Have been working on the game a little more.
- GUI artwork done and working - we now have LucasArts-ish style GUI (though I made some alterations to it - HEAVY ones).
- replaced all cursors with my own custom 256 color animated ones
- a great deal of the MIDI soundtrack is completed
- a lot of scripting/logic programming is completed for the GUI and basic functionality
- started work on the player and NPC sprites
- almost all but the daytime cutscene rooms are done
- currently making puzzle maps (interviews with Ron Gilbert have been quite handy here)
- currently brainstorming on the random puzzle logic
I do need to get the character movement and interactions working properly again though. Currently the EXE works all the way through the opening custscenes up until the first playable room and then the player is stuck mid screen and unable to move or interact with any hotspots. Chances are it's a mis-step in the scripting/coding of the game somewhere that I will need to fix - which I will figure out. Also need to start on the object animations.
I'm putting the other game onto the backseat until I get all the things working in this one so I can transfer some like-code over to it (particularly the GUI and the custscenes, though the other game does not have any huge elaborate cutscenes at the start like Mr. Flowers does).
Got a lot of retro-PC activities going on these days....
- I installed that SoundBlaster Pro II into the Compaq Portable 486c, have located a replacement screen, just waiting on budget to order it
And I just did a CRAPLOAD of stuff to the Tandy 1000A
- replaced the hard disk, the old 540 failed, so I put a 8GB in there, no DDO, I'm using the VCF XT-IDE controller
- reinstalled DOS, installed Windows 1.01, 2.03, and 3.0
- I've quit using Microsoft LAN Manager 3.0 in favor of using Mike Brutman's MTCP suite, Tandy has been a good little FTP Server thus far
- switched out the LAN card, the Intel EtherExpress 16 stopped finding it's RJ45 connector, thinking it's on BNC, put a RTL 8019AS in as a replacement
- installed a boatload of games (SimCity - which runs GREAT on an 8088 surprisingly, Ultima I-VI, every SCI/AGI Sierra title I have, Silpheed, Thexder (which is becoming a new favorite), and a boatload of old CGA and Tandy/PCjr titles).
So Tandy is back in commission, next focus is getting that Compaq all setup. I want to throw one of my 20-40GB HDD in there with a DDO and set it up as a portable DOS Gaming rig (well....luggable).
I also went thrifting this past weekend and found a thrift shop that had what I presume to be a 486 laptop with sound, I'm tempted to pick it up but passed it up because the wife would probably want to kill me, that and I already like the Compaq far more as the laptop could be B&W and I prefer color.