VOGONS

Reply 500 of 27549, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's cool!

Doing ground work for another video to do with a Retro Gaming PC with a Voodoo 3.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 502 of 27549, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Cool so you can actually get to capture some of the test patterns here in this Q3 UI mod so I can perfect that filter 😀

Did I reply the last time? What you wrote went over my head / too technical. Give me something I can run, take a video / screenshot and no worries. But I had no idea what you wanted the last time 😵 Oh and I believe the AVerMedia doesn't capture in RGB but some other, lesser, colour space.

Reply 503 of 27549, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I played Duke Nukem 3D. I can only play an hour every couple of days. The music and aliens get to me after a while. I also played Wings of Fury (sinking ships with torpedos is cool) and Defender of the Crown. One of my fondest games from the 1980s. I remember playing it on my cousin's Wang PC with CGA CRT back in the 1980s.

Reply 504 of 27549, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I went over to my Cyrix 6X86-P166 and replaced it with a Pentium MMX 133MHz. Then I proceeded to load up some classic titles from the early 90s to the late mid. X-Wing & Tie FIghter, Doom 1 & 2, Heretic, Duke Nukem 3D, and loaded up some old TSR SSI games. For the past few days I've been reading through old Computer Gaming Weekly's from that time period and those SSI ads got me hooked. Seems the games with the lowest graphics had the best cover art.

Reply 505 of 27549, by kuparikettu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I built a Windows 98 SE retro rig. I received an old Compaq DeskPro Celeron 600 yesterday, and today I installed SB Audigy and ATI Radeon 9000 Pro in it. I have to say I was really surprised to see how easy it was to get everything running,

Hopefully things will get as smooth on the DOS 6.22 side when I move my Pentium MMX 233 SBC and Soundblasters from Amiga 2000 to my new industrial PC... 😀

Reply 506 of 27549, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have cleaned the front panel and the hood of my Laser 8086 system. Also received the new floppy drive.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 508 of 27549, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I got a new Sound Blaster 16 sound card. It's a CT2910 with OPL on board and it sounds freaking amazing, I installed it in my Packard Bell Platinum 55 and made a quick video of it playing Handel's Watermusic - Air from a mid file.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zSlHgRWxIk&feature=youtu.be

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 509 of 27549, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a new Winbond I/O controller chip for the semi-revived P3B-F. Just before replacing it I decided to give it another quick test. Well guess what... Now, it doesn't do anything anymore. Just like the P3B-F with the smoked ISA slot, the supply voltages come up but it doesn't POST. Even the POST card stays blank. There's no signal on any bus, nothing.

So now the only "working" P3B-F I have is the one I found in scrap earlier this week, which only works properly for about 10 minutes before crashing. I now suspect bad caps are the primary cause though, since some of them run really hot on this board.

Now I don't know what to do with the new I/O chip. I could replace it, see if it helps, but I'm afraid that would just waste a $8 chip.

Reply 511 of 27549, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

With slot 1 boards I had good luck with AOpen. They fitted Japanese caps.

But AOpen boards tend to be really boring. No interesting features, not much overclocking capability, 3 RAM slots max, etc. The P3B-F is one of the best slot 1 boards feature-wise, but if they're all as unstable as the boards I have, I might just hold on to this P2B for a little longer... or see if I can get one of those mighty cool Abit boards...

The caps used on P3B-F are Sanyo and Rubycon, by the way 😉

Reply 512 of 27549, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never had a problem with p3b-f boards. I have one working nicely and a good one for backup (and had one back in the day, new).

I do not overclock these boards because they are old (and probably have had a life full of overclocking before, since they were flagship enthousiasts items).

I did however get one DOA not too long ago. Seller said it was working but after a lot of attemps i had to trash it: absolutely dead.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 513 of 27549, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My retro activity today: Making some room....

I have to sell some stuff because i have way too much parts 😐

This hobby started just to get my 3dfx cards working and i just bought way to much along the way 😎

Since i have more than enough systems, parts, backup parts and backups for the backups etc. it is time to cut it down to what i really want AND use. It's a SAD day but some things have to be done....

I have to become a collector again and stop beeing a hoarder 🤣

Today i made some big steps, tomorrow i will finish it.

Reply 515 of 27549, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haha! I'm sure....

Isn't there a clinic for people like us? 🤣

Reply 516 of 27549, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

Haha! I'm sure....

Isn't there a clinic for people like us? 🤣

I thought vogons.org is the clinic. 🤣 You will cure if you sell your stuff to us. 😵

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 517 of 27549, by joacim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I feel a lot less like a hoarder after organising my piles of computer hardware into plastic bins and antistatic bags. My collection doesn't take up as much room anymore and I know where everything is. My hardware collection is nowhere near as bad as my games collection tho. I end up buying multiple copies of games simply because I forget I already own the game.

Having my hardware organised does make me feel more like a collector, but I don't think it'll last long. I'll sure I'll start to feel like a hoarder again in a few months when I have to buy more and bigger bins for my stuff.

At least this hobby isn't too expensive. I spend less money on this hobby than some of my friends spend on lunch. 😀

Reply 518 of 27549, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea I also have storage boxes and anti static bags 😀

But I ran out of shelf space somewhat 🤣

Reply 519 of 27549, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hooked up my C64 to make sure it was still working after taking it apart to see which SID chip was in it, (6581 R4AR).

Last edited by ZanQuance on 2019-02-20, 05:34. Edited 1 time in total.