VOGONS

Reply 20 of 44, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
trisoret wrote:

As for the V5, I heard it doesn't work at all in a P4, that's why I'm aiming for a P3 machine at moment.

If it's a matter of AGP compatibility problem, you could always go for the V5 PCI and use it alongside an AGP card. Well, in theory at least... those cards are being hoarded like it's the end of the world *clears throat* 😜

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 21 of 44, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
trisoret wrote:

As for the V5, I heard it doesn't work at all in a P4, that's why I'm aiming for a P3 machine at moment.

Most Pentium 4 boards require 1.5V AGP support if they're going to be used with an AGP card, and Voodoo5s are 3.3V. You can go with a PCI card or find an AthlonXP board that will support 3.3V. According to Dodge Garage the Epox 8K3A+ will work, as should other boards with the VIA KT333 (looked up a few on ebay and they appear to have AGP Universal slots).

Reply 22 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So Pentium 4 systems don't support 3.3 V anymore?

What about late Pentium 3 Tualatin compatible systems?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 44, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

So Pentium 4 systems don't support 3.3 V anymore?

What about late Pentium 3 Tualatin compatible systems?

My understanding is Pentium 4 never officially supported 3.3V AGP - I remember reading some conspiracy theory about how Intel had colluded with unknown dark forces to end 3dfx by removing 3.3V support starting with the 845/850 chipsets, no idea if there's any merit to that though. I don't think I've ever seen a Pentium 3 keyed for 1.5V only.

Reply 24 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the manual doesn't mention anything:

ftp://ftp.aopen.com/pub/manual/mb/mx3st/mx3st-ol-e.pdf

The AGP slot has no keys at all.

Is there a performance difference between the AGP and PCI version of the Voodoo 3?

My YouTube channel

Reply 26 of 44, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Is there a performance difference between the AGP and PCI version of the Voodoo 3?

Here are some benchmarks which test how a Voodoo 3 PCI responds to overclocking the PCI bus. Doesn't seem to matter much.
With a Voodoo5 it will matter to some degree.

Reply 27 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like I should go for a PCI version so I can test in the a Pentium 4 as well. But looking at some test it appears that the Voodoo 3 2000 is exactly as fast as Voodoo 2 SLI.

My YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 44, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would get a V5 5500 PCI just to have it, but not for Pentium PRO MMX 300 it that even excists.?
Is it a overdrive cpu? or a old PPRO or a PMMX at 300?

Reply 29 of 44, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I assumed that "Pentium Pro MMX 300 Mhz" just means a Pentium II 300. I think some old tools output that description, and it's not actually that wrong.

Reply 30 of 44, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

V4 and v5 cards are very benefits from 66mhz bus speed. No matter pci or agp. On 33 MHz bus perfomance significantly degrades. There are exists 3.3 to 1.5 agp adapter. Or you can try to mod card to 1.5 on you risk

Reply 31 of 44, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is the compatibility list for Voodoo3, should be the same for Banshee and Voodoo 5. Yes, all the most popular games will work:

v3_3dfx.PNG

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 32 of 44, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

v3 pci vs v3 agp is about equal in performance, but v5 is a different story. And yes, v3 2000 is on par with v2 sli (with better image quality).

I tested my v5`s on my 1,4 tualatin and the agp version is 20% faster.... on a slower system ofcourse they become more and more equal and on a faster athlon xp system i expect the gap to become even bigger (will test that soon)

I think that you can use a v5 on a 800-1000mhz system perfectly fine if you use the AA option. If you don`t or have a slower system imho a v3 is a better option (and i a nice allround card for very lttle money)

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 33 of 44, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

Here is the compatibility list for Voodoo3, should be the same for Banshee and Voodoo 5. Yes, all the most popular games will work:

Really cool chart. I was trying to play Archimedean Dynasty a few months ago on my V3 and looked very weird. Initially, I thought this was how the game was supposed to look but now it all makes sense!

Reply 34 of 44, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:

That's a universal AGP slot - it should work with 3.3V or 1.5V cards (universal AGP slots are supposed to).

Yeah, they're SUPPOSED to, but would you take a chance with a Voodoo 5? I'd try booting it up with some crappy old 3.3v card first that won't be such a big loss if it burns up.

Reply 36 of 44, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Yeah, they're SUPPOSED to, but would you take a chance with a Voodoo 5? I'd try booting it up with some crappy old 3.3v card first that won't be such a big loss if it burns up.

I generally wouldn't be using hardware that I hadn't tested completely, and I absolutely agree with your reasoning - always better to verify stuff will work with "disposable" parts before jumping in headlong with rare/exotic hardware. I'd also probably test a new-to-me Voodoo5 in some crappy motherboard before putting it in a main system just to protect both sides. 😀

I will add that I've never had issues with my 815 board and its universal slot, so the function does work somewhere. 😊

Reply 37 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
anthony wrote:

There are exists 3.3 to 1.5 agp adapter.

Do you have more information about this?

My YouTube channel

Reply 38 of 44, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
anthony wrote:

I was wondering about that, too. Aren't the 3.3v and 1.5v slots keyed completely differently? Well, I mean you could take a file, and try to shave off a contact to force it to fit, but still...

Reply 39 of 44, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElectricMonk wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
anthony wrote:

I was wondering about that, too. Aren't the 3.3v and 1.5v slots keyed completely differently? Well, I mean you could take a file, and try to shave off a contact to force it to fit, but still...

Yes they're keyed differently, and they have different signaling voltages. See here for more in-depth: http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

I'm guessing you can get an "adapter" for this just like you can get "adapters" that make HDMI into VGA or whatever other nonsense. Very few of these abominations ever work, and in a lot of cases can cause damage to one or both devices used in the attempt (the "funniest" one I've seen recently is a "FireWire to USB cable" - 🙄).