VOGONS

Reply 4880 of 27388, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

A while ago I did a project using a notebook and USB MIDI adapter and turn it into a General MIDI and Roland MT-32 device.

Gdjacobs got this working on his Raspberry Pi. I finally bought myself one and played around with it. Today I managed to get General MIDI all working. It uses FluidSynth and a Roland USB MIDI interface. I will document the process first, likely do a video about it and then check out the Munt Roland MT-32 emulator.

I must this Raspberry Pi is a real nifty unit. It turns on faster than most PCs I come across these days 😊

I've been working on and playing around with a similar setup, but using serial interfaces between the Retro PC and MUNT host... it works surprisingly well in some configurations, but I've discovered not all interfaces are created equal. I think you might have mentioned this in the video that you're talking about where the cheap knock-off USB-MIDI interface didn't work as well as the name-brand Roland interface. When watching the video I initially thought "why would it be different; MIDI is MIDI right?", but no, it's different, and I've experienced the same thing with both knock-off USB-MIDI interfaces, and cheap USB-RS232 interface. It has to do with buffer sizes and event polling. Small buffers and/or not-frequent-enough event polling on the USB bus means missed notes, controller changes, sysex messages, and more. It can end up sounding pretty bad (I have recordings of many of the setups I've been trying and intend to post them as comparison).

Reply 4882 of 27388, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a TI 486DLC/E-33GA and mounted it on Contaq 386 / MS-3124. Couldn't figure out how to make it work, though. There are 4 jumpers associated with CPU type selection (386 or 486) according to the manual, and it won't boot at all in the 486 setting. It boots in the 386 setting, however, it will hang during POST unless the external cache is disabled in BIOS.
I played with the 4 jumpers and tried some other combinations other than the two documented ones. I didn't keep a record of all the settings I tried, but they are either no boot, or boot with disabled cache, or boot with unresponsive keyboard.

Reply 4883 of 27388, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What retro activity did you get up to today?

Well, yesterday I finally got Phantasy Star Universe to install and play on my laptop (Windows XP, 2005). I found a "patched" PSUOFF.EXE file on-line that bypasses the on-line check, allowing me to play the single-player story mode. So YAY - I can finally play a game I've owned for ~7 years and could never play (the servers had been shut down for a long time).

Speaking of my laptop, I updated CPU-Z today on that system and FINALLY got a validation. However, I had to do 2 validations. Here's why:

The Intel Pentium M 770 that is in my system apparently dynamically changes the CPU Multiplier from between x6 (800MHz) and x16 (2.13GHz). So my FIRST validation is here:

s73m7h.png

But I noticed the pathetically small CPU speed rating and got annoyed. Since my object was to post these into my signature here, I had to redo the validation while running YouTube on Google Chrome in the background in order to force the CPU up into its "working" state. Here's the 2nd validation:

0fvil8.png

And that one is now in my signature block. Now, the only one left is my first i7-860 system. I haven't validated THAT system because it is not running the original video card I had in it that I would want for the validation tag - the Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 480. Instead, it's running my mom's much older GeForce 8400GS card because she doesn't game and there's no reason to suck down an extra 120 watts (idle) or 230 watts (load). That, and it only has half the RAM it did for years (8GB DDR-1600 instead of the 16GB I had before). One of the RAM sticks had gone bad so I pulled that one and it's matched pair in order to keep the system running in dual-channel mode. Besides, 8GB is still overkill for a person who only checks Facebook, listens to iHeart Radio, and plays a few VERY small games (mahjongg and solitaire).

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 4884 of 27388, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I checked how bad my K6-III+ sucks at memory performance - I can't get the stupid DFI board stable with 100Mhz bus speed 🙁

memoryzckyr.jpg

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 4885 of 27388, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schlang wrote:
Today I checked how bad my K6-III+ sucks at memory performance - I can't get the stupid DFI board stable with 100Mhz bus speed : […]
Show full quote

Today I checked how bad my K6-III+ sucks at memory performance - I can't get the stupid DFI board stable with 100Mhz bus speed 🙁

memoryzckyr.jpg

Chipset?

Reply 4886 of 27388, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VIA®MVP3

Reply 4887 of 27388, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You might have done it, but did you install the chipset drivers ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4888 of 27388, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes I installed the 4in1 drivers

Reply 4889 of 27388, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

You might have done it, but did you install the chipset drivers ?

the MVP3 chipset doesn't need drivers to work correctly. Most likely the memory used or the cache chips on the motherboard are bad.

Reply 4890 of 27388, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been working on a homemade external MIDI synth on the cheap. Not finished yet, only powered on today.
If successfull, it is a module that can be produced for something in the range of 17 to 18 US Dollars.
Well... That's for the parts. I have even included a tone regulator board in this price.
And it should be capeable of playing MP3 files too.... (a feature that can be added if I like to)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4891 of 27388, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Though to myself, how do i connect a MT-32 to my Toshiba 400CDT?

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 4892 of 27388, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Working on voodoo filter threshold code. This look right?

Attachments

• anubis3.png
    Filename
    anubis3.png
    File size
    80.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • anubis2.png
    Filename
    anubis2.png
    File size
    80.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • anubis1.png
    Filename
    anubis1.png
    File size
    73.87 KiB
    Views
    File license

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4893 of 27388, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Contemplating building a retro rig for one of my closer friends as a surprise 😈

leileilol wrote:

I don't know what you're doing, but it's way above and beyond me 🤣!
The bottom one looks much sharper, is that really glide? 😲

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4894 of 27388, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should be able to do this on a real voodoo graphics* by having this environment var set before starting some glide game:

SET SST_VIDEO_FILTER_THRESHOLD = 0x000000

* - i don't have a real voodoo graphics

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4895 of 27388, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Looks awesomme... 😜

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4896 of 27388, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schlang wrote:

VIA®MVP3

Is your Write Cache Pipeline enabled or disabled in BIOS? Here's a thread I started on problems with that setting: BIOS Setting: "Write Cache Pipeline"

Reply 4897 of 27388, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Started sorting out my shareware and commercial program CDs, some of which date back to the mid-1990s. I had bought 40 double CD cases to store them in instead of the paper sleeves many were in, and had only two cases left when I was done 😲 In the process I discovered I had a full copy of Paint Shop Pro... 🤣

I double-checked the shareware CDs against those present on the Internet Archive software collection, and discovered most of them were not present there (not surprising, as most CDs I have are from local European publishers). I have at least 5-10 Gb of stuff I could upload there, just have to figure out how to image them - I'm not entirely at ease with using CDs made for 1-4 speed CD drives in modern drives.

Reply 4898 of 27388, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Currently cataloguing all those CDs in a little Excel sheet and labeling all of the boxes. I'm at 104 discs and counting (and noticing I'm missing stuff, so a trip to my parents attic will be needed).

Reply 4899 of 27388, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Started sorting out my shareware and commercial program CDs, some of which date back to the mid-1990s. I had bought 40 double CD cases to store them in instead of the paper sleeves many were in, and had only two cases left when I was done 😲 In the process I discovered I had a full copy of Paint Shop Pro... 🤣

I double-checked the shareware CDs against those present on the Internet Archive software collection, and discovered most of them were not present there (not surprising, as most CDs I have are from local European publishers). I have at least 5-10 Gb of stuff I could upload there, just have to figure out how to image them - I'm not entirely at ease with using CDs made for 1-4 speed CD drives in modern drives.

Bit of a stretch, but do any of them have games made using a software called klik and play? Am currently compiling games made with it into an archive.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA