VOGONS

Reply 40 of 44, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to be clear, Voodoo 3 and later cards have problems playing the Build Engine 3DFX optimized titles like Blood and SW. Blood will play but crashes sooner than playing on a V1 or V2 with the memory leak issue. Typically you can get about 1 or 2 levels in then it will bomb with memory problems.

I have never been able to get Shadow Warrior 3DFX build to play on my V3s or my V5, ever. Not sure what the problem is but I tried all the batch files that optimize the 3DFX environment variables to help it but they never worked.

Reply 41 of 44, by trisoret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JaNoZ wrote:

I would get a V5 5500 PCI just to have it, but not for Pentium PRO MMX 300 it that even excists.?
Is it a overdrive cpu? or a old PPRO or a PMMX at 300?

I checked again and I was completely off on naming it a Pentium Pro in the first place! 😵

It's a 300MHz Celeron; please forgive my ignorance.

Reply 42 of 44, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
trisoret wrote:

I checked again and I was completely off on naming it a Pentium Pro in the first place! 😵

It's a 300MHz Celeron; please forgive my ignorance.

It's probably a P2 Celeron with MMX (and it may even have its own onboard cache), which would make it better than the Pentium Pro I'd think, at least for most games. 😀

Reply 43 of 44, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding universal AGP slots: The Wikipedia article on AGP says

Some cards incorrectly have dual notches, and some motherboards incorrectly have fully open slots, allowing a card to be plugged into a slot that does not support the correct signaling voltage, which may damage card or motherboard. Some incorrectly designed older 3.3 V cards have the 1.5 V key.

and the German version of the article has some more details:

Auf Mainboardseite gab es ebenfalls Modelle mit Intel 845 und 850- sowie nVidia NForce-Chipsatz, welche versehentlich einen AGP-Universalanschluss besaßen, obwohl sie AGP 1.0 nicht unterstützen. Auch hier bewirkte das so mögliche Einsetzen einer 3,3 V-Karte meist eine spannungsverursachte Beschädigung beider Komponenten. Die Verwendung dieser Universalanschlüsse könnte an den tatsächlich universalkompatiblen Vorgängermodellen der Mainboardchipsätze liegen. So unterstützte der Intel 815-Chipsatz AGP 1.0 und 2.0-Karten. Er erschien zwei Jahre vor dem i845, welcher die Unterstützung für Version 1.0 und damit allen 3,3 V-Karten kappte.

saying basically that the 815 chipset supported universal AGP slots and some manufacturers used the same connectors for the successor chipsets 845 and 850 which don't support AGP 1.0 / 3.3V.

Reply 44 of 44, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:

I'm guessing you can get an "adapter" for this just like you can get "adapters" that make HDMI into VGA or whatever other nonsense. Very few of these abominations ever work, and in a lot of cases can cause damage to one or both devices used in the attempt (the "funniest" one I've seen recently is a "FireWire to USB cable" - 🙄).

Wacky adapters and other rarities are by far one of my most favorite things in the PC industry.

Assuming you're NOT talking about one of those passive adapters which as you say would damage things... 😉

The Firewire-to-USB adapters I've heard of are only for DV, cannot be used for any other sort of Firewire device.
Examples:
- Pixela PIX-UVCD/U1W: http://www.pixela.co.jp/en/products/tv_captur … d_u1w/spec.html
- Pinnacle Studio Moviebox Ultimate

Another favorite, while not an adapter:
This one time at a PC convention, Micron demonstrated a motherboard chipset that permitted dual AGP ports: Micron SamuraiDDR. IIRC the board with that particular featureset was called Micron Madison. (will go back and check my notes later.)
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/article/20 … 131/pform04.htm
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/tpu … -3#post-1764896

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto