VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The adapter arrived today, and it appears to work just fine. I was planning to use a newer ATX PS, but it has a 24-pin connector (not a 20+4), so the adapter's connector would not fit. I scavenged a 100W ATX PS (without a -5v rail) from a dead OEM box, and it posted a 486 DX2-50 / VLB board. I need to find an old AT keyboard connector adapter now to do any more testing, however.

You can turn on the power with a jumper loop or with a power switch, both included. The power seems to be a little tocuhy, though; if you jostle either one, it will kill the power. Not sure if this has to do with the adapter or with the crappy PS.

Reply 21 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote:

but it has a 24-pin connector (not a 20+4), so the adapter's connector would not fit.

That's odd, how does it not fit?

Can you clip parts off the connector to make it fit?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 24 of 26, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

This is one of the reason why I use cheap OEM desktops: when a PSU blows up I do not lose too much $ in exotic hardware. 😀

Just have to deal with awful unflexable BIOSes

Reply 25 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well it could take some nice ISA cards with you...

BIOS isn't an issue. I would say that is a plus, especially for retro gaming beginners. OEM machines are very stable and just work. No need to fiddle around with settings 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 26 of 26, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Exactly. To be honest: I play games up to the Pentium 1 era. This means tweaking was very limited: games work or do not. 😀 Very different from the later overclocking era.

And I no longer use expensive ISA cards: just MIF-IPC-A replicas. In case one of those blows up: limited loss. Much better than losing a LAPC-I / SCC-1 and so on. 😀