VOGONS

Reply 2300 of 27574, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I just added the IO shield to the computer that houses the P4 S478 Williamette processor @1,7 GHz
The thing was that the board that the IO shield belonged to was very unstable and not the best ones, so I tooked out the IO shield and today I went to put on the S478 since it has the same IO layout of most DFI boards from 2000 up to 2004 (I don't know) and is like this: (From top to bottom) PS/2, Network and USB combined, Parallel, Serial, VGA or Serial #1 and Audio & Game

And later I added a fan to my MX440 video card since it had passive cooling, the fan just came out of a Socket 370 heatsink so, I used the 3 pin chassis fan connector on the board and is secured with masking tape and one screw since the fan is too big to fit on the heatsink itself

And now the not so retro I'm downloading Windows 10 on a Atom based netbook with 2GB of RAM and 250 GB HDD :3

Reply 2301 of 27574, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, well, I calmed down and went back to being pissed at moving house instead.

@Kithylin; On my list of stuff to do next year is to begin hoarding music from the 80s and 90s on CD, tape and vinyl because of the remastering BS. I have literally watched many of my favorite 80s songs briefly disappear and then reappear with the audio out of whack. Perhaps I liked the synthesizer gritty and out of tune but that isn't on the cards any more apparently. I wish to beat them to it with my favorite 90s songs though those will be the most difficult due to quite a few of them appearing to be rather obscure. Sure I can keep a copy of the currently not crappy versions that are online but I figure I may as well actually own it on the proper medium.

Luckily I have the Sanyo GXT 7000 for such things, I use it as the speakers for my PC and I also have its output feeding back to the PC so I can rip tape and vinyl records easily. I only ever retired my archive because I was like "Meh, I have the internet now." but obviously, the archive is back out now. Once again I am glad I never delete anything... Guess my poor old stereos are going to end up being overworked again, in fact I might have to call in the reinforcements; those being a DCX W18, a GF-575 and whatever else I have lying around... Probably sell the B&O deck to fund more records. The DCX was a neat acquisition because the previous owner threw it out when all it needed was cleaning - so long as idiots keep throwing good stuff away, I will keep getting things for free. Don't think I'll be using the turntable on that though, feels cheap and crappy. The GXT though, that's been in the family for longer than I've been alive.

@ratfink; Didn't Jeff Wayne effectively do both of those things recently? Not sure, I just heard something like that.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 2302 of 27574, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

Didn't Jeff Wayne effectively do both of those things recently? Not sure, I just heard something like that.

Funny you should mention ol' Jeff as I think he falls in the gaps between 'remastering' and 'reworking'. I remember a remixed version of 'War of the Worlds' appearing in the early nineties and then he turned it into a stage play which has been touring for a number of years. Bight my wife tickets to see it earlier this year as she's a lifelong fan. He's basically lived off that one album his whole life by reinventing and updating the concept in line with the times. Personally I think this is much better than pathetic remastering efforts.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2303 of 27574, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HighTreason wrote:
Smashed things (Worthless things like brown cardboard boxes) because I wanted to listen to 50s music... Most of what I found was […]
Show full quote

Smashed things (Worthless things like brown cardboard boxes) because I wanted to listen to 50s music... Most of what I found was "Digitally Remastered" bullshit. I hate that shit, it needs to be fucking outlawed. If I want to listen to music from a certain time period it is because I like what it sounded like, I don't want my 1950s songs to sound like a shitty 90s cover band (despite being the original artist).

People who do that shit seriously need to develop serious medical conditions and die slowly on a cold floor in a puddle of their own fluids. Oh, well, guess I will have to drag my own archive out complete with unbelievably crappy bit rate and the memory of when I owned it on Vinyl before dickheads stole or smashed them all.

Either that of find the ones that are not remasters and are instead just cleaned up... But that means spending hours with a cassette deck and wires I don't have because I wanted to use them for something and the aged sound is very important for that purpose.

Shit like this is why I pirate music before even thinking of actually buying it.

Edit: My archive works. Sounds better than I remember actually, guess I encoded the older songs in higher quality for whatever reason.

As someone with a probably unhealthy attraction to collecting music, I can definitely say that cuts both ways. Yeah, in some cases, you have people who go back and completely muck with the audio of their past recordings (or who have label execs quite happy to do that for them) to create a "new" experience when the old was perfectly ok. Dave Mustaine of Megadeth is probably the most notorious I can think of where he even went and re-recorded vocals and guitars for tracks where they couldn't find the original takes on tape. Add to that making everything ear-bleed levels of loud (and this is thrash metal we're talking about, so that takes WORK) and you have something with kind of an odd quirky charm, but definitely not what you'd be reaching for by default if you wanted to hear those old albums.

On the other side, there are some engineers and artists who "get it" and are just trying to give the most transparent version of the recording (or the closest to "the vinyl experience") technology is capable of. And the tech is pretty awesome at this point. I'm currently enjoying some new speakers in my main rig through which I pump my collection ripped in lossless and that's allowing me to get reacquainted with music I've been listening to for a decade plus like I'm hearing it for the first time.

There's the Pink Floyd box set (Discovery) from 2011 that's doing the same for me with their catalog. It's just leaps and bounds over the versions I previously had and I'm loving every minute. Also, any remix/remaster with Steven Wilson's name on it is worth its weight in gold. That man knows his craft.

Back on topic, it's not nearly as technically in-depth as some of the recent posts on here, but after all the drama getting my Dell Pentium system back up and running, I spent the better part of Saturday night (into Sunday morning, naturally) just ENJOYING my vintage rig and playing Star Control 2 for hours. It's probably the first time I've played that game since... Oh, maybe 2003 or so. That may even be a little optimistic and this may be one I left sitting since the '90s. Again, like getting reacquainted with an old friend.

Oh, and on the music front, let me just say I LOVE the crappy, distorted music from my Yamaha soundcard much more than the pristine, "as heard through a high grade synthesizer" GOG version of the soundtrack. I really think the imperfections make it. 😁

Reply 2304 of 27574, by AnacreonZA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh Starcon 2 - how many exams did I fail because I spent too much time playing that game. 😀

I wired one of my ATX to AT converters (bought from Amigakit) to provide -5v by adding in a 7905 regulator. Seems to work well (although I'm still not sure any of my hardware actually uses -5v) and I was running some of my retro machines off my PicoPSU for a nice silent experience there for a bit yesterday. Sadly the 4GB CF card I have stubbornly refuses to keep a partition after a reboot - not sure if it's the adapter or the card - although I suspect the card - so I had to put up with the noise of an HD spinning.

I had planned to use the Trident 8800CS card I have to provide both TTL video as well as VGA on the XT clone I've been playing with, but I'm getting flashes in Commander Keen 1/2/3 when the screen fades in and selecting the SVGA compatibility does not help. The ET4000 that came with the machine and a later Trident are both fine but they have no TTL connector. The T8800CS also reports only 256k RAM despite having two banks of 41256 chips (according to my calculation each chip is 256k bits x 8 gives you 256k bytes so it should have 512k VRAM in total). If I remove the second bank of chips the card still reports 256k VRAM - so something is probably wonky either with the chips or the switches on the card. The XT motherboard has slots for the same DRAM chips so maybe I should test them by using them in the XT.

I did manage to transfer a lot of gaming goodness over my trusty LPT cable via File Maven 3 to the MFM drive - and I was surprised just how well the old 12MHz XT plays some less demanding VGA games like SQ4 and Keen 4. Definitely noticeably laggy graphics but still reasonably playable. The XT's LPT port does not work properly (at least FIle Maven wouldn't transfer over it) so I had to boot the drive on my 286 board and put it back into the XT after the transfer was complete. Upgraded it to DOS5 at the same time.

Still getting occasional disk errors on the MFM drive after a high-level format so I'm thinking low-level formatting it is probably the next step - but I think I'll only do that once I can set the machine up in another room - I remember my father low-level formatting an MFM drive back in the 80s once and it took over a day. I don't want that noisy drive keeping me awake while it formats.

Reply 2305 of 27574, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I put up some retro themed wallpapers here: Topic 45549 and played around with my nforce 780i board, two 7950GT cards and some LGA775 CPUs - Pentium D 945, Pentium Dual Core E6600 and a Core 2 Quad Q6600.

Reply 2306 of 27574, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AnacreonZA wrote:

Oh Starcon 2 - how many exams did I fail because I spent too much time playing that game. 😀

There are far worse games to lose that kind of time to. I do remember the printed star chart making it a hell of a lot easier to play though, so it's a little weird now to not have it.

Reply 2307 of 27574, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Made a stand for the TV I'm using with my C64 out of some scrap wood, this way it's pointed right at eye level (which makes no difference picture wise but it makes me happy just the same. 🤣 ).

s2170009_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9g9rwr.jpg

s2170010_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9g9rwn.jpg

s2170007_v02_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9g9d2c.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2309 of 27574, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! 😁 I was also thinking about painting the printer to match and same with the mouse I have coming in the mail but I'm still not sure. 🤣

If you want to see it in action here's a vid I did when I painted it and after it was done showing it off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I_whPjUq0Y

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2311 of 27574, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just testing some stuff out on my 486 test rig. Hooked up an old drive that was originally in a DecPC and having look at what was on it:

dh.JPG
Filename
dh.JPG
File size
611.86 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Nothing like going naked is there....

Tested out a couple of cpus ranging from Dx33 thru to a Kingston Am5x86 which reports as a 32Mhz clock speed.
The mobo is a MS4131 Rev 2.2 vlb which was under utilized in a slimline Ollivetti case using an ISA riser, with no L2 cache and originally sported a 486SX25 cpu. The nice thing is it takes 30 pin and 72 pin simms. This is handy for testing purposes. Currently it's sporting an Intel DX2/66 cpu. The video card it an ISA CL thing, with generic multi i/o card, as I find them less clumbersome than keeping vlb cards in it. As I mentioned initially it's only a hardware testing rig that usually sits on top of other goodies for easy access.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2015-11-14, 15:39. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2313 of 27574, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday... I did alot of testing new buys with mixed results.

Tomorrow... I look to replace some motherboard RTC's!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 2314 of 27574, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

What game is that? Looks interesting.

Yes, I would like to know too please 😁

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 2316 of 27574, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

What game is that? Looks interesting.

Yes, I would like to know too please 😁

I think it's Die Hard. Never played it but looks cool from the screenshots.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 2317 of 27574, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is Die Hard which came out around 1989ish There were a few other games of the late 80s early 90s period on it as well such as Ghost Busters, F15 etc. The drive itself is around 160megs Maxtor and has Windows 3.1 that looks like it was the original install when the DecPCvp+SX25 was sold. Being a Maxtor it's surprising it has lasted this long. All my others I've had have died shortly after power up after being idol for over a decade or two.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2318 of 27574, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Used Haiku OS on my Pentium M laptop. It is a 1.7GHz Pentium M laptop with 256 MB of DDR RAM. Feels surprisingly snappy and responsive. Too bad that OS will probably never become relevant (or finished) as I find it much more elegant than Linux.

Last edited by alexanrs on 2015-11-15, 11:33. Edited 1 time in total.