VOGONS

Reply 9500 of 27171, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The danger is acid getting under the outer layer and eroding your traces. It doesn't look like that's happened yet, but corrosion should be neutralized ASAP to prevent it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9501 of 27171, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

The danger is acid getting under the outer layer and eroding your traces. It doesn't look like that's happened yet, but corrosion should be neutralized ASAP to prevent it.

Thermalwrong wrote:

I am wondering how urgently I need to clean this and what the damage of it is like, the seller's picture is from before this corrosion started happening (I think?)

IMG_0003 (Custom) (1).jpeg

Soon. I waited too long on one board and, while it works and the damage may already have been done when I got it, it will need to be repaired or discarded.

There are all kind of tutorials on stopping the corrosion online. People often use pure alcohol and/or baking soda, and I have a can of DeoxIT on my desk for finishing up.

You can clip the leads if you don't do soldering, but getting the source of acid out is important. I keep the old battery in a plastic bag until I replace it to keep track of what's needed.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9502 of 27171, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do soldering. I really need to contact the seller before taking bits off the board though 😀
I was just going to remove the battery, clean off the area with isopropyl alcohol and maybe put some clear coat on the area, would it need more than that? I've just noticed the bios chip has some marks - that makes sense if the battery leaked while the motherboard was in a tower case or while stored upright.

From the silkscreening on the PCB, I think I can fit a coin cell to it instead.

Reply 9503 of 27171, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote:

I am wondering how urgently I need to clean this and what the damage of it is like, the seller's picture is from before this corrosion started happening (I think?)

IMG_0003 (Custom) (1).jpeg

You need to remove it now. These things are time bombs who's fuse has well and truly burnt out by now.

If possible, ask the seller to cut it off with sidecutters before sending it to you, or do it as soon as you get if it is otherwise too late and already sent.

Dont worry about contacting seller before cutting it off, If it worked when you received it, they won't care.

Last edited by canthearu on 2018-08-18, 02:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9504 of 27171, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I received it a few days ago and took that picture, I wanted to get some opinions of how bad it is before doing anything, so thanks everyone.

Reply 9505 of 27171, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Figured out why the AlphaPC 164 would boot with one RAM bank populated, or the other RAM bank populated, but not with both. Reading the manual helps. Both banks populated lead to the RAM datapath increasing from 128-bit to 256-bit and I needed to change a jumper accordingly. Now I have not only twice the RAM but also twice the bandwidth. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9506 of 27171, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Swapped the GeForce 6200 card with the GeForce2 MX400 since the GeForce 6200 decided to overheat for no reason (the heatsink fan is working, and there was adequate space for the fan to breathe) and I put new thermal compound on the GPU again. I will test the card and see how it looks.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9507 of 27171, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
kaputnik wrote:

Soldered together an adapter, (almost) according to the schematic on page 45 here, to be able to use a Sega Megadrive/Genesis gamepad with my C64. Didn't have the suggested germanium diodes in stock, so decided to take the chance that the C64 wouldn't mind the higher forwarding voltage of regular 1N4148 silicon diodes. Seems to work just fine.

Cool! I use a Master System controller with my C64 and am happy with that - no mod required. That up button trick sounds handy though I must admit.

Should be easy enough to achieve the same thing with a SMS pad 😀 If it looks like this inside, you only need to disconnect the white or blue wire (depending on what button you want to use for UP), and solder a jumper wire from that solder point to point 1, where the brown wire is connected.

Reply 9508 of 27171, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_ultra_code wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:
Bancho wrote:
Installed a Arctic Silent 3 HSF in my Tualatin machine today. I was after one of these coolers for a while due to the slanted ba […]
Show full quote

Installed a Arctic Silent 3 HSF in my Tualatin machine today. I was after one of these coolers for a while due to the slanted base. There are caps in close vicinity to the socket which made it impossible to install larger heatsinks.

PcoB9SBl.jpg
FZosB4ol.jpg

What Tualatin board has THREE ISA slots?!?

My question would be - is that an Intel board or another chipset maker's board (VIA, etc.), and, by extension, what chipset is on that board?

The board is this one which is a Intel BX chipset and I'm using it with a Adapted Tualatin 1400-S chip.

http://www.dfi-itox.com/pages/products/mother … rol/cb60bxc.php

Reply 9510 of 27171, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since I am out in the woods, I have no access to my retro hardware. So, DosBox. I was playing with some Hercules software (Word 5.5, PC Paint 3.1), as well as code samples that Vogoner Jo22 kindly shared with me.

Did my best to add Skeletor in there, too.

Hercules_forever.png
Filename
Hercules_forever.png
File size
25.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Attachments

• Filename
    Jo22_sample.png
    File size
    10.98 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

Reply 9512 of 27171, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Playing: Lotus-II, Great Gianasisters and Hugo the troll on Amiga500 with both of my children.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9514 of 27171, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends on what you need. I use plain EmuCR with Munt.

Also, I was trying to make a joke. Get it? Not retro enough. 2015. Get it? get... ahh forget it.

As for my retro activity for today, I had fun reading through some 1997-vintage documentation of the Alpha CPU memory management unit.

Last edited by stamasd on 2018-08-18, 23:29. Edited 1 time in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9515 of 27171, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got a massive monitor from a friend of mine that he didn't want anymore, it belonged to his grandmother's nephew

Compaq S920, 19 inch beast from I believe 2002/2003

20180818_202436.jpg
Filename
20180818_202436.jpg
File size
857.08 KiB
Views
File comment
No Skeleton with me, but if you want to know who is the girl, it is Patchouli from the Touhou saga :3
File license

Reply 9516 of 27171, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Grr, transatlantic shipping costs... found a card I'd been looking for for some time for an acceptable price - in the US. Shipping would cost more than the card - and then there would probably be customs duties to pay (moderate) and customs handling costs (steep). In all it would triple the price 🙁

So not buying it unless I manage to sell a big pile of other stuff. Instead this evening I sorted my box of cables, with separate bags for floppy, PATA, SATA, SCSI, serial and USB. Suddenly I can find stuff again. Which was needed to test a "new" 5.25" floppy drive. Conclusion: drive is fine, but one of the few floppy cables I have with edge connector is buggered. Will see if I can clean the connector back to life...

Reply 9517 of 27171, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stamasd wrote:

Depends on what you need. I use plain EmuCR with Munt.

Also, I was trying to make a joke. Get it? Not retro enough. 2015. Get it? get... ahh forget it.

Sorry, it was late and I was tired, didn't get the joke. Plus, some people on the internet actually do have strong opinions on everything, including programs one is using. Cheers!

Reply 9518 of 27171, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cleaned my Pentium 4 laptops (2 Inspiron 600m laptops and the ThinkPad R40) since they needed new thermal compound and a good dusting (the ThinkPad R40 didn't have any dust, fortunately). I also swapped the keyboards between the Inspiron 600m laptops since the F and G key on the working laptop broke off (stupid plastic piece underneath the keys made it impossible to type) and took the screen off of the fixer-upper laptop since it needs a new hinge. My plan is to buy new keyboards, a hinge, and 3 new IDE hard drives since 1 is bad, the other ones are still good, but, storage space is limited. The last laptop, the ThinkPad R40 hit a snag when I was replacing the thermal compound: the power connector for the heatsink fan ripped off of the motherboard and I thought I had to replace the motherboard with another one (prices are scarce nowadays), but, I decided to repair it (first laptop motherboard component repair), and it still works.

0vdxwxll.jpg

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9519 of 27171, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Installed sound card and drivers for the Vibra 16S (basically just a Soundblaster 16, discrete opl3 chip and all) in my Compaq Presario 425.

First thing I ever heard through it was CANYON. MID. It's only proper 😁

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎