VOGONS

Reply 9322 of 27508, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm trying to get a ret... ehm Ebay seller to not wrap the rare motherboard I bought in bubble wrap and I'm having zero luck...

ESD bag...He dosn't seem to know what it is...
ESD safe bubble wrap... ESD what?...
Aluminium foil (with the button cell battery removed)... He dosn't have any foil and can't remove the battery anyhow...
Common newspaper paper (with graphite print)... He dosn't have any...
Any sort of paper! ... He dosn't have any.

What does he have? ... One of those thin single layer bubble wrap bags and a box... He is going to ship my precious in it... to Ebays Global shipment mangleing center to be manhandled by other ret.... ehm Ebay employees...

Now and then I wish I could kill with my mind...

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 9323 of 27508, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd file a complaint to the eBay company itself since the seller doesn't have the appropriate items.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9324 of 27508, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

I'd file a complaint to the eBay company itself since the seller doesn't have the appropriate items.

Then I would have to try to explain to the Ebay ret.... ehm employees what static electricity is...

I'm sure it will be fine...

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 9325 of 27508, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:
I'm trying to get a ret... ehm Ebay seller to not wrap the rare motherboard I bought in bubble wrap and I'm having zero luck... […]
Show full quote

I'm trying to get a ret... ehm Ebay seller to not wrap the rare motherboard I bought in bubble wrap and I'm having zero luck...

Aluminium foil (with the button cell battery removed)... He dosn't have any foil and can't remove the battery anyhow...
Common newspaper paper (with graphite print)... He dosn't have any...
Any sort of paper! ... He dosn't have any.

What does he have? ... One of those thin single layer bubble wrap bags and a box... He is going to ship my precious in it... to Ebays Global shipment mangleing center to be manhandled by other ret.... ehm Ebay employees...

Now and then I wish I could kill with my mind...

Take a chance on the bubble wrap and return it if it arrives DOA.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9326 of 27508, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Take a chance on the bubble wrap and return it if it arrives DOA.

That is my plan! 😀

So far I have had good luck with the bubble wrapped hardware.

Reply 9327 of 27508, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had good luck as well with the motherboard, CPU, RAM, Ethernet, and somewhat the video card I purchased last year. The board, CPU, RAM, and Ethernet card works without issues, still to this day, but, the GPU was suffering from shadowing from the text in Windows, but DOS handled the card very well. Every sound card I purchased online, won during a contest, or at thrift stores had the anti-static bags around them (which is nice) and they still work.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9328 of 27508, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

why not BOTH?!

RUN ALL THE OPERATING SYSTEMS!

NextStep on a 486!
DRDOS with DesqView!
CP/M on a Kaypro!
VMS in a Virtual Machine!
Haiku!

And if somebody throws a few hundred dollars at me, MorphOS on a Powermac G5 (or even better a Talos II Power9 workstation for... well, more than a few hundred).

Last edited by Merovign on 2018-07-31, 21:34. Edited 1 time in total.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9329 of 27508, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

I bought a big roll of ESD safe bubble wrap for that kind of thing. I wish I had more strong film ESD bags, though.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9331 of 27508, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday, when I was at the doctor's office, I spotted this old guy in the corner.

qnROpLtl.jpg

With my doctor's consent, I was able to take it and the accompanying keyboard (which looks like to me it could be a clone or variant of those famous IBM keyboards) home with me.

567IxbRl.jpg
0E02dgHl.jpg

It appeared to be a Pentium II machine that was used in conjunction with an external x-ray device, from what I could gather.

After taking an 8-hour "nap", I got to work on taking it apart and cleaning it. First, before that, I wanted to see its internals and what was on there to begin with.

6CSJYlil.jpg

I opened up the PC so its dusty interior could get some nice fresh air while I turned it on in probably over a decade to find Win95 "plus" installed with a "Hologic" interface that loads upon reaching the desktop.

UrCPz5pl.jpg

That Hologic software worked with the SCSI Hologic ISA card that was installed to control whatever x-ray or otherwise machine that was below the PC in my doctor's office.

After satiating my curiosity, I began the slow, tedious process of taking everything apart to then clean it and reassemble it. While the Iomega 3.5" Jazz 1GB drive was one of the PC's most notable features, on the inside, I found even more interesting pieces of hardware: A 2GB Quantum Fireball SE IDE hard drive (which I have since did a full format of to completely erase all data that was ever on that drive, to respect both past patients privacy as well as to also guard myself against legal action 😀 ), a solid-built and cool-running little drive -

FbQhAmhl.jpg

- as well as what appears to be one of the famous S3 Virge graphics cards, an S3 Virge Stealth 3D 2000 by Diamond -

IKd92Vjl.jpg

I would have liked to have said I finished working on it by now, but, as my luck would have it, one of the standoff screws on the Intel motherboard was badly threaded and won't come out of the case's standoff. I am now waiting for a metal filing kit so I can actually remove the screw from the standoff and go about cleaning and further working with the board.

QsC6Cucl.jpg

In the meanwhile, I cleaned the power supply (wearing Neoprene gloves when working with it, so, you know, I don't die of electrocution) -

pkFq2gsl.jpg

- as well as put a fresh coat of thermal paste between the PII 300MHz and its passive heatsink (although this resulted in the retention clips being a bit bent here it there; they still apply just enough pressure though *thumbs up* ). It was a pain to do so, though.

r3rfNTdl.jpg

I don't know what I am going to really do with this machine, but I couldn't bare the idea of letting this machine go to the landfill, though. 😀 Probably going to throw in a used SATA I hard drive from ebay and connect that up with a SATA PCI interface card I have lying around, install Windows 98 SE on it, and uh, enjoy what I have accomplished, I guess.

Last edited by ultra_code on 2018-11-05, 22:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 9333 of 27508, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the_ultra_code wrote:

Yesterday, when I was at the doctor's office, I spotted this old guy in the corner.

With my doctor's consent, I was able to take it and the accompanying keyboard (which looks like to me it could be a clone or variant of those famous IBM keyboards) home with me.

What a nice looking bulky tower 😊
Just out of curiosity, did it came with any Hologic installation disk?

Reply 9334 of 27508, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
peido wrote:

What a nice looking bulky tower 😊
Just out of curiosity, did it came with any Hologic installation disk?

No, just what you see. I don't think there was any of that accompanying software around the setup, and I didn't care to look for such things any how. There was also no media in either the optical, floppy, or the Iomega Jazz drive.

Since I don't plan on ever using any Hologic software or hardware any time soon, I'm going to recycle that Hologic SCSI ISA card, the ISA modem card that was also in the PC, the PC's floppy drive (I have USB floppy drives, if I ever need to make an image of a floppy with WinImage, and an extra Gotek USB Floppy emulator drive if I need floppy (which I am if I am going to install Win98 SE), so I won't need that 😀 ), and another PCI modem card from another LGA775 Pentium 4 Dell machine I received almost a year ago at my local Best Buy, which as since been disassembled.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 9335 of 27508, by ssokolow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the_ultra_code wrote:

Since I don't plan on ever using any Hologic software or hardware any time soon, I'm going to recycle that Hologic SCSI ISA card, the ISA modem card that was also in the PC, the PC's floppy drive (I have USB floppy drives, if I ever need to make an image of a floppy with WinImage, and an extra Gotek USB Floppy emulator drive if I need floppy

Please don't recycle floppy drives. USB floppy drives can't be plugged into a KryoFlux to image more esoteric things, like copy-protected DOS 720K floppies, Microsoft "over-formats" for packing more than 1.44MiB into distribution floppies, and 400/800K Apple GCR floppies.

(As I understand it, the KryoFlux compensates for the fixed spindle speed by sampling the magnetic flux at a high enough resolution to compensate in software.)

If you don't want to keep it, try to find it a good home. Heck, even if you have a bad drive, try to find someone willing to take a crack at repairing it. They're only going to get harder to find over time.

Internet Archive: My Uploads
My Blog: Retrocomputing Resources
My Rose-Coloured-Glasses Builds

I also try to announce retro-relevant stuff on on Mastodon.

Reply 9336 of 27508, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ssokolow wrote:

Please don't recycle floppy drives. USB floppy drives can't be plugged into a KryoFlux to image more esoteric things, like copy-protected DOS 720K floppies, Microsoft "over-formats" for packing more than 1.44MiB into distribution floppies, and 400/800K Apple GCR floppies.

(As I understand it, the KryoFlux compensates for the fixed spindle speed by sampling the magnetic flux at a high enough resolution to compensate in software.)

If you don't want to keep it, try to find it a good home. Heck, even if you have a bad drive, try to find someone willing to take a crack at repairing it. They're only going to get harder to find over time.

Welp. Um... I kinda just did... 😒

I'll take that plea of yours to heart now, though. I'll at least put the time and effort into trying to sell them on ebay, if that'll make you feel any better. I just didn't feel like spending more of my time doing that, although those points you brought up regarding certain images does now make me somewhat regret what I did.

Sorry to ruin your day. That's never my intention. 🙁

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 9337 of 27508, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ssokolow wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, I have like a dozen of them in a box, and a spare (but needs work) Mac superdrive. Not sure that drive will ever work again, but it's a source of parts, anyway.

I will confess to once disposing of an 8" drive that I'd moved around for years with no use, but that was an ugly move for hardware - someone (not me) dropped my Cromemco off the back of a truck, I'll probably never see one of those again.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9338 of 27508, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few days ago, I noticed that the fan on my Toshiba 430CDT was not actually working. No idea how long it wasn't working for actually now that I think of it. Could've been like that since the day I got it. Whoops. Anyway, since it's kind of a pain to open it all the way up to where you can actually get at the fan, I just kind of took a ruler to the outside of the case and measured the fan and came away with 30mm. Ordered a replacement and it arrived today, so I opened it all up to replace it and -- whoops! -- actually it should be a 25mm fan. D'oh. Also, the fan itself has a custom shape with two mounts for screws which are important to how the CPU heatsink is secured against the motherboard and laptop case (I noticed those before when I cleaned the inside a while ago, but assumed they were part of the heatsink and not the fan itself). So using a generic replacement wouldn't have been a good idea anyway probably... though, could probably do it that way in a pinch. Anyway, found a place selling the exact same fan (refurbished) so have to wait a couple more days.

EVDfz0Zt.jpg gO78ul5t.jpg

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 9339 of 27508, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally installed WinXP MCE 2005 on my Super P3. I've always liked the MCE theme, and it runs great on this machine. The MCE interface runs at a full 60 fps. It even plays that MCE demonstration video (with the people playing pool) completely stutter-free. That's a 720p WMV-HD encoded video!

Specs of the machine are:
PIII-S @ 1575
2GB DDR-300 CL2
6800GT AGP
X-Fi
QDI Advance 12T
XP MCE 2005 SP3...yeah baby!

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!