VOGONS

Reply 2820 of 27334, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally managed to get this Intel i440LX board to boot DOS!!!

Getting the board to post was no issues but I have never ever in my life experienced such a picky motherboard.

The memory needs to be just right!
This is not the floppy drive you are seeking!
No not that that tested fully working HDD of a supported size!
Boot from CD might exist as a BIOS option but dont expect it to work!
I will work in slow motion until I finally lock up if you disable the parallel and serial ports!

And so on and on and on and...

Im very confident this board still has the BIOS it was sold with! 😜

edit fixed typos

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-01-31, 19:28. Edited 2 times in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2821 of 27334, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
I finally managed to get this Intel i430LX board to boot DOS!!! […]
Show full quote

I finally managed to get this Intel i430LX board to boot DOS!!!

Getting the board to post was no issues but I have never ever in my life experienced such a picky motherboard.

No that that tested fully working HDD of a supported size!
I will work in slow motion until I finally lock up if you disable the parallel and serial ports!

Sounds easy to me. You should work on an IBM, it will change your life if it doesn't kill you.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2822 of 27334, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Sounds easy to me. You should work on an IBM, it will change your life if it doesn't kill you.

Another nice feature is that there isnt any mutiplier selection on the board or in the BIOS and because my unlocked Klamath P2 300 is a late stepping the motherboard dosnt know its a P2 300 and runs it 266 MHz.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 2823 of 27334, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got the Katmai running today. Nothing was wrong with the hard drive, it was that the CD drive wasn't getting enough power -- moving the fan over to the other rail has everything working fine again. Of course, it could also be that I reseated all the RAM, cards and CPU. It now runs a fresh copy of Windows 2000 SP4, I have no boot disks for installing 98/Me otherwise it'd be running one of those. Was just going to skip taking pictures -- it wouldn't be mine anymore after today, so why bother? Now I have no excuse, I'll get to it when I get to it.

The potential customer for the machine backed out of the deal at the last minute so now I have a copy of Windows that isn't registered to me installed. Thank you for wasting my entire afternoon! This was after I told them the price: $75 including a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I thought I was doing them a favor considering I checked the prices on eBay for extremely similar models (as there were no examples of my exact machine to compare against) and for an original machine they want anywhere from 80 to 150 dollars just for the tower. The best part is that I was upfront about the price, I told them before I did anything to the thing!

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 2824 of 27334, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Memtesting today (and tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow, and so on) around sixty pc100/133 modules on my old Compaq Deskpro EN. I'm discarding faulty ones. Then when I finish this, I'll see if I have enough modules to sell and still keep a good quantity for me, or if I don't sell anything. In fact, I have to test every piece of hardware I have and do the same. But it's really a lot and I don't have enough time to do it quickly.

Reply 2826 of 27334, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Spend basically the entire evening up until now fiddling around in the files of Imperialism II with a couple hex editors and after a couple hours and trying to find anything related to Imp II (that mapeditor seems to not have any download links left and I'm not touching any websites with strange urls 🤣) I finally figured out how to view the europe map in the hexeditor and change stuff around...too bad for some reasons my changes weren't showing up (I messed with that for over an hour, but enough for today) but at least I managed to do a quick money cheat with one of the save files 😁

And yes I know theres trainers and whatsnot around for that, but wheres the fun with those? 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2827 of 27334, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Worked on the MAME Relicensing project. Tracking down developers across the years.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2828 of 27334, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:
I finally managed to get this Intel i440LX board to boot DOS!!! […]
Show full quote

edit fixed typos

This is actually a little bit odd to me. I don't doubt your skills btw, just comparing to my own LX build which went kinda seamless (though it was one of the later LX boards, it already featured s370). But then again, I have a couple "rules" I use to prevent unexpected mishaps like the one you described when you tried to disable your parallel and serial ports.
I'll usually not disable anything unless I have to (like disabling onboard sound when I intent to use a dedicated sound card) and I always try to cherrypick the RAM in a way that all chips on all modules are the same density (possibly even the same brand, if I have any spares), a bit overspecced if I have plenty spares (like running PC-100 cl2 at 66MHz) and as few chips on the RAM in total as possible. It may be unnecessary, but in the past many boards have given me trouble when I simply threw in some modules of whatever size.

I do hope your LX build works out for you, LX is a good contender for underclocking (better chance at 50MHz FSB than BX, just to name something)

If you want a picky motherboard which is not total crap, try a ASUS A7V133 (with rev without a dot) with a Palomino and 3 DIMMs 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2829 of 27334, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
This is actually a little bit odd to me. I don't doubt your skills btw, just comparing to my own LX build which went kinda seaml […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:
I finally managed to get this Intel i440LX board to boot DOS!!! […]
Show full quote

edit fixed typos

This is actually a little bit odd to me. I don't doubt your skills btw, just comparing to my own LX build which went kinda seamless (though it was one of the later LX boards, it already featured s370). But then again, I have a couple "rules" I use to prevent unexpected mishaps like the one you described when you tried to disable your parallel and serial ports.
I'll usually not disable anything unless I have to (like disabling onboard sound when I intent to use a dedicated sound card) and I always try to cherrypick the RAM in a way that all chips on all modules are the same density (possibly even the same brand, if I have any spares), a bit overspecced if I have plenty spares (like running PC-100 cl2 at 66MHz) and as few chips on the RAM in total as possible. It may be unnecessary, but in the past many boards have given me trouble when I simply threw in some modules of whatever size.

I do hope your LX build works out for you, LX is a good contender for underclocking (better chance at 50MHz FSB than BX, just to name something)

If you want a picky motherboard which is not total crap, try a ASUS A7V133 (with rev without a dot) with a Palomino and 3 DIMMs 😁

Im only messing around with the Intel i440LX motherboard, I see no real reason to replace my M577 MVP3 SS7 system as my main DOS system. 😀

My Intel board still had a BIOS from the time around the i440LX platforms release which I think caused most of the issues.

When it comes to my own systems I always disable everything in the BIOS I know I am never going to use before I install anything to get the hardware config with all resources as I want it from the start, this normally works just fine!

Both the memory of choice and the HDD caused issues. I diddnt choose the memory to be as compatible as possible, I wanted to use the same module I used with the M729 and M577 and I wanted to use a Fujitsu 4.3 GB HDD. The motherboard would seem to detect the HDD correctly but only in the BIOS and it would not even post with the double sided 256MB module. Another much stanger issue was that I had to try 4 floppy drives before I found one that worked correctly, the others would seem to work and read from the floppys... forever and ever. I thought that perhaps the PSU was too weak as the system would not boot from either CD or floppy (it did try) but that was not the case.

As I said I have never tinkered with such a picky board before and I have probably built 1000+ systems. If it wasnt for the fact that its an Intel board I would have thought every single cap on the board were bad but now Im sticking with the old BIOS hypotesis.

I have updated the board with the latest BIOS so with luck it should be smooth sailing from here on but I wont know for sure for a couple of hours as I went to bed after flashing the new BIOS.

Reply 2830 of 27334, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

The PS/2 is probably one of the most pickiest systems i've worked on... it definitely tests your patience!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 2831 of 27334, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not really retro, but rather very geeky.
Last week I attended and directed a motion capture shoot in Los Angeles. It was such a great and intense experience... can't wait to do it again.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 2832 of 27334, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Farted around with a crappy P4 board and at last found 2 sets of identical ram to put in it so that it would run the memory at the proper speed and in dual channel. Settled on one set of Kingston DDR400 cl3 and a set of "Kingston" (looks to be Chinese knock off's) DDR400 cl3. All 512's for a total of 2gb. Now off to give it away for free!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2833 of 27334, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I installed Windows 98 SE on my Intel AL440LX Slot-1 test system.

The latest BIOS seems to have fixed most of the issues I had with this board. The 256MB memory module now works fine. Disabling ports and stuff now disables ports and stuff but still lets the system boot. Booting from CD works. The system still dosnt like the Fujitsu HDD I wanted to use and this unlocked PII 300 still runs at 266 MHz but this is just minor issues as the board now can handle large (8.4GB+) HDDs and I have plenty of Slot-1 CPUs.

Reply 2834 of 27334, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Designed and made a simple and small open-case with built-in floppy drive, cd-rom, 2,5 inch drive and 12 volt power supply, so mainboards can be switched quickly. Used 20x30 HIPS polistyrene sheet and glued some 3d printed parts to it. And M3 screws, so that's basically only 3 parts besides electronics :p I need to attach some rubber stands to it and make a panel with power switch and LEDs.

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
227.2 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
324.22 KiB
Views
File license

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    Filename
    5.jpg
    File size
    154.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 4.jpg
    Filename
    4.jpg
    File size
    166.28 KiB
    Views
    File license

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 2835 of 27334, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
adalbert wrote:

Designed and made a simple and small open-case with built-in floppy drive, cd-rom, 2,5 inch drive and 12 volt power supply, so mainboards can be switched quickly. Used 20x30 HIPS polistyrene sheet and glued some 3d printed parts to it. And M3 screws, so that's basically only 3 parts besides electronics :p I need to attach some rubber stands to it and make a panel with power switch and LEDs.

Nice!! I like it. Looks tidy to perform hardware tests without all the material all around the table 🤣

Reply 2836 of 27334, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Setting up and re-configuring the water cooling system in my 775 computer to do a "battle royale".

Windows XP SP-0 performance with AMD Vs Intel.

I may make a thread on it on here and post relevant information there.

AMD Side: AthlonXP 3200+ Barton @ 2.5 ghz, with dual channel ddr-475, geforce 6800 ultra AGP

Intel side: 775 2MB Pescott @ dunno mhz, haven't put it together and clocked it yet, I think this chip's done 3.7 ghz stable before under water.

Start out intel side at GT-240 and later step it up to water cooled (and seriously overclocked) GTX-470 for later. And getting a cedar mill chip for it later this week and aim for the 'above 4ghz' range on water.

And we'll see what high end cedar mill P4 can do with a fast video card and 4ghz.

Reply 2837 of 27334, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:

AMD Side: AthlonXP 3200+ Barton @ 2.5 ghz, with dual channel ddr-475, geforce 6800 ultra AGP
Intel side: 775 2MB Pescott @ dunno mhz, haven't put it together and clocked it yet, I think this chip's done 3.7 ghz stable before under water.

That doesn't at all look fair on the AMD side, for a more fair comparison you should probably use one of the S754 Athlon 64 single cores. Perhaps an Athlon FX?

3DMark '00 gives the Katmai some 1800 3DMarks, seems a bit low until I remember it's running a PCI Radeon 7000 and a 500MHz Katmai. This is using the default benchmarking settings, 1024x768x16-bit, don't remember the rest. Will post screenshots next time I go downstairs.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 2838 of 27334, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sedrosken wrote:
kithylin wrote:

That doesn't at all look fair on the AMD side, for a more fair comparison you should probably use one of the S754 Athlon 64 single cores. Perhaps an Athlon FX?

3DMark '00 gives the Katmai some 1800 3DMarks, seems a bit low until I remember it's running a PCI Radeon 7000 and a 500MHz Katmai. This is using the default benchmarking settings, 1024x768x16-bit, don't remember the rest. Will post screenshots next time I go downstairs.

These are just all the chips I own at the moment, so trying to play around with em.

Reply 2839 of 27334, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I solved the issue with all PII CPUs running at 266 MHz on my Intel AL440LX. The motherboard locks the multiplier and the only way to change it is by using the clear BIOS settings jumper. I tried to clear the BIOS multiplier setting by just moving the jumper with the system turned off and when this diddnt work I tried removing the battery and shorting the terminals. If I had RTFM I would have known that I needed to make the system POST and enter the BIOS setup with the BIOS jumper in clear position to allow for the muliplier to be changed.

When you do this you can set the muliplier to what ever speed you want as long as the CPU supports that multiplier as you would expect. The maximum multiplier is 7x so the maximum speed you can choose is 7x66 = 466 MHz but as the PPGA Celerons are fully multiplier locked the 500 and 533 MHz versions probably also work.