VOGONS

Reply 26580 of 27457, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The brown fan headers, that BIOS sticker and the RAM holders point to ABIT VA6.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/abit-ab-va6

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 26581 of 27457, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2024-01-29, 18:44:

- Tested 2 IDE to CF adapters on my 486. One of the adapters (Delock, bought locally) works fine and is detected by the BIOS. The other adapter (cheap Aliexpress) works on a more modern computer but the 486 doesn’t auto-detect the disk (with the same CF card)

Try that on non working CF adapter:
posting.php?mode=quote&f=46&p=1230150
Re: "Fixed" 386sx motherboard works but not with 16-bit VGA card
Its not defective, just fully ATA compliant. 486 was pre ATA standard and using that on ISA bus screws up a lot of things fron not working drive to screen corruption.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 26582 of 27457, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently started running local ads where I offer to come pick up people's "80's and 90's" era computers or parts, for free, no matter the condition to keep them from going to the landfill.

I attempt to clean/repair what I can, strip suspected good components off what I can't fix to use as spare parts, and properly recycle the leftovers.

Got a cool offer today...

I have a variety of old Mac/Apples and IBM/CLONES ... and a great many 3.5 Disks and OS's I am willing to put your way.

I just have to wait for the guy to gather it all up as they seem to be scattered around his parents home. Will be interesting to see if it pans out.

Wish me luck! 😀

Retro Blog: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/
Archive: https://archive.org/details/@theclassicgeek/
3D Things: https://www.thingiverse.com/classicgeek/collections

Reply 26584 of 27457, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PS/2 is now on OS/2 2.11. It's somewhat more manageable now, and even has working sound after installing the Multimedia addon, but I'm finding myself a bit disappointed that I no longer have a pure DOS environment that I could potentially use for games. Part of me wants to redo everything with two partitions to allow for gaming, while another part of me thinks that it's all a bit too troublesome for something that will require $130+ for an actually useful sound card that can properly play some games.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 26585 of 27457, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BetaC wrote on 2024-01-30, 06:15:

The PS/2 is now on OS/2 2.11. It's somewhat more manageable now, and even has working sound after installing the Multimedia addon, but I'm finding myself a bit disappointed that I no longer have a pure DOS environment that I could potentially use for games. Part of me wants to redo everything with two partitions to allow for gaming, while another part of me thinks that it's all a bit too troublesome for something that will require $130+ for an actually useful sound card that can properly play some games.

Why not do a DOS/OS2 dual boot with Warp 3?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26586 of 27457, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After years i'm redoing the electrical work and cooling system in my 9800 XXL pc, i took the occasion to add a hole for a frontal intake fan and also to make the system look cooler i went for an ATI color look but instead of white and red i went for red and gray.

Attachments

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 26587 of 27457, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-01-30, 00:01:
Try that on non working CF adapter: posting.php?mode=quote&f=46&p=1230150 Re: "Fixed" 386sx motherboard works but not with 16-bi […]
Show full quote
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2024-01-29, 18:44:

- Tested 2 IDE to CF adapters on my 486. One of the adapters (Delock, bought locally) works fine and is detected by the BIOS. The other adapter (cheap Aliexpress) works on a more modern computer but the 486 doesn’t auto-detect the disk (with the same CF card)

Try that on non working CF adapter:
posting.php?mode=quote&f=46&p=1230150
Re: "Fixed" 386sx motherboard works but not with 16-bit VGA card
Its not defective, just fully ATA compliant. 486 was pre ATA standard and using that on ISA bus screws up a lot of things fron not working drive to screen corruption.

Thanks for the info, I read trough a couple of forum posts and it's more clear now! On my particular system i ended up using an IDE to SATA converter in the end, more in-depth tests will be for another time.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 26588 of 27457, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I spent literally 6h "wasting" my time installing Windows on my Nexgen Nx586 system. I was at a point where I could start the Windows 95 or 98SE setup and it would then freeze at the very beginning of the installation process. I tried about everything possible...changing HDDs (native IDE, SATA with adapter, SATA SSD with adapter, CF...), every possible BIOS option that could vaguely be related to an issue like this etc etc...

It turns our that the whole time, the problem was the Matrox Mystique I used...just 10 minutes ago I switched to an ATI 3D Rage Pro (seen a hint on that on a vogons post) and if fu***ng WORKS now. Windows 98SE is being installed.

Sometimes I really hate old hardware quirks.

And now I really need a Nx586 with FPU...

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 26589 of 27457, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2024-01-30, 08:06:
BetaC wrote on 2024-01-30, 06:15:

Why not do a DOS/OS2 dual boot with Warp 3?

I've chosen to go with a 3 partition setup with W95/DOS 6.22+Win3.1/OS2 2.11. Given how specific the machine is, I wanted to go with something close to what it would have shipped with, for once.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 26590 of 27457, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
StriderTR wrote on 2024-01-30, 03:48:
I recently started running local ads where I offer to come pick up people's "80's and 90's" era computers or parts, for free, no […]
Show full quote

I recently started running local ads where I offer to come pick up people's "80's and 90's" era computers or parts, for free, no matter the condition to keep them from going to the landfill.

I attempt to clean/repair what I can, strip suspected good components off what I can't fix to use as spare parts, and properly recycle the leftovers.

I have a variety of old Mac/Apples and IBM/CLONES ... and a great many 3.5 Disks and OS's I am willing to put your way.

I just have to wait for the guy to gather it all up as they seem to be scattered around his parents home. Will be interesting to see if it pans out.

Wish me luck! 😀

That's a genius move, well thought!

And good luck on the haul 😁

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 26591 of 27457, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got myself recently yet another motherboard. I deliberately went for one with leaking battery corrosion. Wanted to experience cleanup process. Also this one is from quality maker QDI and it supports 3v CPUs even with "undocumented" 3x and 4x multipliers. Cleanup went rather smoothly. White vinegar did the trick mostly however while it removed "Green Stuff" from contacts I can clearly see metal discoloration with last ISA slot . Not sure how reliable contact it will make. So now I probably need to replace this one along with broken casing one next to it.

All in all another MB rescued.
It does have rather old BIOS. Not going to fool around with UV light erasing approach. If I'm getting this correctly then I can use compatible empty eprom chip. I can flash it with my recently purchased T48 universal programmer. I just need to figure out replacement eprom specs. Another first for me...

Attachments

• CleanupJ.jpg
    Filename
    CleanupJ.jpg
    File size
    1021.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 26592 of 27457, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The IBM is done, for now at least.

IMG_2936.jpg
Filename
IMG_2936.jpg
File size
900.95 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It's successfully booting Windows 95, complete with sound coming through the ultimedia speaker on the front panel, OS/2 2.11, and even has a completely non-setup DOS 6.22 partition for when I eventually have a need for a very slow 486 and want to much around with trying to spend way too much on sound blaster compatibility. That and figuring out why the SCSI drivers from IBM don't like seeing the IBM CD Drive. Now back to my regularly scheduled farting around inside way too many upgraded macintoshes and my Clone.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 26595 of 27457, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BetaC wrote on 2024-01-31, 23:00:

The IBM is done, for now at least.
IMG_2936.jpg
It's successfully booting Windows 95, complete with sound coming through the ultimedia speaker on the front panel, OS/2 2.11, and even has a completely non-setup DOS 6.22 partition for when I eventually have a need for a very slow 486 and want to much around with trying to spend way too much on sound blaster compatibility. That and figuring out why the SCSI drivers from IBM don't like seeing the IBM CD Drive. Now back to my regularly scheduled farting around inside way too many upgraded macintoshes and my Clone.

That is a lovely looking machine! Well done. 😀

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 26596 of 27457, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I attempted a repair of a Voodoo 2 12mb card a few years back - missing capacitor and a bunch of broken legs on a TMU. Really happy with the solder work, but I thought I broke it during the repair because even though it would detect, the drivers and games would crash immediately. I stashed them as a souvenir and thought that maybe one day in the future I'd be a better repairman and fix.

I decided to finally pull it out of the box after seeing a few videos of repairs, using the mojo.exe voodoo diagnostic tool. I got the mojo tool running and it was reporting 2 TMUs, FBI, 4mb frame buffer, 8mb memory. For laughs I installed some drivers, rebooted, nothing was crashing. Loaded up the a game and the damn thing worked. Testing it in about 5 games, I couldnt see any fault. Hell yeah, my first Voodoo 2! Great success. Although a little funny that it's been fixed for 3 years and I didn't know until I tested it in a different machine... 🤣

I'm going to put it in my P2 400 / asus p2b / tnt 16mb rig for that authentic 1998 experience.

Reply 26597 of 27457, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2024-01-31, 23:13:

wait... DONE? that's a thing?

Yah, considering PS/2 machines complete with the MCA cards, drives, planar and CPU they arrived with is the path to sanity 🤣 🤣 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 26598 of 27457, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-01-31, 05:09:
StriderTR wrote on 2024-01-30, 03:48:
I recently started running local ads where I offer to come pick up people's "80's and 90's" era computers or parts, for free, no […]
Show full quote

Wish me luck! 😀

That's a genius move, well thought!

And good luck on the haul 😁

Thanks!

So far, I think they've managed to find an IBM 5150, 5170, with at least one monitor, and what looks like a couple iMacs and Power Macs from the late 1998-2000'ish.

Going to be fun taring into them and getting what I can up and running again. Will keep me busy for a while. 😀

Last edited by StriderTR on 2024-02-01, 18:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro Blog: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/
Archive: https://archive.org/details/@theclassicgeek/
3D Things: https://www.thingiverse.com/classicgeek/collections

Reply 26599 of 27457, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having 10k RPM fun with a Raptor and a Cheetah. Gosh, that sounds funny!

To be exact - I'm downloading off HD Sentinel to check up on how well do the 10Ks will fare speed wise.
One is an WD Raptor 74GB over a SATA2IDE adapter I originally bought for an Xbox (which ultimately fell through as the adapter was slow on the Xbox but fast on the dual Coppers).
The other is a SCSI 68pin Seagate Cheetah ST336607LW

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB