VOGONS

Reply 26620 of 27504, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think I've seen that before years ago, but it was only a cabling glitch or something like that. Not anything super weird that sticks loud in the memory anyway.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 26621 of 27504, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trying out a Hercules graphics adapter with this Pentium 4 setup. While I couldn't get it to work in Hercules mode, the BIOS does detect it as a CGA adapter and works in that mode.

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 26622 of 27504, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-02-03, 16:51:

Trying out a Hercules graphics adapter with this Pentium 4 setup. While I couldn't get it to work in Hercules mode, the BIOS does detect it as a CGA adapter and works in that mode.

That is a first! Never seen anyone try that combo before. Interesting that it works.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 26623 of 27504, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What adapter and monitor are you using? I like to have diverse experiences with retro gaming and would like to play around with different graphics modes. However, it's hard to find affordable solutions for anything pre-svga. I'm curious if I could do something similar with a Pentium and svga monitor. Also, I assume that your adapter can't do CGA composite?

Reply 26624 of 27504, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2024-02-03, 18:17:

That is a first! Never seen anyone try that combo before. Interesting that it works.

I'm very impressed with this motherboard. The BIOS even includes basic graphics settings like EGA/VGA, CGA80, CGA40 and monochrome. I'm used to setting those on 286 systems, not so much on a P4. 😆

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 26625 of 27504, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-02-03, 18:40:

What adapter and monitor are you using? I like to have diverse experiences with retro gaming and would like to play around with different graphics modes. However, it's hard to find affordable solutions for anything pre-svga. I'm curious if I could do something similar with a Pentium and svga monitor. Also, I assume that your adapter can't do CGA composite?

The video card is some non-branded Hercules-compatible adapter. I've tried looking it to find out who makes it but haven't found a picture of the exact card I have. And no, being a Hercules adapter it doesn't have composite. But it does have a parallel port.

I do have a couple other CGA cards (including one with a composite output). They also work, although the composite output looked awful. Text was a wash of psychedelics colors and basically unreadable.

The monitor is a Packard Bell PB1431EG. It's an EGA monitor. I should note it doesn't support Hercules graphics modes as I discovered. I think I'll need to get a proper monochrome monitor if I want to ever use this Hercules card.

Hercules/CGA/EGA adapters and monitors use 9-pin cable connectors compared to VGA's 15-pin. I presume you'd need some sort of convertor/adapter if you wanted to try to mix 'n match an older video card with a 15-pin VGA monitor. I've never personally tried, so I have no idea how that would work.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 26626 of 27504, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-02-03, 22:06:
The video card is some non-branded Hercules-compatible adapter. I've tried looking it to find out who makes it but haven't found […]
Show full quote
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-02-03, 18:40:

The video card is some non-branded Hercules-compatible adapter. I've tried looking it to find out who makes it but haven't found a picture of the exact card I have. And no, being a Hercules adapter it doesn't have composite. But it does have a parallel port.

I do have a couple other CGA cards (including one with a composite output). They also work, although the composite output looked awful. Text was a wash of psychedelics colors and basically unreadable.

The monitor is a Packard Bell PB1431EG. It's an EGA monitor. I should note it doesn't support Hercules graphics modes as I discovered. I think I'll need to get a proper monochrome monitor if I want to ever use this Hercules card.

Hercules/CGA/EGA adapters and monitors use 9-pin cable connectors compared to VGA's 15-pin. I presume you'd need some sort of convertor/adapter if you wanted to try to mix 'n match an older video card with a 15-pin VGA monitor. I've never personally tried, so I have no idea how that would work.

I'm jealous! I'd love to have an EGA monitor, but those are pretty hard to find, especially in my price range. Take care of it!

Reply 26627 of 27504, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Going through my DOS "collection" in ScummVM, getting everything configured correctly.

Found myself stuck in Crusader No Remorse, one of my favorite games (and No Regret) from the 90's.

I forgot how much fun it is to play. 😀

Attachments

Retro Blog: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/
Archive: https://archive.org/details/@theclassicgeek/
3D Things: https://www.thingiverse.com/classicgeek/collections

Reply 26628 of 27504, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
StriderTR wrote on 2024-02-04, 01:53:

Going through my DOS "collection" in ScummVM, getting everything configured correctly.

Found myself stuck in Crusader No Remorse, one of my favorite games (and No Regret) from the 90's.

I forgot how much fun it is to play. 😀

Such a fun game. Controls were janky as hell, but the soundtrack more than made up for it.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 26629 of 27504, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-02-03, 23:23:

I'm jealous! I'd love to have an EGA monitor, but those are pretty hard to find, especially in my price range. Take care of it!

Oh I will! 😁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 26630 of 27504, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-02-03, 23:23:

It might be that a lot of the survivors around that can do EGA aren't "EGA" monitors per se, there's several multisync types and even early VGA that also have a TTL input. One such is my Mitsubishi Diamondscan. Anyway, could be that EGA capable monitors are passed over because they're not advertised as EGA, but maybe also aren't taken up by ppl looking for a "good" VGA because they may only do 800x600 max. There's a bit of a memory hole on monitors of the right age though, hard to find comprehensive specs.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 26631 of 27504, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe doesn't reserve the BIOS range for mono cards, uses it for something else. IF there's a BIOS shadow off option, you could try that, see if it picks it up then.

Reply 26632 of 27504, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After watching this video, I had the curiosity to try browservice.

Works fine with my Pentium II Win98 machine.

Attachments

• browservice.png
    Filename
    browservice.png
    File size
    1.39 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Browservice on Windows98 IE
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 26633 of 27504, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally finished getting Windows ME on the Gericom and I'm surprised at how stable it is.

file.php?mode=view&id=184471

3D performance is pretty bad tho 🤣

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 26634 of 27504, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Demetrio wrote on 2024-02-04, 06:26:

After watching this video, I had the curiosity to try browservice.

Works fine with my Pentium II Win98 machine.

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 26635 of 27504, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried using a passive DVI to VGA adapter on my GTX 970, and was pleasantly surprised that it actually worked.

One port on the card is DVI-D only, but the other seems to be DVI-I, and that one can be used with the passive adapter. The signal is very clean too. Didn't expect this from a card manufactured in 2014.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 26636 of 27504, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I started modifying an old case that will host a P4 and 6600GT system, it was devoid of any hole for ventilation and this time I went for a second intake fan that will go from down up instead of the usual side panel fan.

Attachments

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 26637 of 27504, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vintage market 02/24
The weather was warm, the market was bigger than in the past couple of months. Barely any computer parts or PC games. I found 2 floppy drives, 3.5" and a hard drive. There was an XP era Pentium M laptop, the 386SX PC I've seen for months, and that's about it. There were a couple of retro consoles and games though.

IMG_20240204_093458.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240204_093458.jpg
File size
911.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20240204_082802.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240204_082802.jpg
File size
1.43 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20240204_082256.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240204_082256.jpg
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license

At the end I spent only about 2.5€, getting a brand new Ikea CD stand and the english Xbox version of Split/Second: Velocity with an absolutely massacred disc, but the cover and booklet was in good condition and I already own the game, but that one has Russian cover and no manual.

At least I had a nice walk.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 26638 of 27504, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never understood the ill will that ME got. As I recall, the people that had an issue at the time were people that were trying to run it on sub-par systems. I never personally used it during the time, as 98 worked just fine, and i saw no reason to upgrade. I stayed with 98 until games started to "require" XP.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 26639 of 27504, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played around with my ASUS PVI-486SP3. https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/asus-pvi-486sp3

My main 486 is based on QDI V4S471/G. https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/qdi-v4s471-g

The ASUS board is newer and has PCI slots. I thought i could easily get better doom and quake benchmarks with the ASUS board, but... nope. Seems like that the QDI with its 1MB of L2 cache just obliterates anything else. (Asus has 256kB) (In quake, ASUS=16.0FPS, QDI=17.2FPS)
I did a quick choice amongst my PCI graphics cards. 2 cards topped out identical max number on speedsys' vidmem speed - around 13900 kB/s. (Matrox Millennium and ATI 3d Rage Pro)
Asus allowed me to use 50MHz FSB and tune every memory and cache setting to the tightest, except for CL, that had to be 3 instead of 2. On QDI i had to loosen some L2 cache timings, too...

So that's it. No point to replace QDI board with ASUS board. I really don't care about PCI (I feel it belongs to pentiums and i have an amazing Trio32 VLB) and the QDI is just so much better with 1MB of L2 cache.

Last edited by GigAHerZ on 2024-02-04, 19:19. Edited 1 time in total.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!