VOGONS

Reply 1680 of 27506, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosquest wrote:

I rebuilt my Windows 98 Pentium III gaming pc. Installed a 200GB hard drive. 😁

you're going to love it after you stuff it with more than 110gb!!!

(DON'T DO IT YOU'LL LOSE EVERYTHING)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1681 of 27506, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
dosquest wrote:

Do tell, 110GB limit?

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1682 of 27506, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Upgraded my socket A to a 250GB drive, my SS7 to a 40GB and better CD burner (Samsung, DMA33), and recapped my SB Pro 2.0 (CT1600). Can't wait to try it out.

20150809_221520.jpg
Filename
20150809_221520.jpg
File size
4.39 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1683 of 27506, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Installed Window 98 on a Thinkpad T42 and had a quick look at my boxed PC gamecollection in the closet.... closet... 😐
SADOlid.jpg

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 1685 of 27506, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
squareguy wrote:
leileilol wrote:
dosquest wrote:

Do tell, 110GB limit?

FAT32 supposedly supports partitions up to 2tb each but in reality it does not. Very bad things happen when you go over that limit.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 1686 of 27506, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FAT32 supports giant partitions allright... it is Windows 98 that does not. Above 127GB and it will wrap around and interpret anything above its limit as writes to the beggining of the disk and completely trash it. Patch it (with LBA-48 support), install an specific IDE driver (VIA's driver supports LBA-48) or be sure every partition Windows 98 has access to fits under 127GB.

Anyway, played Keen today... And I'm messing around with Dreams to Reality.

Reply 1687 of 27506, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Indrid Cold wrote:
Had the time (finally) to inspect a PC that was given to me time ago: […]
Show full quote

Had the time (finally) to inspect a PC that was given to me time ago:

P_20150809_164954.jpg

P_20150809_165659.jpg

It's an Asus CUSI-FX. 😀 The integrated CMI8738 has nice FM sound but it's Sound Blaster digitized part has great incompatibility with games in DOS.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 1688 of 27506, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:
RetroBoogie wrote:

Just recapped my SB32 with fresh Rubycons. Fired it up and noticed some added warmth to the sound already. Will check on the surround system.

What series of Rubycons did you use? Did you use the same capacitance values as original, or did you change them?
I've heard of some people changing some of the values, but I have no idea what changes they are making.

Oh man, I tried to use the top series that were listed in another thread that I found, but all the caps weren't available so I had to skip around a bit. Let me see if I can't find my order sheet.

Alright, so I used a mixture of ZLS, MH7, MH5, YXF, and YXG. I am very novice at capacitor knowledge, but can solder them. I used matching capacitance and voltages as the originals. I have read that reading the specs for the chip outputs can tell which 'proper' cap to use, as apparently Creative skimped out on some of the values leading to reductions in the sound (cutoff frequencies or something). Honestly I just find that fresh caps are better than the old cheap junk they put on these cards. I recapped my SB Pro 2.0 and SB32, but my Awe64 value has all good Rubycons already, so maybe that's why they sound better overall.

I can tell you that I noticed a great improvement in the SB Pro 2.0.

Reply 1689 of 27506, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that I am trapped using Windows 7 (Worst OS ever I might add) every day, I realize that most of my computer-type tasks are technically retro because most of my software doesn't even work in this OS. Having regained access to my blog I tried to edit it only to find the software I use for that doesn't work in Windows 7, a bit like my image editor, some of my video tools, my audio editor and my MIDI sequencer... And my scanners don't work. That does it methinks, I NEED to set up my ULTRA Windows 98 SUPER TURBO OVERKILL HYPER FIGHTERS THE WORLD WARRIOR CHAMPIONS EDITION SYSTEM... GTI... Running Windows ME. Then I have to put it to practical use. Problem is, I have an Athlon on the desk and as I think about it, no, that won't do. I don't want to buy anything so it looks like I'll have to go with a Coppermine PIII which is a bit slower than I wanted, but I am not trusting an Athlon box - I am not stupid, I've been there before, they don't work.

Hardly a surprise and it gets worse, because the calculator in Windows 10 (Soon to be an upgrade that happens here, I hate Windows 7) well, it's not accurate at all. How do you mess that up? If the calculator doesn't work on what is, essentially, a giant calculator, then how am I supposed to trust anything else?

Desk looks great, in the future I'm going to be stuck with a huge monitor because it's the only way I can get close to my current resolution, I need a notepad and pencil to jot things down and a calculator to do sums. What the computer still can do requires a metric tonne of boxes and wires to carry out functions I could do with one board a decade ago... Oh, and 16-Channel mixer required. I hate this shit, when I turned my back on the industry 10 years ago for doing retarded things I assumed it would fix itself but no, it's gotten far worse (though the hardware has improved about as well as I could hope) and it's pointless.

So far, nothing else retro today. Had the K6 running yesterday and captured video from it, I will be breaking out the Pentium OverDrive later. Both are for something I am working on,

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 1691 of 27506, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's going to be broken either way, I may as well have a speedy operating system with a halfway consistent interface as opposed to the incoherent bloated and unstable mess that is Windows 7.

I hate most operating systems past 98 to be honest, they just got progressively worse until Windows 8.

Reply 1692 of 27506, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

If it's going to be broken either way, I may as well have a speedy operating system with a halfway consistent interface as opposed to the incoherent bloated and unstable mess that is Windows 7.

I hate most operating systems past 98 to be honest, they just got progressively worse until Windows 8.

I agree that Wndows 7 is really bloated but I actually like the interface.

Aero does at least not look like a "memory game" like Modern UI.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1694 of 27506, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

I don't think 7 is bloated....then again I use a sshd and Classic with most system icons replaced by 32x32 Win2K/ME icons which might have helped a little

Not the interface but the whole system...

wznPaw.jpg

My main system is a bit more trimmed down but the Windows folder still gobbles up 20GB on my small Intel SSD.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1695 of 27506, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SSDs are for pussies 😜

WD RE in RAID, the only way to go.

I have always wondered how it is possible to actually make the operating system take up that much space.

Reply 1696 of 27506, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

Nah... 7 is better than Vista in many ways. Though I finally found my favorite version now with Windows 10. I'd try to find up-to-date software to replace at least your video editing stuff. The faster processor and multiple cores are bound to more than compensate whatever added bloat it might have when compared to the older 98-compatible versions.

HighTreason wrote:

SSDs are for pussies 😜
I have always wondered how it is possible to actually make the operating system take up that much space.

Animations, bundled software, giant driver collection (have you ever seen Vista and later ask for the DVD? I haven't), at least two copies of many system files and so on. Guess MS just couldn't be bothered trimming the system down much given how big the HDDs have gotten.

Reply 1697 of 27506, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

.NET is bloat in general, and the most .NET apps I think i'm exposed to were game launchers and simple apps which look just as possible in plain MFC...

HighTreason wrote:

SSDs are for pussies 😜

ssHd

Last edited by leileilol on 2015-08-12, 13:04. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1698 of 27506, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't really employ them in RAID, had problems with it and have heard of others in the same boat. Perhaps I have learned wrongly, but I believe there are reasons that using such drives in this manner is not a good idea. The cost is also prohibitive and the reliability is not there yet.

alexanrs wrote:
Nah... 7 is better than Vista in many ways. Though I finally found my favorite version now with Windows 10. I'd try to find up-t […]
Show full quote
HighTreason wrote:

Nah... 7 is better than Vista in many ways. Though I finally found my favorite version now with Windows 10. I'd try to find up-to-date software to replace at least your video editing stuff. The faster processor and multiple cores are bound to more than compensate whatever added bloat it might have when compared to the older 98-compatible versions.

HighTreason wrote:

SSDs are for pussies 😜

Animations, bundled software, giant driver collection (have you ever seen Vista and later ask for the DVD? I haven't), at least two copies of many system files and so on. Guess MS just couldn't be bothered trimming the system down much given how big the HDDs have gotten.

This is precisely the attitude I have a strong dislike for when employed by people that write software. Just because the system is more powerful, it doesn't mean you can be inefficient.

Vista and 7 were, at install of 7 vs Vista SP1, pretty much identical. I can barely find any difference.

Reply 1699 of 27506, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I kind of like Windows7. I think it is way better than XP, lightyears better than Vista and ME combined.
Before Win7, I think that Win98 and Win98SE is the best of all.
Speaking of "in between" 98 and 7, I dislike 2000 as much as XP. And now when there are problems
updating XP, it's only a time before the activation servers are taken offline.
Wich in return will render XP completely useless, and 2000 the last one useable of them two OS's.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011