VOGONS

Reply 26600 of 27457, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am doing retro web development, reminding the struggling days with the browser wars (Netscape vs IE). Yes, I am a masochist.

But doing it now with all the knowledge I acquired in 25 years is absolutely much more easier now. I am developing a simple page with three column layout, header and footer (no tables) and it works awesomely well. So well that when I was testing on Windows 95 Internet Explorer, I thought it was IE 5.0 till I checked the version... the page still displays great even on IE 4.0 !

As for Netscape 4.x... forget it Netscape 4.x at that moment was snubbing CSS in favor of their own standard (JSSS). They later regretted it and went to the use the CSS standards from NN6 onwards.

Page displays great with old CSS style code even on RetroZilla and modern browsers. Next challenge is to make it responsive so it can work on smartphones as well.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 26601 of 27457, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Developing? You got the wrong idea, back then we just hammered it out in one shot in Notepad, added a line of hamsters and an "under construction" gif at the bottom and called it done. 🤣

PcBytes wrote on 2024-02-01, 14:15:

Having 10k RPM fun with a Raptor and a Cheetah. Gosh, that sounds funny!

Heh, sounds like a Saudi prince out for fun in the desert with his supercar and pets.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 26602 of 27457, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-01, 16:17:

Heh, sounds like a Saudi prince out for fun in the desert with his supercar and pets.

Y'know, after a horrible tooth ache going on today, that actually made me smile and laugh. Thanks. 😁

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 26603 of 27457, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vutt wrote on 2024-01-31, 21:09:

Got myself recently yet another motherboard. I deliberately went for one with leaking battery corrosion. Wanted to experience cleanup process. Also this one is from quality maker QDI and it supports 3v CPUs even with "undocumented" 3x and 4x multipliers. Cleanup went rather smoothly. White vinegar did the trick mostly however while it removed "Green Stuff" from contacts I can clearly see metal discoloration with last ISA slot . Not sure how reliable contact it will make. So now I probably need to replace this one along with broken casing one next to it.

All in all another MB rescued.
It does have rather old BIOS. Not going to fool around with UV light erasing approach. If I'm getting this correctly then I can use compatible empty eprom chip. I can flash it with my recently purchased T48 universal programmer. I just need to figure out replacement eprom specs. Another first for me...

Congrats! I was watching this board, but did not participate on the auction, as i already have exactly that board.
It takes 27C512 EEPROMs and can theoretically take a larger chip with 128kB space, too. (Never tried)
In retroweb, there's my latest found Award bios for SIS471 chipset, which i also adjusted to fix L2 cache write-back functionality. The extra jumper settings in retroweb are also from me.

It's a great board, that can have 1MB of L2 cache and supports all 486 CPUs. It is my favorite board.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 26604 of 27457, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-01, 16:17:

Developing? You got the wrong idea, back then we just hammered it out in one shot in Notepad, added a line of hamsters and an "under construction" gif at the bottom and called it done. 🤣

HAHAHAHA! Good one

Don't forget the banners for each browser and resolution "best viewed with" and... well everything 😜

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 26605 of 27457, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i did a little case repair on my dell xps b100r front bezel.
the middle and lower tabs on the right side were both broken when i first acquired.
to repair, i broke the rest of the tabs completely off.
filled with 2 part expoxy.
hit it with the dremel.
drilled, tapped and inserted helicoil insert.
it did the trick and i can still remove the bezel it if needed.

PXL_20240201_025039275.jpg
Filename
PXL_20240201_025039275.jpg
File size
779.3 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
PXL_20240201_031034089.jpg
Filename
PXL_20240201_031034089.jpg
File size
519.17 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
PXL_20240201_032151593.jpg
Filename
PXL_20240201_032151593.jpg
File size
1.16 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
PXL_20240202_022718584.jpg
Filename
PXL_20240202_022718584.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
dell.xps.b1000r.special.edition.jpg
Filename
dell.xps.b1000r.special.edition.jpg
File size
845.58 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 26606 of 27457, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vutt wrote on 2024-01-31, 21:09:

Got myself recently yet another motherboard. I deliberately went for one with leaking battery corrosion. Wanted to experience cleanup process. Also this one is from quality maker QDI and it supports 3v CPUs even with "undocumented" 3x and 4x multipliers. Cleanup went rather smoothly. White vinegar did the trick mostly however while it removed "Green Stuff" from contacts I can clearly see metal discoloration with last ISA slot . Not sure how reliable contact it will make. So now I probably need to replace this one along with broken casing one next to it.

All in all another MB rescued.
It does have rather old BIOS. Not going to fool around with UV light erasing approach. If I'm getting this correctly then I can use compatible empty eprom chip. I can flash it with my recently purchased T48 universal programmer. I just need to figure out replacement eprom specs. Another first for me...

Those look like done beefy traces. Depending on how bad the corrosion is, it doesn't look like to difficult if a repair. Find yourself a replacement ISA connector too, since you're already doing a refurbishment.

Reply 26607 of 27457, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2024-02-01, 14:53:
I am doing retro web development, reminding the struggling days with the browser wars (Netscape vs IE). Yes, I am a masochist. […]
Show full quote

I am doing retro web development, reminding the struggling days with the browser wars (Netscape vs IE). Yes, I am a masochist.

But doing it now with all the knowledge I acquired in 25 years is absolutely much more easier now. I am developing a simple page with three column layout, header and footer (no tables) and it works awesomely well. So well that when I was testing on Windows 95 Internet Explorer, I thought it was IE 5.0 till I checked the version... the page still displays great even on IE 4.0 !

As for Netscape 4.x... forget it Netscape 4.x at that moment was snubbing CSS in favor of their own standard (JSSS). They later regretted it and went to the use the CSS standards from NN6 onwards.

Page displays great with old CSS style code even on RetroZilla and modern browsers. Next challenge is to make it responsive so it can work on smartphones as well.

Please make a thread about this. It sounds like a lot of fun!

Reply 26608 of 27457, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wirerogue wrote on 2024-02-02, 03:17:

i did a little case repair on my dell xps b100r front bezel.

This is great work! Those are handsome cases, worth saving.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 26609 of 27457, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I spent some time trying to troubleshoot an Octek Jaguar IV-P 386 motherboard. It won't POST without giving any POST codes. I found one ceramic cap in the RAM area that was cracked and probably readying itself for a glorious fireworks display in the process, so I replaced that with an electrolytic. That didn't solve the issue. I couldn't find any broken traces after repairing the battery damage, but closer inspection showed me that some vias in the battery areas were dead. Now I know at least where some of the faults lie, I will ammend that this weekend.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26610 of 27457, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Troubleshooting this Asus K7M. It powers on, but the debug post card says 0000 and sometimes D3D4. I noticed the contacts in the slot don't move freely, they don't bounce back.

What would be the best way to clean this, start with compressed air? Then what, contact cleaner?

Attachments

• DSC_8060.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_8060.JPG
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 26611 of 27457, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PD2JK wrote on 2024-02-02, 10:13:

Troubleshooting this Asus K7M. It powers on, but the debug post card says 0000 and sometimes D3D4. I noticed the contacts in the slot don't move freely, they don't bounce back.

What would be the best way to clean this, start with compressed air? Then what, contact cleaner?

I would indeed say compressed air, then some contact cleaner/lubricant spray and push them gently in place with a small tip.
Before fixing the AGP slot, does it boot with a PCI card?

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 26612 of 27457, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2024-02-02, 10:52:

I would indeed say compressed air, then some contact cleaner/lubricant spray and push them gently in place with a small tip.

I get the confusion, it looks like an AGP slot. Insteads this is a Slot A mainboard. Anyhow, I'm gonna try... Thanks!

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 26613 of 27457, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PD2JK wrote on 2024-02-02, 11:30:
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2024-02-02, 10:52:

I get the confusion, it looks like an AGP slot. Insteads this is a Slot A mainboard. Anyhow, I'm gonna try... Thanks!

Ah indeed, sorry. Well I would still try the same!
Maybe after applying the contact cleaner, tap it gently on both sides to see if the contacts move. Without breaking the solder joints 😀

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 26614 of 27457, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-02-02, 03:39:
Bruninho wrote on 2024-02-01, 14:53:
I am doing retro web development, reminding the struggling days with the browser wars (Netscape vs IE). Yes, I am a masochist. […]
Show full quote

Please make a thread about this. It sounds like a lot of fun!

I have a thread about my retro virtual machines and its related, so I need to update it later! Thanks for reminding me

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 26615 of 27457, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been doing a bunch of playing around with this DFI G7S620-N motherboard + Pentium 4 combo.

I think it's rapidly becoming my new favorite thing as I explore how throttleable it is. The possibility of having a system that can legitimately cover late 80s to mid-2000s gaming on bare metal hardware is so tempting...

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 26616 of 27457, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stress testing my recently cleaned QDI V4S471/G MB

Attachments

• Chillin.jpg
    Filename
    Chillin.jpg
    File size
    806.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 26617 of 27457, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some light internet browsing using an Internet Appliance, or rather the system itself (BeIA) on another thin client after some editing.
Couldn't log into vogons sadly.

beia-starting.jpg
Filename
beia-starting.jpg
File size
8.38 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
beia-main.jpg
Filename
beia-main.jpg
File size
53.37 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
beia-credits.jpg
Filename
beia-credits.jpg
File size
53.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
beia-oldbeweb.jpg
Filename
beia-oldbeweb.jpg
File size
68.34 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
beia-vogons.jpg
Filename
beia-vogons.jpg
File size
70.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 26618 of 27457, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Setting up my SiS 630 based Tuallie for a Windows ME install.

Surprised their N340S8 platform supports Tualatin - I don't think I found anywhere that the 340S8 supports Tuallies, but as usual, I could be wrong.

EDIT:Nevermind, ECS clearly lists it as using the 630ST variant of the chipset, which is Tualatin capable.

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 26619 of 27457, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cleaned up the Olivetti a little, also replaced the soldered in CR2032 with a battery holder, though not in the most elegant way. Also downgraded form 80MB RAM to 32MB which is more appropriate for a 100MHz Pentium. Also chose to replace the SB16 with a Vibra16S.

IMG_20240203_115126.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240203_115126.jpg
File size
1.38 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It ended up being a bit more problematic than expected. Everything I tried so far works. Except the floppy drive.
It's set up right in the BIOS, but Windows detects it as a 5.25"as well as in the device manager it seems it doesn't have drivers for it. No good if I reboot into DOS either.
Also whatever boot order I set, it just refuses to boot from anywhere other than the hard drive. Doesn't even attempt to boot from the floppy drive or the CD.

There was a Windows installer on the hard drive, so I reinstalled the OS. The sound card no longer hisses, but didn't fix the floppy issue. Though it wasn't a clean install, I just installed over the existing W95.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png