VOGONS

Reply 2000 of 27412, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Setup an Athlon xp box running windows 2k for my best friend 😀 Abit kx7-333 with fresh primary capacitors, 1gb of DDR333, Athlon xp 2200+ and an FX5950 ultra. Just gotta get my RDRAM 423 box finished up and we are going to have a mini retro LAN party when he gets back from college!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2001 of 27412, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:
Unless they came down in price, they are the same cost or more than just obtaining another PS2. That's a good idea though and I' […]
Show full quote

Unless they came down in price, they are the same cost or more than just obtaining another PS2. That's a good idea though and I'll look into it, as silly as it sounds, I rather like my PS2 and have been reduced to using my spare which is just made of parts from other systems.

The spare is the one that won't read some discs. My best one reads no discs at all and has a few other small problems, but I would definitely like to fix it because I have had it a long time and have grown attached to it. Despite it being ugly and noisy. I have a completely dead one somewhere with perfect casing though, so if I do fix it, I guess I will give it the nicest case of the bunch. As for the spare one, I think it has a few tweaks left that can be done before the optics give up.

- I just did look into it. The price has dropped dramatically. Look out world, my stinky old PlayStation is coming back!

Back when the oldest ones were first failing in 2005-2008, I actually made a lot of money buying job lots of dead PlayStation 2 systems, tweaking their optics to make them work, then replacing the warranty label with a plain black sticker and then selling them to GameStation for anywhere between £40 and £80 depending on what else was with it. Interestingly, some of the staff were aware of my scheme and actually approved of it. I miss that store being good, they used to let me help test systems out. Quite a few college lunch breaks were spent in the store playing Streets of Rage on a random Mega Drive with the staff and customers.

Of course, that was before the optics were too far gone and all you had to do was twiddle the white whatsit in the drive or bend the arm back onto the screw. The PS2 which needs repair is from that time, it is one I actually bought back off the store after accidentally selling them my modded system only to go home and realize I now had no PS2 there. I've had a few more, but always end up fixing that one for some reason, looks like the optical failure it has had now is no exception. Might still grab a slim one though so I can play backups, some of my games are rare and I don't want them to get broken - Rule of Rose for example is banned in my country and is hard to find without burning holes in your pocket.

Depending on which version it is, the cases might not swap over. I know they changed the casing a couple of times for the fat PS2.

V9 and V10 PS2s had major problems with laser burnout. if it's a 9 or a 10, it's likely that by now the LA chip on the motherboard is also toast, and will fry any replacement laser you stick in there. Also pot tweaking tends to hasten a laser's demise.
If it's a V4 or V5, I know those sometimes threw DREs due to the disc slipping on the spindle in the drive. I have a V5 that won't play games while vertical, for example.

Since you're looking to play backups, and you have a fat PS2, have you looked into FreeHDBoot? With a network adapter and a suitable hard drive, it's possible to just boot games directly from the HDD. You can even prep the drive entirely on your PC, bypassing the chicken-and-egg problem of getting a modded memory card for Free McBoot. I doubt it has 100% compatibility, but the few games I've tried so far have worked OK. It sure beats the hell out of soldering in a Modbo 4.

Personally, I'd avoid the slims. The early ones had laser burnout problems, and the later ones had compatibility issues.

Reply 2002 of 27412, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

- I just did look into it. The price has dropped dramatically. Look out world, my stinky old PlayStation is coming back!

It's always great to be able to bring and old "companion" back to life =)

Reply 2003 of 27412, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just configured the Windows 98 installation of the K6-2 I recently moved to an ATX case to use ACPI following the steps of this page (the registry one, I did not reinstall Windows 98 just for this). I never knew that you had to manually tell Windows 98 to use it, and that it defaulted to using APM only Oo Anyway, now my Windows 98 system doesn't hang in the "shutting down Windows" screen, the power button actually asks Windows to shut down instead of suspending (I had no option to change that), and the system powers off automatically once Windows shuts down 😀

Reply 2004 of 27412, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CGS_1093.jpg

6" of custom crimped cable. Hand pinned and verified several times took four goddamn hours to do.

The other cable I had to build took six. 😐

IMG_9621.jpg
IMG_9623.jpg
IMG_9629.jpg
IMG_9644.jpg
IMG_9652.jpg

...all just so I could run a cable from a punched card reader interface to the card reader device itself.

CGS_1094.jpg

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 2005 of 27412, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CelGen wrote:

...all just so I could run a cable from a punched card reader interface to the card reader device itself.

And the award for 'Most Retro Activity 2015' goes to... 😉

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2006 of 27412, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CelGen wrote:

That's.... RETRO 😜

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2007 of 27412, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I began the first steps of building me a Win98se rig using "modern" parts.
Sempron 3300+ machine.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2008 of 27412, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I removed some more corrosion from my SuperMicro P6DNF.

Leaving stuff with NiCd batteries unattended for 10 years is a really bad idea. This board is 100% dead and beyond resque but it looks good on the wall where it has spent the last 2 years. When I discovered that the battery had started leaking 2 and a half years ago the corrosion was so bad that the big chip next to the BIOS chip only had 4 legs, 4 big green legs.

SuperMicro_P6DNF_.JPG
Filename
SuperMicro_P6DNF_.JPG
File size
4.35 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Corrosion_damage.JPG
Filename
Corrosion_damage.JPG
File size
4.35 MiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2009 of 27412, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went out thrifting a bit earlier and found an iCurve laptop stand, originally they were meant to support macbooks for some reason but I had a better use for the one I bought... I used mine for a monitor stand for my Commodore 64c! 🤣

s1950017_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9aw187.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2010 of 27412, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally got around to properly testing the Laser 128 I got several months ago at Goodwill. It works perfectly, but the joystick is a little fidgety.

IMG_20150925_225026224.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150925_225026224.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license

On a side note, I learned that my 32in HDTV does not like having any Apple II or clone connected to it, it just shows a black screen. 😵

Reply 2011 of 27412, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:
Went out thrifting a bit earlier and found an iCurve laptop stand, originally they were meant to support macbooks for some reaso […]
Show full quote

Went out thrifting a bit earlier and found an iCurve laptop stand, originally they were meant to support macbooks for some reason but I had a better use for the one I bought... I used mine for a monitor stand for my Commodore 64c! 🤣

s1950017_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9aw187.jpg

Thats a nice space saving idea. I like it.

Reply 2012 of 27412, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually it turns out putting the C64's diskette drive directly under the monitor causes it to not work properly so I've had to rearrange it a bit. 😒

s1960003_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9ays50.jpg

s1960005_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9ays4w.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2014 of 27412, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
IMAG0226.JPG
Filename
IMAG0226.JPG
File size
449.96 KiB
Views
File license

Just playing around with bootable CDs using PLOP boot manager on my 386.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2015 of 27412, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:
IMAG0226.JPG

Thank you for the invaluable tip - this, I will be using!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2016 of 27412, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Downloaded and played a bunch of random MIDIs. Leaning back in my chair and watching the SC-55 LEDs light up is really fun. 😁

MIDI files with Sound Canvas is laaaaame.

Reply 2017 of 27412, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:
IMAG0226.JPG

I have never gotten any boot managers to work with bootable CDs on my 486 box

Reply 2019 of 27412, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Given that the system I got yesterday was complete, I thought it would be amusing to replace the main computer (Core 2 Quad, LCD, Windows 7) with the one I got temporarily. I thought the Quickshot speakers and working Deskjet were a particularly nice touch. Can't wait to see the kids faces tomorrow...

rps20150927_141448.jpg

EDIT: the lava lamp did not come with the system, although it is era-correct