VOGONS

Reply 4900 of 27512, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am tinkering with my K6 III+ @115x5.5
Got an ATI 8500 today 😁
But 3d mark 2000 crashes half way in :p
So I am looking at drivers and AGP Regedit settings.
So far no luck sigh, but still love K6 tinkering!

Reply 4901 of 27512, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Started sorting out my shareware and commercial program CDs, some of which date back to the mid-1990s. I had bought 40 double CD cases to store them in instead of the paper sleeves many were in, and had only two cases left when I was done 😲 In the process I discovered I had a full copy of Paint Shop Pro... 🤣

I double-checked the shareware CDs against those present on the Internet Archive software collection, and discovered most of them were not present there (not surprising, as most CDs I have are from local European publishers). I have at least 5-10 Gb of stuff I could upload there, just have to figure out how to image them - I'm not entirely at ease with using CDs made for 1-4 speed CD drives in modern drives.

Bit of a stretch, but do any of them have games made using a software called klik and play? Am currently compiling games made with it into an archive.

No idea. Some of the CDs are from the right time period, but I don't remember precisely what is on them. Some do contain old SDK's, though (I vaguely remember one that allowed you to construct a Doom-like labyrinth...).

Reply 4902 of 27512, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I **want** to install Win98 on a laptop without CDROM... been searching for my PCMCIA CDROM for a couple of hours now, no idea where it is. 🙁

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4903 of 27512, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:

I **want** to install Win98 on a laptop without CDROM... been searching for my PCMCIA CDROM for a couple of hours now, no idea where it is. 🙁

Install 98 with the floppy version ? 🤣

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4904 of 27512, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Install 98 with the floppy version ? 🤣

I don't have it. I do however have the complete set of floppies for installing Win95 (OSR1).

That's moot though, I found the CDROM. And guess where it was. In the last place where I thought of looking. The place where I kept it for years. 😁
Man, getting old sucks.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4905 of 27512, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

new #1 in psycho pinball:
snag-0005t1bjn.jpg

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 4906 of 27512, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
cj_reha wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Started sorting out my shareware and commercial program CDs, some of which date back to the mid-1990s. I had bought 40 double CD cases to store them in instead of the paper sleeves many were in, and had only two cases left when I was done 😲 In the process I discovered I had a full copy of Paint Shop Pro... 🤣

I double-checked the shareware CDs against those present on the Internet Archive software collection, and discovered most of them were not present there (not surprising, as most CDs I have are from local European publishers). I have at least 5-10 Gb of stuff I could upload there, just have to figure out how to image them - I'm not entirely at ease with using CDs made for 1-4 speed CD drives in modern drives.

Bit of a stretch, but do any of them have games made using a software called klik and play? Am currently compiling games made with it into an archive.

No idea. Some of the CDs are from the right time period, but I don't remember precisely what is on them. Some do contain old SDK's, though (I vaguely remember one that allowed you to construct a Doom-like labyrinth...).

Once (if) you get to them, the games made with Klik & Play should, when closed, bring up some sort of infobox saying they were made with Klik & Play and give some info on how they could legally not be distributed as shareware without the purchase of a distribution license. Here's an example from my archive.

Attachments

• IMG_5804.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5804.JPG
    File size
    1.13 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 4907 of 27512, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did a quick and dirty install of Windows XP SP3 on ASUS K8N-VM with Sempron 2800+ to test MSI 7950GT that I recently purchased boxed on eBay. Well, the PC (motherboard,...) was also a recent purchase - local. Everything is working fine 😀

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4908 of 27512, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Once (if) you get to them, the games made with Klik & Play should, when closed, bring up some sort of infobox saying they were made with Klik & Play and give some info on how they could legally not be distributed as shareware without the purchase of a distribution license. Here's an example from my archive.

The problem is that the CDs that may contain such software literally contain hundreds of shareware programs - I plan to make ISO images of them and upload those to the Internet Archive, but I'm not going to check every program individually, especially because I currently don't have a system to run pre-Windows 95 stuff natively.

Edit: Completed my Excel sheet of programs for now, also included floppies, found some interesting stuff (drivers), but am clearly missing some software I know I should have. The tally stands at over 200 disks 🤣 Anyone knows good software to image floppy disks?

Reply 4909 of 27512, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
cj_reha wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

The problem is that the CDs that may contain such software literally contain hundreds of shareware programs - I plan to make ISO images of them and upload those to the Internet Archive, but I'm not going to check every program individually, especially because I currently don't have a system to run pre-Windows 95 stuff natively.

Edit: Completed my Excel sheet of programs for now, also included floppies, found some interesting stuff (drivers), but am clearly missing some software I know I should have. The tally stands at over 200 disks 🤣 Anyone knows good software to image floppy disks?

WinImage is usually what everyone uses, it's also what the thousands of games on Beta-Archives FTP Server uses for imaging all their floppy based games.

Reply 4910 of 27512, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
cj_reha wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Oh lord, I've gone through one CD with over 800 in it 😵

But yeah if you iso them sometime they would be super helpful 😎

I also second WinImage.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 4911 of 27512, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Managed to finish the Win98 install on a Thinkpad 755CX through a PCMCIA SCSI CD-ROM... I had forgotten how much frustration the process can generate, because the last time I used this configuration was many years ago.

1. First I had to get the CD-ROM working in DOS. IBM/Lenovo have wiped all trace of support for this laptop from their sites, so I had to track down 3rd party mirrors, and the only one I found is extremely disorganized... It has apparently all the files from the old IBM support site, but... they're all dumped in one huge directory. Good luck finding the exact one you want. http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/ftp/mirr … pccbbs/mobiles/

2. Once I found the correct DOS driver for PCMCIA (which BTW is http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/ftp/mirr … es/pctpx130.exe on that site) I had to track down the ASPI and CD-ROM drivers - I couldn't find the archive that I had placed somewhere years ago when I last used it. Once found, I had to try all 3 ASPI managers it contains with different parameters until I found a combination that works.

3. Success! Or is it... Well I was now able to start the Win98 setup from CD. And the setup wisely asks if I am using a PCMCIA CD-ROM to do the install, and if so will I please supply the 32-bit drivers to it on a floppy. Which I duly do, and it copies them off it. But then after it reboots for the first time, the CD support is gone, and I can't install much of the hardware in the hardware detection phase because of no CD access. Because of course, the CD drivers are installed last after all the other hardware is detected, even though Win98 knows that I need to access it for the install. Grr. So I have to manually install all of the drivers one by one later.

4. Many hours later it's done. Hope I don't have to do it again soon.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4912 of 27512, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have any older / slower video cards? The K6 can't make proper use of a 8500 (frankly even a PIII can't top out a 8500). A radeon 7500 or geforce 2 gts / pro would be a better match for the CPU an\d you souldn't experience driver issues.

But the thing is I'm 90% sure the crash is related to the 112mhz fsb you use. The chipset and on-motherboard cache are not suited for operating at that frequency (especially the cache) witch I believe is causing the instability. Try disabling External Cache from BIOS and see if that fixes the issue. You won't loose any performance, as the K6-III has it's own on-die L2 cache (runs at CPU speed, in your case 112x5.5) witch is A LOT faster then the one on the board (100MHz MAX)

Reply 4913 of 27512, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally managed to take some time to do some piccing (taking pics 🤣) of some old games I bought recently.

stamasd wrote:
Managed to finish the Win98 install on a Thinkpad 755CX through a PCMCIA SCSI CD-ROM... I had forgotten how much frustration the […]
Show full quote

Managed to finish the Win98 install on a Thinkpad 755CX through a PCMCIA SCSI CD-ROM... I had forgotten how much frustration the process can generate, because the last time I used this configuration was many years ago.

1. First I had to get the CD-ROM working in DOS. IBM/Lenovo have wiped all trace of support for this laptop from their sites, so I had to track down 3rd party mirrors, and the only one I found is extremely disorganized... It has apparently all the files from the old IBM support site, but... they're all dumped in one huge directory. Good luck finding the exact one you want. http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/ftp/mirr … pccbbs/mobiles/

2. Once I found the correct DOS driver for PCMCIA (which BTW is http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/ftp/mirr … es/pctpx130.exe on that site) I had to track down the ASPI and CD-ROM drivers - I couldn't find the archive that I had placed somewhere years ago when I last used it. Once found, I had to try all 3 ASPI managers it contains with different parameters until I found a combination that works.

3. Success! Or is it... Well I was now able to start the Win98 setup from CD. And the setup wisely asks if I am using a PCMCIA CD-ROM to do the install, and if so will I please supply the 32-bit drivers to it on a floppy. Which I duly do, and it copies them off it. But then after it reboots for the first time, the CD support is gone, and I can't install much of the hardware in the hardware detection phase because of no CD access. Because of course, the CD drivers are installed last after all the other hardware is detected, even though Win98 knows that I need to access it for the install. Grr. So I have to manually install all of the drivers one by one later.

Wasn't it possible to remove the harddrive from its current system, slave it to another rig and manually format and copy over the entire 98SE install disk so you could install from there?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4914 of 27512, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Finally managed to take some time to do some piccing (taking pics 🤣) of some old games I bought recently.

stamasd wrote:
Managed to finish the Win98 install on a Thinkpad 755CX through a PCMCIA SCSI CD-ROM... I had forgotten how much frustration the […]
Show full quote

Wasn't it possible to remove the harddrive from its current system, slave it to another rig and manually format and copy over the entire 98SE install disk so you could install from there?

Yes, it was. But I wanted the full experience of installing "the hard way". Maybe next time I'll think better about what I want. 😀

FWIW, I'm attaching an image of the boot disk that I made since it took me so long to compile, and it may prove useful to others. It's a MS-DOS 6.22 boot disk with PCMCIA drivers for the Thinkpad 7xx series, as well as ASPI manager and CD-ROM drivers for Panasonic KXL-D745 PCMCIA SCSI CD-ROM drive. It boots cleanly on my Thinkpad 755CX, either docked (in Dock II) or undocked, and allows accessing the CD-ROM from DOS.

Attachments

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4915 of 27512, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hexedited Norton Utilities ncache2.exe to work under dos 7.10, got sick if it telling me it wont run under windows dos, since I run 7.10 stand alone without windows I dont care about its error message. Now it works 😜 🤣. Simple 1 byte change.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 4916 of 27512, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried to install MS-DOS 6.22 but it seems I'm going to have to check around on ebay for a working floppy drive after hours of flipping in and out the drives I had in storage 😒

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 4917 of 27512, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Tried to install MS-DOS 6.22 but it seems I'm going to have to check around on ebay for a working floppy drive after hours of flipping in and out the drives I had in storage 😒

Boot first disk. When it tells you "Starting MS Dos" then press F5.
Load fdisk and partition the drive, reboot and press F5 again.

Type in: "format c: /u/s" to format the HDD and to put basic DOS on it.
Reboot again, with the first floppy, and start installing Dos.
It asks you if you want to replace current Dos version, select yes to that.

Last edited by brostenen on 2016-12-23, 01:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4918 of 27512, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have upgraded a hadrdrive on my XP based Mame machine, from 40 to 80gb
Used CloneZilla to clone the drive, and used G-Parted Live to resize the partition to 80gb.
CloneZilla is awesomme. Linux rules for these kind of tasks.

Then I made the cherrysauce for x-mass dinner. Earlier this year, I plucked cherries and froze them.
Cooked them, without them boiling (don't want them to crack), and added some
cane sugar. Smells and taste so good. Now they need to rest for 24 to 48 hours in the fridge.
When going to be used, I will make it thick using corn starge then add some vanilla and rum.

I have had that every X-mas in 35+ years. So it is pretty retro for me.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4919 of 27512, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
Then I made the cherrysauce for x-mass dinner. Earlier this year, I plucked cherries and froze them. Cooked them, without them b […]
Show full quote

Then I made the cherrysauce for x-mass dinner. Earlier this year, I plucked cherries and froze them.
Cooked them, without them boiling (don't want them to crack), and added some
cane sugar. Smells and taste so good. Now they need to rest for 24 to 48 hours in the fridge.
When going to be used, I will make it thick using corn starge then add some vanilla and rum.

I have had that every X-mas in 35+ years. So it is pretty retro for me.

Hmm. Are you removing the pits from the cherries or do you boil them whole?
Also, a pro tip. Instead of corn starch use arrowroot starch. It will taste much better.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowroot

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O