VOGONS

Reply 27380 of 27511, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2024-04-21, 14:22:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2024-04-21, 09:25:

Alphacool makes an all metal fan. It's their new Apex line.

Only piece that is major metal is frame. Rest of fan's frame and fan blades are made of plastic but nicely made but not impressive specs when compared to premium fans. Anandtech reviewed these.

Cheers,

Yes you are correct that's my bad.
I know that Delta does make fans that have diecast aluminum frames and blades they are kinda scary what they can cut through.

Reply 27381 of 27511, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was looking a bit into my cellar, photographed two machines' internals.

Both are s754 machines.

The blue machine had a sticker on the case. I checked the GPU and it has been upgraded to 9600 Pro. No idea what cpu the green motherboard may have.

At some point might start a revival project base on one of them.

Attachments

• blue_mb.jpeg
    Filename
    blue_mb.jpeg
    File size
    1.51 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Blue motherboard
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • green_mb.jpeg
    Filename
    green_mb.jpeg
    File size
    1.26 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Green motherboard
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • blue_spec.jpeg
    Filename
    blue_spec.jpeg
    File size
    660.93 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Blue specs
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 27382 of 27511, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't had a good week, it wasn't a fan but I was mishandling a craft knife blade and cut my finger very badly. It's healing but I have a numb area on the tip of my middle finger now 🙁

Still swapped out the DSP chip on a CT2770 and checked how bad the midi bugs are on the regular DSP since my CT3620 hasn't been upgraded yet. Wow the SB16 is a fairly useless MIDI output without these fixes.

And another day, another torn Toshiba HDD flex cable:

2016_0114_014716_001 (Custom) (1).JPG
Filename
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
2016_0114_050622_002 (Custom) (1).JPG
Filename
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
toshiba-550cdt-flex-cable.jpg
Filename
File size
868.17 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The jumper wires mid-cable are my fault where I was trying to clear the polyimide insulation for the 5v power segment, but cut through the cable too. The mini grinder is really the only way to get these traces cleaned up

I'm not sure whether I caused this or whether it's the reason the laptop was sold for parts, I'm betting it's the latter though since it took me a while to spot it.
Ahh, I need to design up an adapter board to take the place of these flex cables.

Reply 27383 of 27511, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Thermalwrong wrote on 2024-04-21, 20:38:
I haven't had a good week, it wasn't a fan but I was mishandling a craft knife blade and cut my finger very badly. It's healing […]
Show full quote

I haven't had a good week, it wasn't a fan but I was mishandling a craft knife blade and cut my finger very badly. It's healing but I have a numb area on the tip of my middle finger now 🙁

Still swapped out the DSP chip on a CT2770 and checked how bad the midi bugs are on the regular DSP since my CT3620 hasn't been upgraded yet. Wow the SB16 is a fairly useless MIDI output without these fixes.

And another day, another torn Toshiba HDD flex cable:

The jumper wires mid-cable are my fault where I was trying to clear the polyimide insulation for the 5v power segment, but cut through the cable too. The mini grinder is really the only way to get these traces cleaned up

I'm not sure whether I caused this or whether it's the reason the laptop was sold for parts, I'm betting it's the latter though since it took me a while to spot it.
Ahh, I need to design up an adapter board to take the place of these flex cables.

Ouch that sucks, didn't you pay attention on Blue Peter when they told you to ask an adult to do the cutting? 🤣 ... yeah I split the tip of a finger down the middle on a piece of sharp metal the year before last, and it cut feeling off from half of it, don't know exactly how long it took, but a couple months after it was back to normal.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 27384 of 27511, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I decided to part with my spare VIA EPIA-800 board since, so I am in the process of getting it hooked up to verify it's all still working and take some photos. While it's nice to have a spare board, it's just collecting dust and should really be getting used. I figure I can put whatever funds I get from it into my "collection" toward another 3D printer. 😜

I also won a prize from a drawing I entered a couple months back and had completely forgot about! I literally just got the email and thought it was a scam at first, thankfully I quickly remembered entering the drawing before I marked the email as spam.

It's a silver metal commemorative Doom floppy disk, looks pretty cool. It's coming from somewhere in the UK, and should be here May 2nd it says. Can't wait to see it!

Attachments

• DoomPrize.jpg
    Filename
    DoomPrize.jpg
    File size
    142.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Retro Blog: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/
Archive: https://archive.org/details/@theclassicgeek/
3D Things: https://www.thingiverse.com/classicgeek/collections

Reply 27385 of 27511, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
StriderTR wrote on 2024-04-22, 18:10:

I also won a prize from a drawing I entered a couple months back and had completely forgot about! I literally just got the email and thought it was a scam at first, thankfully I quickly remembered entering the drawing before I marked the email as spam.

It's a silver metal commemorative Doom floppy disk, looks pretty cool. It's coming from somewhere in the UK, and should be here May 2nd it says. Can't wait to see it!

That looks awesome! Didn't realize at first glance that they deliberately "aged" the box as well. 😁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 27386 of 27511, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is more retro hardware adjacent than actual hardware related, but it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time.

I have a workbench I had previously built for model and miniature painting. I've decided to re-purpose it for papercraft and attempt restoration of old hardware and game boxes.

Workbench - Boxes.jpg
Filename
Workbench - Boxes.jpg
File size
609.35 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I've got quite a few boxes with varying degrees of wear. While I can appreciate the aged patina on some of the boxes, those with actual tears or creases I'd like to try to repair.

There isn't a lot of restoration material out there for restoring old boxes. Most of what I've found is pretty basic. I've got a some different techniques in mind to try to restore these. My ultimate goal would be able to do crease or tear repairs that are virtually invisible. We'll see if that is achievable.

I'm going to practice on some sacrificial pieces of paper and cardboard before moving onto the classic boxes.

Workbench - Adlib Box.jpg
Filename
File size
543.18 KiB
Views
File license
Workbench - Game Boxes.jpg
Filename
File size
674.94 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 27387 of 27511, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-04-23, 01:38:
This is more retro hardware adjacent than actual hardware related, but it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time. […]
Show full quote

This is more retro hardware adjacent than actual hardware related, but it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time.

I have a workbench I had previously built for model and miniature painting. I've decided to re-purpose it for papercraft and attempt restoration of old hardware and game boxes.

Workbench - Boxes.jpg

I've got quite a few boxes with varying degrees of wear. While I can appreciate the aged patina on some of the boxes, those with actual tears or creases I'd like to try to repair.

There isn't a lot of restoration material out there for restoring old boxes. Most of what I've found is pretty basic. I've got a some different techniques in mind to try to restore these. My ultimate goal would be able to do crease or tear repairs that are virtually invisible. We'll see if that is achievable.

I'm going to practice on some sacrificial pieces of paper and cardboard before moving onto the classic boxes.

I had no idea that cardboard box restoration was a thing. It never would have crossed my mind.

Reply 27388 of 27511, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
This is more retro hardware adjacent than actual hardware related, but it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time. […]
Show full quote

Workbench - Boxes.jpg

Very cool! I would love to see what you come up with for box repair.

If you have time, I think that would be thread-worthy. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 27389 of 27511, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Read the Wikipedia page on Dune II. (Re)discovered that there had been a Dune 2000 which I had completely forgotten about, despite having played it a lot during LAN parties back then.

/me love my P200MMX@225 Mhz + Voodoo Banshee + SB Live! + Sound Canvas SC-55ST = unlimited joy !

Reply 27391 of 27511, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Getting the Zenith Data Systems Z-Note 325Lc repaired. Fixed the floppy booting issues, but it doesn't want to read/write 1.44MB diskettes (I think the cable needs to be replaced), but ironically reads and writes 720K diskettes fine.

I also made a 4.8V battery for the system to keep the time and date setting (4x rechargeable AAA batteries, some wire to bridge the - and + leads in parallel, red wire for +, black wire for -, soldered to the motherboard (the original connector wiring is totally corroded), and it keeps the settings).

Just need to find a way to disable the hard drive from being detected in the BIOS so I can use the XUBDisk to start from it.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 27392 of 27511, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday:

- fixed an early 10s 1TB Seagate ST31000528AS that had a corrupt partition which in turn caused long times for reading and a UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME crash
- sold my ole' Zida 6DLX w/ a Celeron 433 slotket and a few other things like 128MB SDR, a GF 4 MX440 and a 10GB Xbox HDD (slim Seagate ST310014ACE), along with 98SE
- retested my "penny modded" 🤣 X1950XTX PCI-E. That thing runs like a trooper ever since... just keep it away from Windows 10 (desktop UI glitches with it for whatever reason.)
- checked a K6-II Plus I had on a ol' reliable Luckytech-SYE P5MVP3 mobo, still running! Not sure what GPU to pair it with - Geforce 2, TNT2 M64 or a Savage 4.

To do today:
- fiddle with Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL BIOS... mainly patch the "Unknown CPU type" to "AMD Athlon XP-M". Somone on Techpowerup sent me guide on how to do that, and I have two BIOS-es to do this on - Soltek and MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR. Soltek sports a 2600, the MSI sports a 2400.
- test out an AGP HD3450 from ASUS with a nForce 2 mobo to figure out which driver version would suit best - this idea came from @Ozzuneoj's experiencea with ATI cards and nF2 based boards.
- come up with a plan to tidy stuff up

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 27393 of 27511, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

Workbench - Boxes.jpg

it will be interesting to see before/after and also a run down of what you did, an area of restoration new to me

Reply 27394 of 27511, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The replacement of the capacitors has been done, unfortunately I do not have professional equipment, and this complicates my work a lot, the welding station I have is quite cheap, and it only acts as a welder, it does not have a pond vacuum, for that I use a manual one, but despite everything sometimes I can not free the holes, for the more stubborn ones I have to act manually or use other techniques, I do not use tiny tips and drill, although they could facilitate a lot and shorten the time ⏱, necessary to free the obstructed holes.

Now this MB SOYO SY-6IZM/3, is ready to be tested on the bench, but I noticed a strange resistance in the back of the Slot1, maybe it's a repair or it's a mod to improve stability (?), or it bypasses some BIOS setting, making people believe that the CPU is for example an FSB 100 instead of 66, but not being a technician and being quite ignorant of Slot1, I have no idea what that resistance connected to that pin does, and I think it's grounded on the other side, maybe it adds a tenth of VCORE, but they are just assumptions, It could be anything else.

There are also three PC100 RAMs of 64 MB each on board, the amount is more than enough to install Windows 98SE or similar, but if necessary they can be changed with others of 128 MB or 256 MB, and it would already be possible to install later Windows like XP, besides I don't think it is possible, except that you perform a CPU Upgrade.

Attachments

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 27395 of 27511, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC@LIVE wrote on 2024-04-23, 10:49:

Now this MB SOYO SY-6IZM/3, is ready to be tested on the bench, but I noticed a strange resistance in the back of the Slot1, maybe it's a repair or it's a mod to improve stability (?), or it bypasses some BIOS setting, making people believe that the CPU is for example an FSB 100 instead of 66, but not being a technician and being quite ignorant of Slot1, I have no idea what that resistance connected to that pin does, and I think it's grounded on the other side, maybe it adds a tenth of VCORE, but they are just assumptions, It could be anything else.

If the res is connected to ground it is pulling down some +V.
I'd like to know what's for too.

If I read it correctly it's a 220 ohms resistor, nothing high.

If I counted correctly it's pin B21: 100/66# BCLK Frequency Select, maybe it's a permanent FSB100 hack. Is there a way in BIOS to select the FSB? Maybe for lack of selection it overclocks a lower FSB rated CPU?
Can you select 66/100 in BIOS at all?

https://datasheets.chipdb.org/Intel/x86/Penti … II/24365703.PDF

Vcore is determined by the HIP + the 2 mosfets (I guess; HIP is a mosfet driver).
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/v … HIP6018BCB.html

Last edited by Nexxen on 2024-04-23, 12:54. Edited 6 times in total.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 27396 of 27511, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2024-04-23, 08:04:
Yesterday: […]
Show full quote

Yesterday:

- fixed an early 10s 1TB Seagate ST31000528AS that had a corrupt partition which in turn caused long times for reading and a UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME crash
- sold my ole' Zida 6DLX w/ a Celeron 433 slotket and a few other things like 128MB SDR, a GF 4 MX440 and a 10GB Xbox HDD (slim Seagate ST310014ACE), along with 98SE
- retested my "penny modded" 🤣 X1950XTX PCI-E. That thing runs like a trooper ever since... just keep it away from Windows 10 (desktop UI glitches with it for whatever reason.)
- checked a K6-II Plus I had on a ol' reliable Luckytech-SYE P5MVP3 mobo, still running! Not sure what GPU to pair it with - Geforce 2, TNT2 M64 or a Savage 4.

To do today:
- fiddle with Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL BIOS... mainly patch the "Unknown CPU type" to "AMD Athlon XP-M". Somone on Techpowerup sent me guide on how to do that, and I have two BIOS-es to do this on - Soltek and MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR. Soltek sports a 2600, the MSI sports a 2400.
- test out an AGP HD3450 from ASUS with a nForce 2 mobo to figure out which driver version would suit best - this idea came from @Ozzuneoj's experiencea with ATI cards and nF2 based boards.
- come up with a plan to tidy stuff up

Hi PcBytes, sorry a bit off topic here. I noticed you own a PCChips M726MRT board. I read the slot 1 can take a coppermine. Do you know what’s the fastest CPU the socket 370 can take? And does the board do 133Mhz bus? I’m thinking about purchasing this board for a build. You said it’s pretty stable.

Reply 27397 of 27511, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2024-04-23, 12:24:
If the res is connected to ground it is pulling down some +V. I'd like to know what's for too. […]
Show full quote

If I counted correctly it's pin B21: 100/66# BCLK Frequency Select, maybe it's a permanent FSB100 hack. Is there a way in BIOS to select the FSB? Maybe for lack of selection it overclocks a lower FSB rated CPU?

Vcore is determined by the HIP + the 2 mosfets (I guess; HIP is a mosfet driver).

So I thought it could be an alternative way to raise the FSB, the motherboard has no jumpers, so only from the BIOS can you change the frequency, assuming it is available, some BIOSes are essential, and do not allow you to select other frequencies, so it would be possible for the mod to do what the BIOS cannot do.
Unfortunately I have not yet tried starting the MB, when I do, if I read 400 MHz instead of 266 MHz, it will be clear what it is for.

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 27398 of 27511, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote on 2024-04-23, 07:56:

Getting the Zenith Data Systems Z-Note 325Lc repaired. Fixed the floppy booting issues, but it doesn't want to read/write 1.44MB diskettes (I think the cable needs to be replaced), but ironically reads and writes 720K diskettes fine.

You can get that behavior when the density select sensor, be it switch or optical is not working, and also when the drive has gone slightly out of alignment.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 27399 of 27511, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC@LIVE wrote on 2024-04-23, 13:27:
Nexxen wrote on 2024-04-23, 12:24:
If the res is connected to ground it is pulling down some +V. I'd like to know what's for too. […]
Show full quote

So I thought it could be an alternative way to raise the FSB, the motherboard has no jumpers, so only from the BIOS can you change the frequency, assuming it is available, some BIOSes are essential, and do not allow you to select other frequencies, so it would be possible for the mod to do what the BIOS cannot do.
Unfortunately I have not yet tried starting the MB, when I do, if I read 400 MHz instead of 266 MHz, it will be clear what it is for.

You didn't power it on? Go turn 2000 biolche, by hand! 🤣
Post back when tested. Ciao!

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K