VOGONS

Reply 2340 of 27549, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oerk wrote:

I recently got 66,-€ for a Batman with CPU, they sell quite well.

It worked perfectly aside from the dead RTC, I just found it very bland and boring.

Yeah, they aren't easy to find now so I'm near enough guaranteed to be able to shift it. Though it isn't unlikely that it will be traded instead. I actually find the Batman interesting because of how batshit insane it behaves, even with a non FDIV bugged CPU it is prone to randomly going nuts to a point where it can't even do things wrong in a consistent manner. The novelty wears off quickly though because I like to legitimately put my systems to use which is hard when the system throws random "DIVIDE BY ZERO" errors at you because you decided to enter commands on the DOS prompt.

brostenen wrote:

That would never ever be alowed in Denmark. Formaldehyde can if the dose are too high, potentially result in cancer. Mice and rats that have inhaled a high dosage, in form of formaldehyde gas. Did all devellop cancer. By danish law, a home are only allowed to be rented out if it is in live-able condition.
There are only two sollutions to this. Eighter the owner of the house have to find something that are equally as expensive. Or the owner relocates the ones who rented it untill it s all fixed to live-able standards. All expenses for the moving, are placed onto the owner who rents out the apartment or home.

I don't think it's really allowed in the UK either, but nobody really seems to give a damn. When I moved in here the place was fine, in fact it was perfect, but they insisted on wrecking everything decent. I have had no hot water since 2009 thanks to their incompetent gas men leaving me with six leaks too many, ruining my original varnished floor and keeping a set of my keys.

I actually get disturbance money because I am being forced to move for "regeneration" (Read; the construction of very small, very crappy houses) but I don't get the money until I have already moved. The house is smaller than this one. Given that i have trouble actually fitting in this house, that will make it impossible to do any work past that point because there won't be space to do so. The vast majority of that money will be spent on removing the shitty insulation (Unless I can get them to do it on warranty, given my sensitivity to the material and the dust/gasses it produces - they don't give a damn about the damp) and the rest is likely to go on other required bodges. I expect replacing wires is going to get expensive, especially as I am lacking on tools. Removing the broken central heating will suck ass too, made worse by the apparent lack of any drain valve. In my state I shouldn't really be doing physical stuff like this, I'm four stone underweight, can hardly eat more than complan and have yet to find out why my legs went black and prevented me walking, they still hurt.

Interestingly, the council will pay to fit the carpet or laminate (but not for the carpet or laminate itself) - but I hate carpets and I despise laminate.

I will be documenting the move on video anyway, so as of tomorrow, anyone interested can catch up on that by seeing what I upload.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 2341 of 27549, by Oldbitcollector

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Torn down over 50 machines for computer recycling today. I don't have much love for XP boxes, so I don't feel too bad tearing down that crap.

The nice part is that I was able to "save" a socket 370 e139761 motherboard (Hopefully I can put my 1gz PIII in it) and a Diamond Micronics C300 motherboard with a Celeron CPU in it. (I'm betting that it is no more than 300+ mhz). The Micronics C300 is a decent board, but is limited to 66mhz clock speeds with a max of 7x multiplier. Might make a fun little dos box.

I also managed to score a couple more ZIP100 IDE drives. I love to put them in almost build. It's sort of a personal trademark. 😉

Reply 2343 of 27549, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
saturn wrote:

I put labels on 100 floppy disks I kid you not. They almost never come with the labels on or the right size 😵

what would you need 100 floppies for???

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2345 of 27549, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gonna need 300 floppies for that. Some floppies will fail. That's also usually the chunk that fails twice.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2347 of 27549, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just repaired an Asus P5K64WS LGA775/Intel P35/DDR3 mainboard. I was gathering dead stuff to give to a friend who runs a recycling center, and almost added this one when I tough I should give it another once-over. So I slapped it on my test bench and tried to power it on - nothing. LED on the board would light up, but ti would not power on unless I disconnected the 12V CPU power supply.

I took off the heatsinks on the NB and mosfets, and tested all the mosfets with a continuity meter by trying to open / close the gates and noticed one was shorting between all pins. I proceeded to remove it from the board, but it was so badly damaged it actually came off in pieces... It's a NIKO-SEM P0903BDG VNP12038. I replaced it with a similar one also marked NIKO-SEM P0903BDG GNP13438 from a newer dead AM2+ motherboard, and the P5K fired right up.

Thing is, the board shows an incorrect VID of 0.1V. Inividual cores run at 1.35v (using a Core 2 Duo E6550 to test) and the machine is stable in benchmarks. Should I be worried?

UPDATE - just ran a bunch of 3dmark01 and 03 runs with a geforce 6600 - all runs completed w/o issues. CPU temp and VID voltages are normal, but it still reports VCORE at 0.1 volts...

wa49D2xl.jpg

8TPWGTEl.jpg

Last edited by kanecvr on 2015-11-19, 14:26. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 2348 of 27549, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:
saturn wrote:

I put labels on 100 floppy disks I kid you not. They almost never come with the labels on or the right size 😵

what would you need 100 floppies for???

Well I don't I could just buy a flash drive. But I always lose those and the clear lockbox it came in looks cool on the desk next to the old computer the uses them. That aside I'll probably use them to backup save/config files and all the apps I use on my PC.

kanecvr wrote:

Thing is, the board shows an incorrect VID of 0.1V. Inividual cores run at 1.35v (using a Core 2 Duo E6550 to test) and the machine is stable in benchmarks. Should I be worried?

depends, what are you using the read the VID. Also it would have been a grate time to upgrade the mosfets.But not everyone like to overclock CPUs like I did.

Reply 2350 of 27549, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

I read the voltages from BIOS and HWinfo. I can't find the actual test points for VCORE and VID on this board...

It could just be a bad software reading, I seen it a lot with 775 systems.
Heck the 775 system I'm on right now has bad readings.

Reply 2351 of 27549, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested the last "new" to me socket 7 CPU I have received in my DFi board, another Winchip C6 200mhz,all works fine, also tried out my recently purchased ISA PINE Western Digital Paradise WD 90c30 512k VGA card(1991) in the same system and posted results on Phil's ultimate VGA Benchmark https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lvF9n … wpNU/edit#gid=0, Also found the right Windows 3.11 drivers for the card, so that is how the system will stay for a bit. Bit of oddity but thats OK, after all it works fine.
Setup a ancient Conner CP 3501 from 1991 with my IBM 386 SX25, intalled DOS 6.2, a load of games and had some fun playing, it does very well with the old CHAMP games I reallt love.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 2352 of 27549, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alexanrs wrote:

Creating an ARJ muli-volume backup of a 200MB folder? xD

gdjacobs wrote:

Gonna need 300 floppies for that. Some floppies will fail. That's also usually the chunk that fails twice.

leileilol wrote:

You don't need that many. One time I used one floppy to copy an entire Win98SE setup folder to a laptop.

kirk-facepalm.jpg

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2353 of 27549, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
Just repaired an Asus P5K64WS LGA775/Intel P35/DDR3 mainboard. I was gathering dead stuff to give to a friend who runs a recycli […]
Show full quote

Just repaired an Asus P5K64WS LGA775/Intel P35/DDR3 mainboard. I was gathering dead stuff to give to a friend who runs a recycling center, and almost added this one when I tough I should give it another once-over. So I slapped it on my test bench and tried to power it on - nothing. LED on the board would light up, but ti would not power on unless I disconnected the 12V CPU power supply.

I took off the heatsinks on the NB and mosfets, and tested all the mosfets with a continuity meter by trying to open / close the gates and noticed one was shorting between all pins. I proceeded to remove it from the board, but it was so badly damaged it actually came off in pieces... It's a NIKO-SEM P0903BDG VNP12038. I replaced it with a similar one also marked NIKO-SEM P0903BDG GNP13438 from a newer dead AM2+ motherboard, and the P5K fired right up.

UPDATE - just ran a bunch of 3dmark01 and 03 runs with a geforce 6600 - all runs completed w/o issues. CPU temp and VID voltages are normal, but it still reports VCORE at 0.1 volts...

<snip>

I hope you don't really smoke sitting in front of your computers... that really, legitimately does kill components over time, ya know.

Reply 2354 of 27549, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do, but I believe the only thing smoking has a strong chance of killing is me. I actually never had a PC randomly fail on me. Ever. This board was a working board I used back in 2008? and sold when I got my first Nehalem Build (i7 920, Asus P6T Deluxe, 6GB Corsair XMS3 Platinum series, 2xRadeon HD 4850). The buyer contacted me the next day claiming the board is dead but the CPU (A Q9550) was working. I was sure he killed it somehow - considering the blown mosfet, I'm sure he killed it by trying some silly OC. I offered half a refund and he returned the board. It's been sitting in my parent's attic in a box labeled "dead parts" since then.

Reply 2355 of 27549, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So adding the 122 key keyboard to my XT came with some...surprises.

The base kit consists of the keyboard, a Y-cable, a card to convert the keyboard to XT signalling, two boards that make up the underwhelming CGA card and a 3270 host card. Putting the lot into an XT with a hard drive and floppy drive turns the IBM 5160 into the IBM 5271 "3270 PC", but only leaves you with two ISA slots open though. 😒

CGS_1172.jpg
CGS_1173.jpg

Because there did exist 3270 terminal emulation under DOS using a regular network card and most later video cards had the special character sets in ROM I don't really need all those extra cards. Just the keyboard controller. The downside is that the BIOS ROM on controller looks for the host interface at boot and if it can't find it it will give an 8201 error. Adding to that if you remove the ROM the controller doesn't work entirely because the chip also holds its microcode

CGS_1175.jpg
CGS_1178.jpg

Other than that though the keyboard works fine. The machine interprets all the scancodes but only works with the known keys form the 101 key keyboard. You can however use the extra keys with a remapping utility and the scancodes are well documented.

Kbd-Scancode.png

Now I just gotta go out and buy the 5153 someone has been offering me for the last six months. 😀

CGS_1177.jpg

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 2356 of 27549, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dealt with more crappy council workmanship. I am doing all I can to get out of this tenancy, I refuse to pay rent (excessive rent, given it costs more) for a place where I can't live.

Here's a small example of the crap I have been landed with;

vlcsnap-2015-11-19-18h30m03s900.jpg
Filename
vlcsnap-2015-11-19-18h30m03s900.jpg
File size
248.87 KiB
Views
File comment
Shit lead work on horrible council house.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The whole building is a write-off and I have reason to believe the structure is not sound. The whole terrace should be condemned.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 2358 of 27549, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:

I hope you don't really smoke sitting in front of your computers... that really, legitimately does kill components over time, ya know.

I smoke too, yet outside these day's. Until 2003 and again between 2010 and 2013 i smoked inside.
I took up retro computing in 2014, so yeah... Anyway.

I have never had anything spontanious dying from smoking. Shure I had some shortening of circuits.
I had this CT-2760, bought online, wich died spontaniously within 2 weeks.
Though it was from a non-smoker home, it was perhaps just too old. Not cigarettes by any chance.

I think it is a myth being exaggerated. Shure it can kill, if you exhale 60 cigarettes a day straight into
a computer. Though it is more likely that laser-pickups need to be cleaned first before everything dies.
Static electricity, bad caps, exploding PSU's, bad ventilation and moist air. I thnk those are killing
more computer equipment than cigarette/pipe/cigar smoke.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2359 of 27549, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Think I found the latest card that my VFX1's VIP card would work with.

It ran fine on an 8mb All in Wonder Pro with the Rage Pro Turbo AGP chipset but when I went the step higher using the 16mb Rage Fury 128 it wouldn't work. 🙁
In comparison the original was another Rage Pro Turbo chipset card but upgraded to 8mb and no other video I/O. Looks like I'm just going to have to expand out instead of upwards.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif