VOGONS

First post, by viktorcech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, i succesful find this MB, replace old and now is time for building, but i have some questions..

1. i have AM486DX4-120mhz cpu.. can i use it?
2. JMP7 - on manual is on 1&2 - PS/2 mouse support.. on MB is 2&3 (disabled).. must be switched?
3. JP11 - cyrix/intel selection? i have amd
4. JP23-J25 - cpu external clock speed (20-50mhz).. i have setuped 33mhz.. can i try 50mhz?

manual:
http://turiecfoto.sk/vl_i_486sv2g.pdf

Reply 2 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
viktorcech wrote:
Hello, i succesful find this MB, replace old and now is time for building, but i have some questions.. […]
Show full quote

Hello, i succesful find this MB, replace old and now is time for building, but i have some questions..

1. i have AM486DX4-120mhz cpu.. can i use it?
2. JMP7 - on manual is on 1&2 - PS/2 mouse support.. on MB is 2&3 (disabled).. must be switched?
3. JP11 - cyrix/intel selection? i have amd
4. JP23-J25 - cpu external clock speed (20-50mhz).. i have setuped 33mhz.. can i try 50mhz?

manual:
http://turiecfoto.sk/vl_i_486sv2g.pdf

1. Yes (writeback funcionality depends on revision of board)
2. To enable PS/2 support you need to set the JP7 to 1-2.
3. You use intel CPU trap settings for AMD cpu's
4. Yes, go ahead and try 50mhz if you'd like. Be aware that not all VLB boards will run with it. You also need to change the wait states for the VESA bus to above 33mhz.

The full manual scanned by our awesome member Artex is available here: download/file.php?id=14937
There are also much more info available on this board in this thread: Build 486's And They Will Come! Suggestions please!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 11, by viktorcech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, thanks.. i have another bigest problem.. i have only PCI graphics card.. (S3 virge dx)so i cant tested it 😒

Last edited by viktorcech on 2014-06-30, 14:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
viktorcech wrote:

ok, thanks.. i have another bigest problem.. i have only PCI graphics card..so i cant tested it 😒

Then I guess you need to look for that first. For testing purposes an ISA card will do the work, but for gaming you'll need a VLB card. The quickest VLB options are the S3 Vision series and ET4000/W32p cards. They bench equally, but the cards based on the S3 Vision chipsets are easier and cheaper to acquire.

Reply 5 of 11, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The most common reference for the AMD DX4-120 is for 40MHz, 3x multiplier - not sure if it would take kindly to overclocking to 150 (50x3).

Also, if you can find a VLB card, 40MHz is far more likely to be safe than 50MHz - you need some luck to get VLB to hold it together at 50MHz

Those P8/P9 are the old AT format power connector, WHY did they split them?
the black wires go to the middle, or else boom!
Never had a problem getting them on, it was getting the latch to fully release to take them off that was hard, while the top of the latch left an imprint in your thumb

Reply 8 of 11, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
viktorcech wrote:
thanks for reply.. power supply is installed.. but where i can find VLB card? can i use some other old card? […]
Show full quote

thanks for reply..
power supply is installed.. but where i can find VLB card?
can i use some other old card?

hmm.. maybe i try buy Asus PVI-486SP3 (good price, 10 euros)

Look on EBay and other trading sites for a VLB card.

The Asus PVI-486SP3 is also a very nice 486 PCI board.

Reply 10 of 11, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He's basically saying that you don't HAVE to use a VESA Local Bus-based video card. You could use an ISA-based video card but it will be much slower performance-wise than the faster bus speed supported with VLB. I however, don't have any experience with ISA video cards, so I don't have much to offer in that area.

If you're not using eBay, I imagine it's going to be somewhat difficult to track these down, as PCI cards were around for quite a bit longer before AGP and then PCIe took over. I would check local/regional classifieds, thrift shops, or other sources of these older 'vintage' parts.

Interesting read here posted by our very own Mau1wurf1977:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … ISA-VGA-roundup

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg