VOGONS

Reply 8120 of 27186, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
uzurpator wrote:
I was trying to get the most of SS7 system made of Shuttle HOT-591p and Pentium 200 ( p54c ). […]
Show full quote

I was trying to get the most of SS7 system made of Shuttle HOT-591p and Pentium 200 ( p54c ).

I managed to get it to post at 83mhz fsb and 210 mhz and 75mhz fsb and 225mhz. 83x3 didn't work, so no 250mhz Pentium for me. Neither did work 90mhz fsb.

On related note, on the same board I am trying to validate old 850MB and 2GB drives, but it seems both are dead. My alternative plan - of using a IDE->Sata converter and a 4GB SSD, but the board does not even post with the converter plugged in.

So I guess it's CF card for this system.

Are you sure the cable's plugged in correctly? You're either extremely unlucky, or something's not hooked up correctly.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 8122 of 27186, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spending like 2 hours to a friend, that have years experience in recapping capacitors, and replacing other elements like transistors and other chips. Also he have old quality German tool that is very precise and well made, bcuz other people here are using mostly chinese cheap junk ones when they are recaping caps...
He did repair my Intel D865PERL board that did have x3 Nichicon caps blown up to the RAM slots, now is like brand new. He did also recap all small caps on my TYAN Trinity K7 S2380, as they was blown up all of them. He did recap previously ABIT BE6 all big capacitors, but seems one transistor was dead as well, so now i will need spare one, and then the board will be running. Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ rev 1, this board did have blown up all big caps, so all of them are replaces now, and one middle one as well, but the board will not be running, before a toasted chip to be replaced, the board is special as it have Dual BIOS, universal AGP slot, DDR memory, it is perfect for Voodoo 5500...
Also my AOpen DX34R-U stopper posting, and i was mad when it did start to show no post, and last time i used it it was working perfectly fine, so i will clean the whole damn board with 93% alcohol, till it starts to post....

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 8125 of 27186, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well for starters, I'm posting this from my 486 DX4-100 running Windows 95 and IE 5.5. Vogons runs pretty good on that setup surprisingly. And I'm viewing it on the NEC Multisync II 🤣 in 640X480, because I don't feel like putzing with the horizontal and vertical feeds, and I'm using the VGA input of my LCD for that pesky gateway.

Yesterday, my 2 hardcards finally sold on E-bay...I'm trying to pack them today. I Also finally sold the Dell, glad to see that go off to a good home...

Now as far as my retro-messin' goes I've got to focus on the Gateway 2000 P5-100. Using/messing with it more and I've realized that this thing has some SERIOUS motherboard issues.....thank god I never got it working in the last 2 weeks....well, as of this morning, it finally went tits up, not sure what killed it. Just low loud BIOS Beep every 30 seconds....that's baaad.

That motherboard was a total PITA anyway when it came to hard disks, while it did have a auto-detect feature, what it lacked was being able to detect super large (8GB+) Hard Disks without either A.) Hanging after POST on Auto Detect B.)Not being able to find the correct size of the drive for the DDO (20GB in this case), and C.) Just being a piece of junk in general.

Now I'm kind of playing around with "Do I get another Socket 7 motherboard and get this working" or "Do I replicate my 486 over to this box" for support reasons (it's a build for a friend using leftover parts). Seem so odd to me I've had THIS much trouble getting this old thing to be happy.

So I think I might go look around for a decent and affordable socket 3 or socket 7 board for it and put it together. On the 486 end, I've found another 486-PVT like the system I'm typing this on has - which is easy to support because it's the SAME board this one has. But on the other hand, I could throw a decent socket 7 board in there and make use of the ATI Mach64 card the gateway came with.....decisions decisions, maybe I'll get lucky and hit a board while at the thrifts....I dunno.

Meanwhile, the purge continues - aside from a Roland Mulitrack Recorder, a Blackstar amp, and some kind of vintage portable mixed drink set from the 60's, I've got a lot of cards and crap to go though. The idea is to split the lot between spares for my 286/Tandy/486/Core2 - and sell of whatever I won't use because it's either A.) Too slow for my needs B.) not useable on my genres C.) I already have 4 of them. Just need to test everything and post it up.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 8126 of 27186, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried again to install something useful (OS/X, Linux, etc.) onto my 1st-gen Apple TV. This requires navigating the frozen remains of 2011's internet and I'm starting to think it's no longer possible. Broken links, inactive torrents, Google Code projects that got robo-copied to Github without any of the documentation, files hosted on dodgy downloader sites that no longer exist, instructions on dead forums that required logging in, sites that never got archived because of robots.txt... The list goes on.

There are websites around from the '90s that still work fine, but it seems 2008~13 is now a wasteland. What the fuck are we doing??

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 8127 of 27186, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

There are websites around from the '90s that still work fine, but it seems 2008~13 is now a wasteland. What the fuck are we doing??

My observations too. I would extend the mentioned timeperiod to the following: 2006-2014

The fluctuation of service providers, the decentralized approach on storing information online makes it so hard to find consistent information later on. I am very glad we have vogonsdrivers, some 3rd party enthusiast websites and a few fellow vogoner's who rather upload attachments than link them.

Reply 8128 of 27186, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday I picked up the 4th and last load of the big lot I bought and today I carried the stuff inside.

I really need to clear out and trash some non valuble non technology crap out of one of my storage units so I can move some systems, CRTs and boxes with parts there.

All in all I would guess we are talking about at least 2000kg (4400lbs) of beige boxes, CRTs and parts but much is incomplete, non working or in less than stellar optical condition.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8129 of 27186, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, got the Gateway 2000 P5-100 running, under the original motherboard, I guess this is what they meant by "Plug'n'Pray" since that was part of the problem (the motherboard being knocked into recovery mode also being part of it).

I think the ATI card is dead, so I'm replacing it with an ISA OAK Card, since all this machine will be doing is playing old DOS Games and some not-so-graphics-heavy Win9x titles anyway (currently pushing all of the DOS stuff to it from Windows 10 as I speak).

Now off to go pack more stuff and put more stuff on the marketplaces I use.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 8130 of 27186, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lots of benching done today... and some untimely deaths.

I further partioned my srams into higher and lower quality batches... talk about sticking it in.
I was not able to get 60mhz fsb + tightest cache timings stable even when using the 12ns UM61s. Feipoa did not succed either at 60/66mhz so I guess it's best to leave out the cache completely and go for ram that's able to cope with such a bus speed at the tightest timings. The 60ns rams I ran through differed in quality by quite a large margin.

Reply 8131 of 27186, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
creepingnet wrote:

Well, got the Gateway 2000 P5-100 running, under the original motherboard, I guess this is what they meant by "Plug'n'Pray" since that was part of the problem (the motherboard being knocked into recovery mode also being part of it).

I think the ATI card is dead, so I'm replacing it with an ISA OAK Card, since all this machine will be doing is playing old DOS Games and some not-so-graphics-heavy Win9x titles anyway (currently pushing all of the DOS stuff to it from Windows 10 as I speak).

Now off to go pack more stuff and put more stuff on the marketplaces I use.

gateway 2000 <3

Is it a desktop or tower?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 8132 of 27186, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also whipped this up

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Filename
    Untitled-1.jpg
    File size
    83.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 8133 of 27186, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Worked on Toshiba Libretto 50CDT in order to exchange hard drive to CF card. Succeeded... but not without casualties. It seems that the plastic case is really very brittle, so when I tried to close it, the little plastic hinges just broke off. I am very angry with my clumsy self, honestly, did not expect that. On the flip side, the CF card now sits in the disk bay and everything works fine - DOS games galore. So, every cloud.

Reply 8134 of 27186, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing is like to bring back great part, that did stop to work............

Also a picture of the desk, with the new mouse and all the keys/caps on the Model M....

And i did find spare parts for ABIT BE6 and Gigabyte board, so they will be fixed soon too...

Attachments

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 8135 of 27186, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested some more and went through the remaining chinese shite-rams... lo and behold, only one piece made it through the test which consisted of "playing tag ram at 50mhz fsb @ tightest timings".

Attachments

• Participants.jpg
    Filename
    Participants.jpg
    File size
    207.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 'winner'.jpg
    Filename
    'winner'.jpg
    File size
    53.2 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8136 of 27186, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I drove down to north Fort Lauderdale from Atlanta to pick up a Tandy 1000HX, CM-5, DMP-130A, and a bunch of games, all with boxes. This brings me to a total of 13 Tandy 1000 systems...

The 1000HX turned on precisely three times before failing, with a very slight burnt smell in the power supply area. No expansion cards, just the default 256kb ram. I took it apart, didn't see anything obviously wrong, all the caps look great. I'll be posting some pictures if anyone's interested.

The CM-5 works great. The printer is in really poor shape, sadly...

Attachments

• Tandy.png
    Filename
    Tandy.png
    File size
    555.5 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8137 of 27186, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Too bad the 1000HX failed. It might be a bad power inverter, filter capacitor, or something in the PSU that caused it to fail.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 8138 of 27186, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

Tried again to install something useful (OS/X, Linux, etc.) onto my 1st-gen Apple TV. This requires navigating the frozen remains of 2011's internet and I'm starting to think it's no longer possible. Broken links, inactive torrents, Google Code projects that got robo-copied to Github without any of the documentation, files hosted on dodgy downloader sites that no longer exist, instructions on dead forums that required logging in, sites that never got archived because of robots.txt... The list goes on.

Update: after an UNBELIEVABLE amount of Fucking With It, I managed to get OSMC (Open Source Media Center, the closest thing to a still-supported Linux distro) going on the Apple TV. What took BY FAR the most time & caused the most aggravation was sorting through the reams of out-of-date & bad information out there and dealing with dead or junk links. Also, Google almost entirely fails to return useful results if you're trying to do this. Surprise surprise. Once I figured out what I actually had to do it wasn't hard at all.

osmc_setup.jpg
Filename
osmc_setup.jpg
File size
125.62 KiB
Views
File license

(Note: I swap around Linux distros and reinstall from scratch all the time, the basics of this was nothing new for me. Just the details of doing it on the ATV1...)

Anyway I'll post more on this later. I've ingested literally gigabytes of near-impossible-to-find data just to get this far. But it's getting uncomfortably close to morning and the sun's coming up...

osmcmenu.jpg
Filename
osmcmenu.jpg
File size
151.35 KiB
Views
File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 8139 of 27186, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally 'signed off' my Winchip P180 machine.

This motherboard:
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Intel_Adv … nced%E2%88%95EV

8MB RAM
S3 Virge 4 MB PCI
Mechanical HDD
I had a COAST module that doesn't work with the CPU
And I have the Vibra 16 riser board to use the onboard sound.

After a lot of faffing with the serial port IDK issue and ordering a cheap 3COM NIC I knew I could get drivers for, my Win 95 machine is complete.

I celebrated by installing Duke Nukem 3D and watching the Weezer music video on the Win 95 CD.

I know the WinChip CPU is niche, but I would like a Pentium 200 MMX CPU, as that's what I had after my Pentium 90 machine.

The PSU is a bit iffy, so I can order a new one in time.

Does anyone have any more info on the Wavetable header? Is there something i can order to get that working?