VOGONS

Reply 27440 of 27544, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder how close the functional die get to the corner. I've seen lots of these chips with chipped corners with no problems.

I also had the unfortunate experience of ripping a die completely off of the PCB carrier. Be careful when pulling "up" on the processor when it's a direct contact.

Thermal tape ripped CPU die off of package substrate

I use graphite pads now.

Reply 27441 of 27544, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just inspected it thoroughly. Unfortunately no missing or damaged components. One track looked suspicious until getting under the microscope - it was just fine. Cleaned slot contacts with IPA but still nothing. POST code card reads C4. Calling it ... 🙁

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 27442 of 27544, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ran fdisk /mbr on a 122MB HDD and Norton Disk Doctor to see if I can get it to restore. Eventually, the hard drive sprang to life, however, Norton Disk Doctor put files into DIR0000X directories and 17 _DD files that are mysterious, but I'm looking for a way to convert those files to the actual files they were since my Zenith laptop needs a particular software to get the LAN ID set once again.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 27444 of 27544, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fixed a dead MSI K7T Turbo2 motherboard which was missing the tinniest SMS capacitor I ever had to solder. Major pain to find the problem and even more painful to fix but it's working now.

Also added an ISA slot to the motherboard which is always nice to have for DOS games. And then it was time to transfer it from my workbench to a case I recently bought and always wanted to have (a Cooler Master Wave Master).

At first everything seems to work but then I saw that the ISA slot was not working (sound card was not detected anymore). As I thought it was a bad solder job I disassembled the motherboard from the case and tested it again on the workbench where it worked again. So after some more testing the motherboard with some other PSU's it seems it didn't like the Enermax Modu 82+ 625W PSU which was in the case. Before using it I checked, cleaned, and tested it and a everything seems alright (voltages were in range, no leaking, bloated caps etc).

Still a bit baffled why it didn't work with this PSU but will use another PSU for now. Fitted the replacement PSU with a new fan though as the old sleeve bearing fan was making too much noise even after cleaning and lubricating it.

Reply 27445 of 27544, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After buying my Roland Sound Canvas SC-55ST, I was missing a pair of good speakers to really enjoy its sound quality. I decided to retrieve from my stock of old junk a Phillips FR731 Hi-Fi amplifier (50 W) and connected it to 2 x Pioneer full size speakers (under the table, not visible on the picture). The whole thing sounds amazing.

20240426_222133.jpg
Filename
20240426_222133.jpg
File size
587.12 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20240426_222121.jpg
Filename
20240426_222121.jpg
File size
590.96 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Still need to rearrange things because it looks very messy at the moment. The whole setup is made of stuff from 1994-2001.

/me love my P200MMX@225 Mhz + Voodoo Banshee + SB Live! + Sound Canvas SC-55ST = unlimited joy !

Reply 27446 of 27544, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-04-27, 09:57:

You can also use a tool like GetDataBack Pro, to try and recover data from the FAT filesystem. This software has saved me many times in the past.

Well, that's the only problem. I don't have a system with an IDE bus and my main laptop and MacBook won't detect the drive for some reason.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 27447 of 27544, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I broke my garden hose valve. To stop the water from flowing I had to turn another valve located inside a closet in the house.

This closet is normally full of boxes but also (on the back, behind the mess) computer parts !

Since i was forced to remove everything to access the cutoff valve I sorted the mess and stored the retro parts on the front.

I'm sure there are parts inside I totally forgot I had. Can't wait to dig inside !

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 27448 of 27544, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The commemorative Doom disk I won arrived today. Will take it out and display it when I have space to do that. Looks cool!

Attachments

Retro Blog: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/
Archive: https://archive.org/details/@theclassicgeek/
3D Things: https://www.thingiverse.com/classicgeek/collections

Reply 27449 of 27544, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yoghoo wrote on 2024-04-27, 12:09:
Fixed a dead MSI K7T Turbo2 motherboard which was missing the tinniest SMS capacitor I ever had to solder. Major pain to find th […]
Show full quote

Fixed a dead MSI K7T Turbo2 motherboard which was missing the tinniest SMS capacitor I ever had to solder. Major pain to find the problem and even more painful to fix but it's working now.

Also added an ISA slot to the motherboard which is always nice to have for DOS games. And then it was time to transfer it from my workbench to a case I recently bought and always wanted to have (a Cooler Master Wave Master).

At first everything seems to work but then I saw that the ISA slot was not working (sound card was not detected anymore). As I thought it was a bad solder job I disassembled the motherboard from the case and tested it again on the workbench where it worked again. So after some more testing the motherboard with some other PSU's it seems it didn't like the Enermax Modu 82+ 625W PSU which was in the case. Before using it I checked, cleaned, and tested it and a everything seems alright (voltages were in range, no leaking, bloated caps etc).

Still a bit baffled why it didn't work with this PSU but will use another PSU for now. Fitted the replacement PSU with a new fan though as the old sleeve bearing fan was making too much noise even after cleaning and lubricating it.

Nice work ! Some older boards (mostly in athlon or early p2/p3) do not like the newer ATX12v spec PSU's. Have run into it my self and keep a few older ATX12v 2.01 to 2.03 around for those picky boards that do not like 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc 😀
Checked the Enermax and it is a ATX12v 2.3. Which PSU does work ? curious so I can check it's spec to see if it is the spec version issue.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 27450 of 27544, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Swapped my Slot A build from a Lian Li PC-7 USB on the right, into a Lian Li PC-7 USB B2 on the left. The B2 is basically a second revision and gains a fan location in the roof, but trades the the larger HDD cage from the original for a smaller one, and loses two USB ports on the front. I'm trying not to have any duplicate Lian Li cases with builds in (which is getting tricky now I've got 9 of the things) so since I already have another system in a PC-7 USB, and I have the original box etc for this particular one, it can go in the loft for a while until I decide what to do with it.

Attachments

Reply 27451 of 27544, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm on my quest finding out good flexible babyAT mATX format motherboard with integrated graphics for DOS/Win3.1 box. So ASUS P5-99VM popped up on local auction suite. With optimal configuration (missing audio part - well noone cares about ES1371 sound in DOS) Fortunately no one else was interested so I got it for €10.
Well few caps were damaged, chipset heatsink and battery holder were missing. It turned out to be perfectly working motherboard. Biggest mechanical hurdle was to compensate broken center retaining clip holder for CPU heatsink. So I "MacGyverd" DIY contraption from paperclip 😀. Socket 7 CPUs do not need high pressure so it seems to be good enough after few days of testing.

Another disappointment was lack of out of the box K6+ mobile CPU support. Fortunately patched bios version exists. Biggest confusion was however with voltage jumpers. 2.0V which is "stock" voltage for "+" CPUs did not work. I measured VCORE CPU pin with multimeter and it showed 0v. 2.1V setting with K6-2+ 500 however turned out to be working just fine. No overheating. All in all I'm quite happy with MB.

PS! In case anyone is searching about Windows 3.1 iGPU support for this MB I'm happy to report that ASUS MES-VM SiS 620 VGA driver for Windows 3.1 v.1.02 works for this MB. It seems that SIS 620 and 530 iGPUs are very similar.

Attachments

• 99VM_front.jpg
    Filename
    99VM_front.jpg
    File size
    1.65 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • cpu_mnt.jpg
    Filename
    cpu_mnt.jpg
    File size
    319.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by vutt on 2024-04-28, 10:05. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 27454 of 27544, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2024-04-28, 02:00:
Yoghoo wrote on 2024-04-27, 12:09:
Fixed a dead MSI K7T Turbo2 motherboard which was missing the tinniest SMS capacitor I ever had to solder. Major pain to find th […]
Show full quote

Nice work ! Some older boards (mostly in athlon or early p2/p3) do not like the newer ATX12v spec PSU's. Have run into it my self and keep a few older ATX12v 2.01 to 2.03 around for those picky boards that do not like 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc 😀
Checked the Enermax and it is a ATX12v 2.3. Which PSU does work ? curious so I can check it's spec to see if it is the spec version issue.

Tested it with a couple of other PSU's which all worked. The newest of them was a Fortron Source FSP350-60APN. Which is ATX version 2.3 I believe. Still don't understand the problem as the only issue was the ISA port. Which mostly uses 5V and that checked out stable and perfectly in spec. Also as this motherboard has a 12V CPU connector the load on 5V should not be too high. Also tested a couple of other ISA sound cards but none of them worked with this PSU.

Reply 27455 of 27544, by demiurge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After fighting trying to get windows ME to install on a PCI controller SATA drive for weeks I got an ALi controller and it just works. Turns out there is something weird going on with Silicon Image and VIA controllers. I will have to troubleshoot more, but I can only assume it is due to SATA3. Even OP ROM updates to the SIL controllers didn't help. It just hangs when trying to boot Windows ME after install. Some VXD causes a hang that hangs hard.

Reply 27456 of 27544, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got Ultima VII running on a Pentium 4 651 (Cedar Mill).

Ultima VII - Pentium 4.jpg
Filename
File size
652.62 KiB
Views
File license

I disabled both L1 & L2 cache and set the multiplier to 12x. With L1 & L2 cache disabled, it seems Ultima VII can't re-enable them for whatever reason.

It's a bit faster than my native 486 DX-33; probably closer to a 486 DX-40. Faster than optimal, but still playable.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 27457 of 27544, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-04-28, 21:28:
Got Ultima VII running on a Pentium 4 651 (Cedar Mill). […]
Show full quote

Got Ultima VII running on a Pentium 4 651 (Cedar Mill).

I disabled both L1 & L2 cache and set the multiplier to 12x. With L1 & L2 cache disabled, it seems Ultima VII can't re-enable them for whatever reason.

It's a bit faster than my native 486 DX-33; probably closer to a 486 DX-40. Faster than optimal, but still playable.

I've always avoided P4s like the plague, but I might be underestimating their use for retrogaming. Given the ever increasing cost of old hardware, they might be a good option for some people. Getting 486 performance would be really useful for DOS gaming.

Reply 27458 of 27544, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-04-28, 23:56:

I've always avoided P4s like the plague, but I might be underestimating their use for retrogaming. Given the ever increasing cost of old hardware, they might be a good option for some people. Getting 486 performance would be really useful for DOS gaming.

I've been pleasantly surprised with this P4 build. My original expectations was to use it for non-speed sensitive games in DOS. Finding out it can turn into a mid-range 486 with a single command has been the icing on the cake.

The trick has been pairing it with a motherboard with working ISA slots. The availability of such motherboards is likely to be the bigger barrier when it comes to these builds.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 27459 of 27544, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-04-29, 01:15:

The trick has been pairing it with a motherboard with working ISA slots. The availability of such motherboards is likely to be the bigger barrier when it comes to these builds.

Please elaborate ?! 😲
(which mobo/models ?)
865 chipset?

Edit: oh, nevermind, found it in your signature!
We're talking about them elusive ITOX boards I see.