VOGONS

Reply 6081 of 27412, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I got this Pavilion in the mail and I tore it apart, cleaned it, reassembled and upgraded it. Runs very nicely. More pictures + info here https://imgur.com/a/fAnCF

Attachments

• YCslZ7O.jpg
    Filename
    YCslZ7O.jpg
    File size
    371.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6082 of 27412, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to upgrade the hard drive in my iMac G3/600 to a 200GB HDD in place of the 30GB HDD due to lack of space for my video import from my camera, and I might attempt to run both Mac OS X Tiger and Lubuntu
16.04.2 LTS side-by-side if the Linux boot cd detects the rest of the storage.

Edit:
I successfully installed Mac OS X Tiger, and its affiliate updates, such as 10.4.11 update; now, I'm installing Lubuntu on the HDD since Linux detected the rest of the storage (128GB for Mac OS X, and about 64GB for Linux). Well, apparently, Linux won't boot since I found out only 128GB is the limit for the iMac G3, and the only option I have left is to shrink the partition for the Mac partition when re-installing Mac OS X Tiger.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6083 of 27412, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to oven bake some cards as it is summer and popped some rot caps on a Ti 4400, had to bake a Ti 500 as well because a previous owner ran it without a fan till it failed...

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6084 of 27412, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got to setting up my Aopen AX53 (430HX) ATX board. Some random points.

1. Screwholes are not standard ATX. I believe the bottom half is actually Baby-AT. FML.
2. It came with a manual. Unfortunately, the manual jumper settings differ from what's printed on the board. Guess I'll go with whatever is printed on the board.
3. Put in a known working P166-MMX and 2x 16MB EDO. SIMM's use a weird plastic thing I've never seen before.
4. No power when using ATX power supply. Thought it was a dead board. Looked at manual. Apparently there was a jumper setting that allows you to select ATX or AT power source (what's etched on the board just says POWER ON/OFF). Jumper was stuck. FML. Had to pull out the ATX -> AT converter.
5. Powers on! Fortunately I have a Viper V550 PCI with a fan, so I have an idea when the board gets power.
6. Never seen this funky Windows 3.1 style BIOS before.
7. CMOS battery is unsurprisingly dead. Unfortunately its a soldered on Dallas RTC. Sigh. I think I have to put this guy back in storage unless I get a case with ATX and AT style screws.

l1uU11D.jpg

Reply 6086 of 27412, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MCGA wrote:

My Compaq with a P166 has the same BIOS. It weirds me out.

I have a 486 with the same style BIOS setup. Surprised me a lot!

1982 to 2001

Reply 6087 of 27412, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

Decided to oven bake some cards as it is summer and popped some rot caps on a Ti 4400, had to bake a Ti 500 as well because a previous owner ran it without a fan till it failed...

I have a half dozen cards that need baked.

What procedure do you use when you bake?

The first on my list is a Quadro FX4500 512MB because it's good cannon-fodder.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 6088 of 27412, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
I have a half dozen cards that need baked. […]
Show full quote
nforce4max wrote:

I have a half dozen cards that need baked.

What procedure do you use when you bake?

The first on my list is a Quadro FX4500 512MB because it's good cannon-fodder.

Why does everybody seem to go for baking cards? There are a whole bunch of other reasons why a card could fail. Also, smoke is bad for electronics, don't see how it could help 😜

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 6089 of 27412, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MCGA wrote:

I had a 486 motherboard that had that, and that was amazing to see that BIOS, which did look like Windows 3 with the layout, and the BIOS supports the use of either a keyboard or mouse.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6090 of 27412, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:
MCGA wrote:

I had a 486 motherboard that had that, and that was amazing to see that BIOS, which did look like Windows 3 with the layout, and the BIOS supports the use of either a keyboard or mouse.

I'm pretty sure BBISHOPPCMS World did a video on those bios. Not super uncommon if I recall correctly.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 6091 of 27412, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried making my own Voodoo 2 SLI cable.

Ended up first breaking the connector on a floppy cable, then after successive attempts cut a finger pretty badly while trying to close the connector after lining up the cable and gave up.

Looked at eBay and saw people are charing $10 for a glorified floppy cable. Lost faith in humanity.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6092 of 27412, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used a chair to close mine. I did put the connector under one of 4 of feets and I sat on the chair. Works very well ^^

That Windows 3.x like BIOS is AMI's famous winbios 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6093 of 27412, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote:

I used a chair to close mine. I did put the connector under one of 4 of feets and I sat on the chair. Works very well ^^

Just tried this. It bent the teeth and broke the second connector. I give up.

Reply 6094 of 27412, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haven't physically started on it yet, but here's my *pun intended* game plan:
-Make CF card "fixed mode" instead of removable, if at all possible. Got a SanDisk 8GB, so I don't know if I can even do that with this card.
-Install Windows 98SE onto CF card, put in my Dell OptiPlex Gs via IDE adapter
-clone old, slower Maxtor drive onto slightly faster, 40GB newer Maxtor drive I ripped from a Win2000 machine
-set it up to dual boot real DOS 6.22 and Win98SE
-somehow not lose my files and old games in the process
-do something with the Yamaha XG1000 card sitting next to my printer in a static-proof bag as it didn't sell on eBay even when I re-listed it. "IRQ Hell" currently has no free IDE slots left for it, and I'm already stretching my luck with the MIDI options as it is on that rig.
-copy all my aging floppy disks onto a USB stick and use them in a floppy emulator, especially my old dad's UpTime disk magazines. Those were awesome!

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 6095 of 27412, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Deksor wrote:

I built my own as well, I broke one connector but the second try worked. My experience is that some connectors open and close a lot easier without breaking than others. I used a small hammer carefully to close mine.

1982 to 2001

Reply 6096 of 27412, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Removed a "heatsink" and thermal tape from one of my PC boards' cpus, applied proper paste and reattached the "heatsink"(code name: meager metal). Latter seems sub-optimal to me but I've got no replacement which fits the spacing between board and chassis.
The cpu is a nice one I haven't seen before(Am486 DX4-100V16BHC).

Attachments

Reply 6097 of 27412, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
Deksor wrote:

I built my own as well, I broke one connector but the second try worked. My experience is that some connectors open and close a lot easier without breaking than others. I used a small hammer carefully to close mine.

Ok, third time is a charm. The chair trick actually worked, finally.. I used a desk instead, but it closed shut. I'll be trying it when I have access to my MMX system next time. Wow, so super excited! I'll need FastVoodoo drivers to SLI two different brand Voodoo 2s right?

Reply 6098 of 27412, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

<snip>

Ok, third time is a charm. The chair trick actually worked, finally.. I used a desk instead, but it closed shut. I'll be trying it when I have access to my MMX system next time. Wow, so super excited! I'll need FastVoodoo drivers to SLI two different brand Voodoo 2s right?

Good to hear! Yes use the FastVoodoo drivers. Those driver overclock the memory a little bit, which caused problems with my Voodoo2's, so check that.

1982 to 2001

Reply 6099 of 27412, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

<snip>

Good to hear! Yes use the FastVoodoo drivers. Those driver overclock the memory a little bit, which caused problems with my Voodoo2's, so check that.

Do I need an external utility to dial them back down to 90MHz?