VOGONS

Reply 6220 of 27508, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Started on a WinME system (XP seemed as little too new for this one)

I'm trying to pair down computers since I have no more space in the basement, but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of this system (mainly I love the A7V)...the computer smells like damp musty basement (which accurately describes my friends basement, where it came from)... I dub thee Musticlees!

- Athlon 1.1Ghz
- Asus A7V
- 1GB RAM (512,256,256) PC133 @100MHz
- GeForce FX5500 256MB AGP
- SB Audigy PCI
- Seagate 80GB HDD
- Pioneer DVD-ROM
- LG CD-RW

Unfortunately the case is missing two drive bay covers (5.25 size) and I have no idea what to even search online to find possible replacements 🙁

Reply 6223 of 27508, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had to hace some retro-ness at my main desk, so this is what i put there. P4-3.0-1M, HD3450. Should be perfect when I need a quick deathmatch or a floppy image written.

probnot wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Try opening six instances of http://zombo.com.

Shit, I haven't seen this in years....mmmmm, zombocom!

WTF? I guess that's zombo-com.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    Filename
    photo (1).JPG
    File size
    1.44 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 6224 of 27508, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Try opening six instances of http://zombo.com.

OMG, help us all. 😳 I just opened zombocom and cachemonet together. Aspirin please.

hmmm... hamster dance as an additive should be interesting.

Reply 6225 of 27508, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
probnot wrote:
Started on a WinME system (XP seemed as little too new for this one) […]
Show full quote

Started on a WinME system (XP seemed as little too new for this one)

I'm trying to pair down computers since I have no more space in the basement, but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of this system (mainly I love the A7V)...the computer smells like damp musty basement (which accurately describes my friends basement, where it came from)... I dub thee Musticlees!

- Athlon 1.1Ghz
- Asus A7V
- 1GB RAM (512,256,256) PC133 @100MHz
- GeForce FX5500 256MB AGP
- SB Audigy PCI
- Seagate 80GB HDD
- Pioneer DVD-ROM
- LG CD-RW

Unfortunately the case is missing two drive bay covers (5.25 size) and I have no idea what to even search online to find possible replacements 🙁

A7V, it's a shame it doesn't have official 133MHz FSB support.
About the drive bay covers missing, I'll typically fill these up with dead or spare optical drives (and place an "X" so I know it's just for covering up the holes in the front). I simply don't hook up these "filler" drives and this prevents the build up of dust in the case.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6226 of 27508, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Discovered that my 3TB drive in my main computer, which has a huge amount of old software on it, hence why it has to do with retro activity, was not being recognized anymore.

Did a bit of troubleshooting and found out it was a cable problem. I went to replace the cable and found that the end that plugs into the motherboard had come loose.

Now I am a happy camper again.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6227 of 27508, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Discovered that my 3TB drive in my main computer, which has a huge amount of old software on it, hence why it has to do with retro activity, was not being recognized anymore.

Did a bit of troubleshooting and found out it was a cable problem. I went to replace the cable and found that the end that plugs into the motherboard had come loose.

I felt scared for you for a second. Dead hard drives are scary business.

Tetrium wrote:

A7V, it's a shame it doesn't have official 133MHz FSB support.
About the drive bay covers missing, I'll typically fill these up with dead or spare optical drives (and place an "X" so I know it's just for covering up the holes in the front). I simply don't hook up these "filler" drives and this prevents the build up of dust in the case.

I was thinking about finding one of those white audigy front port bays. Adding it will be a pain though, since the case has these annoying snap-in sliders. Then I just need one blank. I would prefer functional stuff on the front over dead filler drives.

Reply 6228 of 27508, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried everything I can think of to flash my TH7II bios. I still get the annoying bios lockdown jumper error. This could either mean the BIOS chip is corrupt or when I attempted to flash the first time messed it up.

Edit: I'm going to check work for a BIOS flasher first.

Reply 6229 of 27508, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
probnot wrote:

I felt scared for you for a second. Dead hard drives are scary business.

I really need to get another drive so I can backup more of my stuff to another computer just in case.
The computer I back up to then backs up a lot of stuff to Backblaze.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6230 of 27508, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

This is exactly why all my old software from 1990's and early 2000's is stored on my file server under RAID-5, on a enterprise-grade hardware raid card, which is mostly duplicated on a second "nearline" (off most of the time) file server, which also runs raid-5 on a hardware, enterprise-grade raid card, which both are backed up to data tapes and stored off-site in our self storage unit in a air-tight plastic case, along with some of my other computer backup images and most of my old CD's.

Reply 6231 of 27508, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Slowly ruining my sleep schedule by playing Doom, Quake, and Unreal till 2 in the morning. 😵

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 6232 of 27508, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ordered some new potentiometers for my Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro and my temporary sound card, the AZT2316R, has intermittent issues with the sfx playing and the FM synth is too quiet, and still emits a pitched whine for a few seconds. My guess is the card needs fresh caps, but my Redneck speaker balance cable (cable cut in half with the potentiometer as the balance knob in the center) outputs correct volume level to my speakers nicely.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6233 of 27508, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Setup Windows 7 32-bit on an HP Compaq 8510p laptop with 2.4GHz T7700, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1680x1050 resolution 15" display. Runs well after a thorough cleaning and declogged heatsink + clean fan + new thermal paste. Still idles in the high 40s and the fan likes to run a lot but under full load via prime95, it never gets above 75C so I guess it's just working the way it should.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6234 of 27508, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been playing around further with BeOS on 1 of my Pentium III PCs. Installed Zeta 1.21 and was able to run everything fine, including the rather awful BeOS port of Wolfenstein 3D. So I decided to update to Zeta 1.5 and Duke Nukem 3D stopped working. 😠

I wiped the install and went back to 1.21 and it's all working good again. Good job this OS doesn't take long to install. 🤣

I might play around with the BeOS 5 "Max Edition" at some point, to be a bit more period correct, as this version of Zeta is from 2006, yet still runs well on my old PIII.

Reply 6235 of 27508, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Setup Windows 7 32-bit on an HP Compaq 8510p laptop with 2.4GHz T7700, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1680x1050 resolution 15" display. Runs well after a thorough cleaning and declogged heatsink + clean fan + new thermal paste. Still idles in the high 40s and the fan likes to run a lot but under full load via prime95, it never gets above 75C so I guess it's just working the way it should.

I use a similar HP Elitebook as my main laptop. 2.5GHZ Core2Duo P8 something, HD3650, 320GB HDD, and 3GB RAM. Runs CSS and DoD:S pretty well which is about all I need for away from home multiplayer. It's only other duty is outputting movies via it's HDMI.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 6236 of 27508, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to swap the DVD drive for the DVD burner in my IBM ThinkPad R40, and I thought the connections were different, but they aren't. The DVD Drive is now in my Pavilion N3350 since it's not needed since the software I have is dated and probably won't detect the drive at all.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6237 of 27508, by ErasmoRa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gedjacobs wrote:

Decided to swap the DVD drive for the DVD burner in my IBM ThinkPad R40, and I thought the connections were different, but they aren't. The DVD Drive is now in my Pavilion N3350 since it's not needed since the software I have is dated and probably won't detect the drive at all.

Lol I haven't seen that in years, funny that it's still up.

Last edited by ErasmoRa on 2021-10-20, 15:47. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 6238 of 27508, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

How does the R40 perform? I just looked on thinkwiki and wow the possible configurations vary so widely.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 6239 of 27508, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finished setting up my Gateway Pentium III 450 system and installing Windows 98. Decided to give this a Voodoo3 2000 as somehow I've managed to go all this time without ever owning one. This is now very nearly the machine I had back in 1999 - same CPU, same 128MB ram. . . just the original was a desktop case with a Rage 128 and this is a tower with 3DFX. It had the same 13GB Quantum Fireball drive too, but thankfully it was dead so I could get something quieter 😜