VOGONS

Reply 2400 of 27363, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got started on putting together a server. Lost all of the drive bay rails for my main pc case and just got given a bunch of good 250-320gb sata hard drives for free. Thinking 3 250's and a 320gb, maybe throw a 400gb and a 200gb IDE drive in there as well. Should be more than enough storage seeing as how I am currently happy with nothing but a single 250gb SSD.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2401 of 27363, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going to start work on a new song. Had two ideas rattling around for a while and have decided what to do. I'd like to use all synths in this one if possible, quite an undertaking I am certain but I may as well try.

That means I will be playing with the following today;
Windows 98 SE
Cakewalk Pro Audio 9
Sound Forge 4.0
Casio RZ-1
Casio CZ-5000
Casio CZ-1000
Yamaha MU90R
Korg 01R/W
Maybe try some of the sounds on the YM3812, haven't used that in anything for years.

Whatever happens, I think this track will wind up being primarily for the Korg and Casio gear.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 2402 of 27363, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Organized my computer storage room a bit and began to set up a small LAN for retro gaming with friends and family. 😁

1_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9jdv7t.jpg

4_by_mad_king_corduroy-d9jdv72.jpg
Another shot of the LAN to be. 😜

There are more computers stored on a shelf on the opposite wall but the wall was a little grimy so I figured I'd hold off and snapping pics of that. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2403 of 27363, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

a little self-promotey, but I started writing about retro workarounds for my game - a thing I haven't even thought about for months, and there's obvious gaps (i haven't looked into NT4/5 or 95 solutions yet). especially with where i'm experimenting with effects, i'm afraid what torture this would bring to a Rage Pro. 😖

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2404 of 27363, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Organized my computer storage room a bit and began to set up a small LAN for retro gaming with friends and family. 😁

There are more computers stored on a shelf on the opposite wall but the wall was a little grimy so I figured I'd hold off and snapping pics of that. 🤣

Oh my. That is beautiful. Reminds of this cozy little computer shop/Internet "cafe" I used to buy software from back in the 90s. 😁

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 2405 of 27363, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

Oh my. That is beautiful. Reminds of this cozy little computer shop/Internet "cafe" I used to buy software from back in the 90s. 😁

Thanks, I just finished (2am) getting the PCI ethernet cards installed and the computers all functional. Turns out I had forgot to reinstall Windows 98 on the Compaq and the Dell had a bad video card and RAM. 🤣

Hopefully tomorrow I will have the hub set up and have them filesharing pretty quickly. 😁

Reply 2407 of 27363, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Working on a web application to store my various benchmarks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6c4y85zPX4

Lots of work to go 😀

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 2408 of 27363, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mwdmeyer wrote:

Working on a web application to store my various benchmarks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6c4y85zPX4

Lots of work to go 😀

Taking inspiration from the old OCAU PCDB? 😁

Reply 2409 of 27363, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep 😀 But I want to track benchmarks and graph them nicely too. Mmmm I wonder if my computers are still on PCDB....

EDIT: Oh it is gone 🙁

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 2410 of 27363, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrofanatic wrote:

Very nice king corduroy. ..i like the setup...what games are you thinking of running on the LAN?

Mainly Warcraft II and Starcraft but also Blood, Heretic, Hexen, ROTT, Doom, Duke3d, Earth 2140, and basically anything else that can run on a Super Socket 7 machine (since that is the lowest denominator of the bunch). My father also has a hard time typing so I'm going to pop Typing Tutor 7 and Mavis Beacon on them so he can try them and see if that helps. Personally I used TT7 and it really helps if you follow what they say, I used to be a hunt and peck typist and now I am almost touch typing. 😁

Reply 2411 of 27363, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Went through my GOG catalog and decided to play The Longest Journey. Since it is a 1999 game I thought about running it in my Duron 950.... but reading through the manual it seems the recommended system requirements call for a Pentium II 266MHz and a 4MB DirectX video card... now I wonder if I shouldn't just run it on my K6-2 500 and call it a day.

Reply 2413 of 27363, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went through my 'games' folder on the server and put them in folders according to which year they were published. I could have categorised them by system but I would find that too restrictive. For example, I'm looking forward to playing F117a on my 486. If I were to categorise by system, this would be excluded from 486 territory and would be firmly in the 386 era.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2414 of 27363, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Went through my GOG catalog and decided to play The Longest Journey. Since it is a 1999 game I thought about running it in my Duron 950.... but reading through the manual it seems the recommended system requirements call for a Pentium II 266MHz and a 4MB DirectX video card... now I wonder if I shouldn't just run it on my K6-2 500 and call it a day.

Depends more on the video card - it's much nicer with anti-aliasing. The 3D models against the 2D background look way better with AA.

Reply 2415 of 27363, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oerk wrote:
alexanrs wrote:

Depends more on the video card - it's much nicer with anti-aliasing. The 3D models against the 2D background look way better with AA.

I think I'll go with the Duron... the GeForce in there can do 32-bit and AA. I don't think the Voodoo3 in the K6-2 would be able to match the image quality here.

Reply 2416 of 27363, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After having 5 or 6 pc builds part way done and on hiatus I finally sat down and figured out the exact hardware configurations/OS I wanted for each system and got the parts together for each one. Feels pretty good!

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2417 of 27363, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote:

After having 5 or 6 pc builds part way done and on hiatus I finally sat down and figured out the exact hardware configurations/OS I wanted for each system and got the parts together for each one. Feels pretty good!

Sounds like quite a big job, well done.

PeterLI wrote:

LAN is fun! 😀

I setup my minimal Roland configuration today. Only GM and LA: no GS. 😀

Nice, simplicity is often underrated.

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2015-12-09, 11:58. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2418 of 27363, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks! I have a bad habit of getting distracted and never finishing these projects.

Reply 2419 of 27363, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

I have to say, as soon as games support DirectX, I mostly don't see the point of going retro. Run it on the latest, fastest system, as it will normally still work and probably support higher resolutions to boot.

Admittedly, it might be wise to run it under a copy of XP, for the EAX games where Alchemy doesn't work. Then there's a few games that are sub-par on later drivers (looking at you, Infinity Engine games that need a patch to work on modern graphics cards), but when the game is indistinguishable from the original, I'm less fussed about maintaining a retro PC (I don't think I can tell when Commander Keen is emulated now, for instance).