VOGONS

Reply 3820 of 27502, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AnacreonZA wrote:

Another good YT suggestion: GadgetUK164. He gets deep into actual physical hardware repairs and you've got to love that northerner (I think?) accent.

His a good guy 😀

So hows Gauteng?

Reply 3821 of 27502, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GP! I lived in Sunninghill, Randburg and Northcliff back in the day. 😀

WC / Bloubergstrand were a lot better though IMO. And I actually liked staying in FS / Bloemfontein. 🤣 AF is 'n interessante taal vir mense uit NL.

Reply 3823 of 27502, by AnacreonZA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As ek mooi lees kan ek Nederlands ook verstaan!

Ek vind dit eintlik makliker om te verstaan as ek dit lees. Dit klink baie anders as 'n mens na Nederlands luister.

Gauteng is nog nie bitterkoud nie maar ons het een of twee nagte gehaad waar die temperatuur negatief was. Die heelergste is nog oppad dink ek.

Reply 3824 of 27502, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@HighTreason

I haven't been here that long, but there are times I feel ignored as well. Keep some things in mind:
-most people here have lives outside of Vogons, so the odds are great they will at some point miss some posts. I get the feeling there is a lot of history behind your words that I simply know nothing about since I've only been on here less than six months.
-we all have different personalities. I'm a big dork and very aware of my quirks. Oftentimes I will read back something I posted and think "What a dork." Point being, it's human nature to be drawn by certain personalities and repelled by others. It's why people in the real world are either friends or not. I don't have many close friends outside of my wife and a small circle of close male friends. One, I'm an introvert and two, I'm a dork. So I get it and accept it. 😀
-if you have an issue with Phil, why don't you PM him and settle it in private? If he chooses not to, then that is his choice. Like he said, keep doing your thing, and let him do his thing in peace.

I like brostenen's line of thinking. Would be nice to share a beer or two face to face and get these issues behind us once and for all.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3825 of 27502, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really like Phills videos and i'm his subscriber, as i am Hightreason subscriber as i would be a subscriber to anyone doing a good job about retro computer things. This rage thing needs to drop down a notch or two, it's totally uncalled for!

Keep on the good work!

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 3826 of 27502, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's really good to see more south African and people who use to stay here on Vogons 😀

Cyrix200+ wrote:

Dat kan je wel zeggen!

PeterLI wrote:

AF is 'n interessante taal vir mense uit NL.

Ja , gelukkig kan ons mekaar so bietjie verstaan 😀

Reply 3827 of 27502, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Worked on my Dream 486 rebuild some more, including installing a port bracket with 25-pin serial and game ports (Which actually came from the original childhood 486 system I am recreating!) and installing some software I recall being on the system within the first year of receiving it (Works Bookshelf 95, Journeyman Project Turbo, Netscape Navigator Gold 3.0). Now I just need to look for a copy of Encarta 95 and AOL 3.0 and I think it'll be done software-wise.

Reply 3828 of 27502, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still don't understand the beef between Phil and HighTreason. Regardless, I just thought I'd say that I'm subscribed to both of them on youtube and I've thoroughly enjoyed the majority of both their videos and both of their comments on this board have been helpful to a lot of people.

I hope you can get past your differences as either one of your disappearing from these forums would be a loss to the community.

Reply 3829 of 27502, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:
You turned my back on me, I asked for an explanation and you ignored me... You flat out snubbed me, no explanation and no acknow […]
Show full quote

You turned my back on me, I asked for an explanation and you ignored me... You flat out snubbed me, no explanation and no acknowledgement no matter how I tried.

Perhaps I over-reacted, I can only remain civil about it for so long and I have issues with rejection, this sometimes clouds my judgement and doesn't necessarily make my actions right, but I stand with my decisions and own them regardless - so what's you excuse for being an ignorant jerk?

Sucks really, because we used to get on OK and had similar goals in all of this.

Funny, I do not recall ever making a threat outside of stating that karma might catch up with heavy-handed mods. My only threat there was that I would not let the issue lie and would continue to call it out, eventually it will either bother people enough that the admins might actually do their job in some capacity. The community will also eventually become sick of their nonsense should it continue, though they seem to have backed off - probably just as well, given I more than likely just overstepped a line, but what will be will be, I made that choice and I'll live with it.

Yea I know how that feels and how shitty it is to be on that situation, the feeling of being disposable and second or third rate hits pretty hard. The bubbles here are pretty thick and we're all heavily opinionated at times. 😒

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3830 of 27502, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Die weer in FL is lekker warm maar dis ook al juni nou. Bloemfontein se winter is baie kouer as GP s'n. 😎

Mense uit BE/NL kan baie vinnig AF leer praat, lees en skryf. AF is vereenvoudig NL en daar is net 'klompie taalkundige reëls wat 'n ou benodig om NL na AF te vertaal.

NL: schaap, AF: skaap: sch is altyd sk
NL: hij werkt, wij werken, ik werk: AF: hy werk, ons werk, ek werk

Reply 3831 of 27502, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I played with this

WP_20160603_11_48_00_Pro[1].jpg
Filename
WP_20160603_11_48_00_Pro[1].jpg
File size
1.63 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3832 of 27502, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested a Gigabyte GTX 260 i recently got. Ran 3dmark06 to bench it only to find you need to be connected to the internet to view your score? @*%:*$&^!!!!! So i don't actually know what it scored. Will try again when i can be bothered. 😵 😵 😵

Reply 3833 of 27502, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:

Tested a Gigabyte GTX 260 i recently got. Ran 3dmark06 to bench it only to find you need to be connected to the internet to view your score? @*%:*$&^!!!!! So i don't actually know what it scored. Will try again when i can be bothered. 😵 😵 😵

Nope you do not!

https://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/legacy

Futuremark company now gives us free public registration keys to unlock full versions of their older tests. When it is unlocked and full version, you can see your scores without internet.

Reply 3834 of 27502, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
Nope you do not! […]
Show full quote
Bancho wrote:

Nope you do not!

Futuremark company now gives us free public registration keys to unlock full versions of their older tests. When it is unlocked and full version, you can see your scores without internet.

I really wish more companies did this.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3836 of 27502, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
candle_86 wrote:

I feel so cheated, I paid for 3dmark03, 3dmark05 and 3dmark06 early 2015, not fair 🤣

At least I'm the other way. I never paid for 3dmark 2005 and have been using the free version forever. We couldn't post valid results into their website via the report-online function unless we had a valid key. I got a free copy of 3dmark 2006 pro with my EVGA 8800 GTX way back when, and that's been my ticket to free version.. and I paid for `99 max, 2000, 2001se, 2003, and vantage though. Now I get to go back some time and re-test lots of my older machines and configurations with full 2005 suite and start filling out the 2005 section of my 3dmark profile with results.. 😀

Reply 3837 of 27502, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Nope you do not! […]
Show full quote
Bancho wrote:

Nope you do not!

Thanks for the heads up! I'll give it another go! Got a GTX260 and a HD4890 to bench 🤣

Reply 3838 of 27502, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Started a new project to do with a 486DX 33 MHz 😀

These "lower" 486 setups don't seem to get mentioned / used much but I find them very useful.

I loves my 486 SX33 and use it regularly. Depending on the method the motherboard employs for de-turbing, a 33MHz 486 does 386 specific games like Wing Commander nicely too. I use an OPTi 495SLC board which actually under-clocks the CPU, so it works really well.

The Turbo does indeed work quite well. Engaging it and you get a similar performance to a 386DX 25 MHz I would say. Disabling the internal cache also works, and get roughly half of the performance of that. So yea, it gives you quite a few options.

Had to use Turbo to get Monkey Island to play the MT-32 music correctly 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3839 of 27502, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally had the time to assemble my socket 423 build.
QDI Legend Platinix 4x motherboard
p4-1.8 Willamette
generic s423 cooler
2x256MB RDRAM 400MHz
video card: I wanted to use a Radeon X850, but for some reason it gave me corrupted video. The card works perfectly fine in other systems. I ended up plugging in a TNT2 that I had available in a pinch, but probably won't be the final card in the system. Unfortunately no 3dfx cards will work, the AGP slot is keyed for 1.5V. My trusty GF4200Ti is currently in use in another system. Other cards I have available: ATI Rage XL, GF2GTS (gives artifact pixels, not too bad but annoying), GF5900, quadro NVS280 (PCI, equiv to a FX5200), GF8400GS (PCI, no W98 drivers). I also have a Radeon 7500 and a Radeon 7000, but both of those are flashed with bios for MacOS.
3c905 NIC
YMF744 sound
win98SE

FWIW the driver from vogonsdrivers for the YMF744 didn't install cleanly, gave me a BSOD. Still looking for other drivers.

Those RDRAM modules get quite hot, so now I have a 120mm case fan blowing on them. Keeps them nice and cool.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O