It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9521 of 27363, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I finished up work on my newest and (physically) biggest drive I own. Went through low level formatting and now I apparently have 100% OK drive with no bad sectors! Yaaays! 😁

IMG_20180820_205548_zpsxhymyjkt.jpgIMG_20180820_210418_zpslirgfbym.jpg
IMG_20180820_210521_zpsn9qd1hss.jpg

The last comparision is with my SATA I Maxtor DiamondMax 250 GB drive I have done by mistake. I would never thought that it would work.

That's not bad for a completely dead drive isn't it? First it wouldn't spin, then it wouldn't talk to SCSI controller and last the heads wouldn't talk to the platters. Everything is happy now including me 😁

Reply 9522 of 27363, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a SCSI hard drive? Wow. Glad the HDD works. Also, long live Windows XP. I have a few machines that support Windows XP, 2 currently have XP Pro SP3 installed, 1 has a failing HDD after remapping the bad sectors (did get it to work, though, which is a plus), and 3 are either in storage or planning on swapping the parts around again.

My plan is to image the current HDDs onto my Windows 10 laptop and clone the images to a bigger HDD to replace them with to prevent data loss if the current HDDs go bad.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9524 of 27363, by lordmogul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Made some more holes into a case to fit a speaker to the front. Not pretty, but better than the little buzzers nowadays.

P3 933EB @1035 (7x148) | CUSL2-C | GF3Ti200 | 256M PC133cl3 @148cl3 | 98SE & XP Pro SP3
X5460 @4.1 (9x456) | P35-DS3R | GTX660Ti | 8G DDR2-800cl5 @912cl6 | XP Pro SP3 & 7 SP1
3570K @4.4 GHz | Z77-D3H | GTX1060 | 16G DDR3-1600cl9 @2133cl12 | 7 SP1

Reply 9525 of 27363, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Archived my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus Motherboard's BIOS onto my Compaq Presario C700 laptop in case I need to replace said chip should it fail. Good thing my EEPROM programmer can read/write to that chip.

Another thing I did was test the CBW Diplomat PC I have, which it does work and booted into Windows XP Home Edition (looks like no SP). How odd is it to see the AGP speed selector in a BIOS on a DFI motherboard have 1x, 2x, and 4x on there? Could that possibly mean that I can put in an old AGP card that's either 1x or 2x, or does that go by the voltage support? I haven't seen that since my Socket 370 motherboard, or the old DFI P5BV3+ Rev. B+ board I had years ago. Just looked at the manual I found online and it's a universal AGP slot. Something you don't see anymore when AGP 8x rolled out in 2005 and was replaced by PCI-E back in 2006-2007 (LGA 775, and Socket 939 days).

Reply 9526 of 27363, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick question guys. Some of you may remember I picked these two monitors up for free from a Letgo ad. They do work, but have a faded, almost washed out looking image. Contrast is all the way up and brightness is as far as I am willing to go, yet the blacks are greyish and the whole image just looks washed out. Before I put them out to trash does this sound like these two are on the outs? My Samsung SyncMaster 760V 4:3 LCD monitor looks light years better.

IMG_1574.jpg
Filename
IMG_1574.jpg
File size
63.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by liqmat on 2018-08-21, 20:37. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 9527 of 27363, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like a capacitor issue, or the CCFL tubes that are in the displays are fading. My dad had a Sceptre 20.1" monitor that suffered that as well.

Reply 9528 of 27363, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I have a feeling these two monitors were dropped off at the computer store where I picked them up for this very reason. The smaller black monitor is an Everex and the larger white monitor is a KDS so not fantastic brands. Out to the trash they go. I had to check them out since they were free. At least I got a 16-bit ISA NIC out of the visit.

Reply 9529 of 27363, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My retro activity today was looking for old computers/parts.. I always take specific routes to/from work on trash days for various neighborhoods. I've only been lucky a few times. But today I was driving and noticed a barn open that was full of random odds and ends and a few tables set up out front. I stopped in and it appeared they're having a sale on all the stuff in it. I saw someone in the barn organizing things and I asked if stuff was on sale, or if it was private. Turns out, yes, it is going to be a sale soon. I then proceeded to ask if there was any old computer equipment. Answer: "Yes, we have A LOT" --> *person points over in the corner* "Most of it is just $5 since it is so old". 😲 😲 😲 🤣 😊 😵 Stacks of old beige cases galore, monitors, games, accessories, etc. All of it looks like new. Like enough stuff to where I would have to probably fill up my Hummer H1 two or three times to get it all.

So... it looks like I may just have to stop there before work the morning it opens. I couldn't get up close to it to see what it all was, but I recognized some cases with turbo buttons and turbo displays with AT power switches. It looks extremely promising. I learned from the individual at the barn that it was all personal donations from church members that are raising money for their congregation, so likely not just generic no-name computer items. 😎

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 9530 of 27363, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another post from me with borderline retro stuff.

Earlier I posted a picture in the "bought stuff" thread showing a Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 that had gotten beat up in shipping because of shoddy packaging (to put it mildly).

A capacitor had gotten torn off and the heat pipe cooling was bent and skewed in all kind of ways and directions.

As I got a partial refund it's now time to test the motherboard to see if it's still working or if fighting for a return of the board and a full refund would have been a better option.

With the heat pipe cooling removed and with some of the dirt brushed off the board dosn't look that bad. The capacitor that got torn off dosn't look crucial.

Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 v1.0.jpg
Filename
Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 v1.0.jpg
File size
1.93 MiB
Views
File license

I forgot to take a picture of the heat pipe cooling before I got it unbent and aligned but this is how it turned out. I also did a quick "Jörgen tuning" and removed some clutter.

Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 heat pipe cooling.jpg
Filename
Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 heat pipe cooling.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license

Gigabyte thought it a good idea to glue this contraption to the back of the motherboard... It's in the way of the back plate for my CPU cooler... More "Jörgen tuning".

Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 Crazycool backplate.jpg
Filename
Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 Crazycool backplate.jpg
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File license

Without Gigabytes "Crazycool backplate" the pushpins holding down the north bridge heat sink part of the heat pipe cooling are too long... No worries I have ball bearings...

Two ball bearings.jpg
Filename
Two ball bearings.jpg
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license

To be continued.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 9531 of 27363, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote:

My retro activity today was looking for old computers/parts.. I always take specific routes to/from work on trash days for various neighborhoods. I've only been lucky a few times. But today I was driving and noticed a barn open that was full of random odds and ends and a few tables set up out front. I stopped in and it appeared they're having a sale on all the stuff in it. I saw someone in the barn organizing things and I asked if stuff was on sale, or if it was private. Turns out, yes, it is going to be a sale soon. I then proceeded to ask if there was any old computer equipment. Answer: "Yes, we have A LOT" --> *person points over in the corner* "Most of it is just $5 since it is so old". 😲 😲 😲 🤣 😊 😵 Stacks of old beige cases galore, monitors, games, accessories, etc. All of it looks like new. Like enough stuff to where I would have to probably fill up my Hummer H1 two or three times to get it all.

So... it looks like I may just have to stop there before work the morning it opens. I couldn't get up close to it to see what it all was, but I recognized some cases with turbo buttons and turbo displays with AT power switches. It looks extremely promising. I learned from the individual at the barn that it was all personal donations from church members that are raising money for their congregation, so likely not just generic no-name computer items. 😎

Have fun.

Reply 9532 of 27363, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Spent some time cleaning up two systems from yesterdays haul:

IMG_0543s.jpg
Filename
IMG_0543s.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license

Yes, rather messy in here atm.
Dell XPS R350 P2 350, cleaned up nicely.

IMG_0571s.jpg
Filename
IMG_0571s.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license

Acer Acermate 386SX/20N, got upgraded from 3 to 5mb ram in the process 😀 I really like this one.

IMG_0569s.jpg
Filename
IMG_0569s.jpg
File size
1020.92 KiB
Views
File license

It came with an awesome startup menu 😎

IMG_0562s.jpg
Filename
IMG_0562s.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 9533 of 27363, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's quite a haul! And I agree, that Acer looks excellent, is the boot menu just an autoexec menu?

Today, I got an AT case, which was sold as just a PC chips motherboard, so it's not like I can complain to the seller about this - but the case is fairly badly damaged.
Three and a half of the screw posts are snapped off and there are two other broken bits of plastic. The plastic motherboard standoffs are broken and some of the RAM is half out of its slots? This case had a rough trip 🙁

marcus1.jpg
Filename
marcus1.jpg
File size
749.92 KiB
Views
File license

I'm gving this method a go - dangerous smelling plastic solvent glue from Wickes, it's apparently Methyl Ethyl Ketone based but much less fluid, seemingly it has a bit of plastic in the solution:

marcus5.jpg
Filename
marcus5.jpg
File size
763.7 KiB
Views
File license

I used a lot of this stuff, I guess I will find out very soon whether that's a good idea or not...

marcus3.jpg
Filename
marcus3.jpg
File size
818.77 KiB
Views
File license

This split on the side proved very difficult to hold in place - I have another case with similar damage so I'm really hoping this glue bonds when clamped like this

marcus6.jpg
Filename
marcus6.jpg
File size
495.05 KiB
Views
File license

Edit: This worked really well! The broken off pieces of plastic are now securely back in place and with it sanded down, it's very hard to tell there was a crack there at all.
I'm not 100% sure the screw mounts are very solid, but that's less of a big deal because there are secondary pegs there that can fit screws.

Reply 9534 of 27363, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

Sounds like a capacitor issue, or the CCFL tubes that are in the displays are fading. My dad had a Sceptre 20.1" monitor that suffered that as well.

Those are CRT displays. They don't use CCFL lighting.

Caps are a perishable item and should be checked, but it's pretty common for the phosphor coating on the tube to degrade and require a boost in electron current.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9535 of 27363, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Caps are a perishable item and should be checked, but it's pretty common for the phosphor coating on the tube to degrade and require a boost in electron current.

I didn't see the photo of the monitors after I replied. I thought they were LCD monitors at first.

Reply 9536 of 27363, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

I didn't see the photo of the monitors after I replied. I thought they were LCD monitors at first.

Yes. My fault. I reposted the photos after my comment. Regardless, I have so much on my plate at this point those went to the trash. Just not worth my time. I have to let some things go.

Reply 9537 of 27363, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed my new Dreamblaster S1 onto a Yamaha Audician 32 Plus sound card. Kudos to Luckybob for the sound card! This is for my Pentium 100 build I am currently restoring and then using for the Cardinal SNAPplus Youtube demo.

IMG-1571.JPG
Filename
IMG-1571.JPG
File size
959.66 KiB
Views
File license

This is what trash day is looking like. Goodbye faded image monitors and goodbye gutted cases. Don't freak out on the beige case. It is gutted and cracked and all kinds of screwed up and not worth saving. All the Dell OptiPlex GX150s are completely gutted and all the parts are going to new homes.

IMG-1575.JPG
Filename
IMG-1575.JPG
File size
972.65 KiB
Views
File license
IMG-1576.JPG
Filename
IMG-1576.JPG
File size
961.7 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by liqmat on 2018-08-22, 07:39. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 9538 of 27363, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:

Installed my new Dreamblaster S1 onto a Yahama Audician 32 Plus sound card. Kudos to Luckybob for the sound card! This is for my Pentium 100 build I am currently restoring and then using for the Cardinal SNAPplus Youtube demo.

That S1 is so little! I have a couple of those OPLSAx cards and some capacitors to try this mod on one rainy day:

Yamaha YMF71x SB Pro Mixer Bug Issue Fix

And also an alternative util for setting them up:

T-04YBSC-A, new YMF71x based sound card + SETYMF utility

Fun!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9539 of 27363, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is the rest of yesterdays post that I diddn't have time to complete before going to bed.

The ball bearings mounted on the push pins! Buying new shorther push pins costing 4 cents each would have been too easy.

Well they are rather small ball bearings.jpg
Filename
Well they are rather small ball bearings.jpg
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license

The board looks great with the heat pipe cooling mounted correctly, well except for the missing cap...

Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 v1.0 with the heat pipe cooling mounted.jpg
Filename
Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 v1.0 with the heat pipe cooling mounted.jpg
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license

...and this corner as it's also kind of missing.

Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 v1.0 missing corner.jpg
Filename
Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 v1.0 missing corner.jpg
File size
884.58 KiB
Views
File license

The motherboard and CPU ended up working just fine though.

Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 v1.0 PC Health Status.jpg
Filename
Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 v1.0 PC Health Status.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.