VOGONS

Reply 20 of 39, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the 1200 Celeron should be fine as-is; just drop the Ti 4200 in there and it should be set, unless (like swaaye pointed out) you need 1600x1200+ or something, in which case the FX 5900 or some similar card would be more appropriate. The MX 440 and FX 5200 will perform about the same in DX7 if memory serves, and the FX 5200 is kind of a dog when it comes to most games that require pixel shaders.

Reply 21 of 39, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you all. You helped me make my mind. I'm going to keep the celeron and add the ti4200. No more messing around with random hardware (for now) 😉
Amazing job on the wiki! Thank you.

Reply 22 of 39, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd recommend a geforce 1 or 2, so you can use the older detonator driver sets.
Later nvidia drivers have text issues with some games.
Its not a big issue but if you want 100% no problem DX7 only system, if that is your goal.

Reply 23 of 39, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, that is indeed my goal. A system only for DX7 games, well... and everything prior I guess. I also have the GTS model of the Geforce2, so what detonator drivers do you recommend my friend? 😀

Reply 24 of 39, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 6.50's, is the version I use the most on a Geforce1/2. Most stable in my experience, and has the SSAA modes that are missing from the newer drivers. If you don't use Riva Tuner that is 🤣.

Reply 25 of 39, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finished the download of Detonator 3, version 6.50! Thanks for your help. Will try the geforce2 setup.
Nice tip about this Riva Tuner. Now for some gaming!

Reply 26 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking good 😀

Intel chipsets are always the way to go.

Voodoo 2 cards scale very well with CPU power, but it all depends on the graphics settings.

You will see better scaling at 512 x 384 in older Glide games compared to 800 x 600 in Unreal.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 27 of 39, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure you have a heatsink on that voodoo II if your putting it in a system that can use it to its fullest... To fast a system can cause the main center processing unit to come unsoldered. Half the pins pulled back on it like a squashed spider.....
It was a 3dfx brand V2 1000 that did this, from being used in a AMD athlon 64 3700+ nforce3 heavily, it could run 98se 😲.
The faster the CPU the harder the v2 has to work.
I epoxied on heatsinks on the rest of my V2's after this little experience.

Reply 28 of 39, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The lead/tin solder on a Voodoo2 melts at over 180 degrees C. That seems unlikely in normal operation 🤣. Maybe something went wrong with the board that caused it to cook.

Reply 29 of 39, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could of simply been wear and tear from expansion\contracting from hot\cold cycles, which could of caused the solder points\joints coming unsoldered from the pcb.
Still there's no doubt it ran hotter on the A64 and was likely a factor in its demise.
I haven't had a V2 in a system above 700mhz since either 🤣.

Reply 30 of 39, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

In practice a K6-2 500 MHz is going to be around a P2-266 for 3D game performance.

😲 That's roughly double the performance. For another system I'm building would a 400MHz k6-2 have the performance of a P2 at 200MHz? What would a P2 at 200MHz be equivalent on Pentium MMX terms?

Reply 31 of 39, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is difficult to compare these things directly. Games that use certain features will run differently from games that do not use those features. It has already been suggested that DX7 games in particular will not run well on a K6-2; if you are running games that can take advantage of MMX features, then those will obviously run faster when those features are available.
http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,1478/

Reply 32 of 39, by armankordi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since everyone is talking about choosing a better CPU, I would get an Athlon Slot/Socket A
Something in the 600-1000MHz range sounds good. Also, go with a ATi/early NVIDIA card. Either an 7000VE
or a TNT2.
I recommend the 7000VE, worked well for what I do with it on my 533MHz K62

IBM PS/2 8573-121 386-20 DOS6.2/W3.1
IBM PS/2 8570-E61 386-16 W95
IBM PS/2 8580-071 386-16 (486DX-33 reply) OS/2 warp
486DX/2 - 66/32mb ram/256k cache/504mb hdd/cdrom/awe32/DOS6.2/WFW3.11
K6/2 - 350/128mb ram/512k cache/4.3gb hdd/cdr/sblive/w98

Reply 33 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

It is difficult to compare these things directly. Games that use certain features will run differently from games that do not use those features. It has already been suggested that DX7 games in particular will not run well on a K6-2; if you are running games that can take advantage of MMX features, then those will obviously run faster when those features are available.
http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,1478/

Well said!

Really looking at this from a game by game perspective seems to work well.

Glide games for example run very well on a fast K6-2+ or K6-III+ and can easily keep up with the PIII. For other games it doesn't look as good.

My YouTube channel

Reply 35 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I did a few tests last autumn, you guys can have a look:

PII/PIII VS K6-2/III+

Excellent work!

My YouTube channel

Reply 36 of 39, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

PII/PIII VS K6-2/III+

Damn, couln't stop reading the pdf till the end, very interesting results 😀
Must have Take you a while to complete all that, congrats 😎

Reply 37 of 39, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

PII/PIII VS K6-2/III+

The synthetic benchmarks make the K6-III+ look more competitive than it really is. That's why I don't pay much attention to them. The actual game based benchmarks are more accurate. For a gaming rig, it's how it performs in-game that matters because you're not going to sit around running benchmarks all day.

Reply 38 of 39, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also remember not to consider K6-2+/III+ 550 as similar to what a K6-2 550 would do. K6-2 550 is severely memory bottlenecked.

http://www.thg.ru/cpu/20000713/print.html

Reply 39 of 39, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed! K6-2+ is usually just as fast as K6-III+ though, except for the odd game that loves more cache. I think Quake 3 and MDK2 are like that.
From my tests, I have determined that a K6-III+ 550 is right between the Pentium II 350 and 400. I believe a K6-III+ 600 should be just as fast as a Pentium II 400. I'd love to hit 600MHz with that chip someday, it has proved to be a fantastic performer for what I want it to do 😀.

Of course, adding a GeForce card in there should probably pronounce an even bigger gap between the two architectures. Perhaps I should give it a try next Autumn 🤣 .