audio. anyone tried these and will they work?

3. os choise: 95osr2 or nt4? nt4 has better performance and robustness, but with almost no chance for d3d games. 95osr2 has better compatibility for games, but dunno if its of any help for running games without 586 instructions, its stability makes surfing the web seem not even remotely possible either.

Reply 1 of 5, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not trying to be a jerk here but why subject a 486 to the rigors of opengl, audio acceleration, etc? Why not use a Pentium or greater?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 5, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the G200 will be least likely to have PCI and driver problems in an old machine and still have reasonable 3D
But I don't think the OGL support is the best

For games 95 or even 98 if you have a fast CPU
I don't care for NT4. It is stable .. but the little things like no device manager bother me

I ran simcity 3000 on my 486 😵

Reply 3 of 5, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:
I think the G200 will be least likely to have PCI and driver problems in an old machine and still have reasonable 3D But I don't […]
Show full quote

I think the G200 will be least likely to have PCI and driver problems in an old machine and still have reasonable 3D
But I don't think the OGL support is the best

For games 95 or even 98 if you have a fast CPU
I don't care for NT4. It is stable .. but the little things like no device manager bother me

I ran simcity 3000 on my 486 😵

what? sc3000 managed to run? i tried it on my mvp3/k6-3+/256mb rig and still feel it pretty slow.
back in 1998 i ran quake2 on amd5x86-150 though, i had no opengl card at that time and had to use software renderer, at 320*240 speed is usually between 10-15fps.

Reply 4 of 5, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Not trying to be a jerk here but why subject a 486 to the rigors of opengl, audio acceleration, etc? Why not use a Pentium or greater?

just want to see how fast a 486 can run. 🤣

Reply 5 of 5, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
noshutdown wrote:

what? sc3000 managed to run? i tried it on my mvp3/k6-3+/256mb rig and still feel it pretty slow.

Yeah it sure did. I didn't run very well but it did work.
The larger the city got, the slower it got. But I managed to build up to 2000 population so it was sorta playable
You need to delete or rename "updater.exe" because it wastes loads of CPU. It was unusuable until I removed that

I didn't like the hard disk usage though

Specs

AM486DX-120
64MB RAM
256K cache
Acer AP43 mobo
S3 ViRGE 4MB
Windows 2000 with DX7

Actually the very machine I am posting from right now.