VOGONS

Reply 9640 of 27364, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally tested out my dirty AWE64 Gold that I received a while back in my Pentium machine (even after three isopropyl alcohol spray-downs and some lovin' with Q-tips and compressed air, it still isn't 100% clean; oh well). Thankfully, it works.

BBseOEth.jpg

However, the Cirrus Logic PCI graphics card started acting up today as well, as shown in the picture below:

y4JFJ6pl.jpg

I tried cleaning the card's contacts with some isopropyl-alcohol-tipped Q-tips and re-seating the card, to no avail. Is the poor thing truly dying, and if so, is there anything I could do? 🙁

Last edited by ultra_code on 2018-11-05, 22:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 9641 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Flashed a second GOTEK to the FlashFloppy firmware. Now I have 1 HxC and 2 Flashfloppy GOTEKS. The HxC is serving as a df1: external floppy drive for my A500/ACA500+, the FF ones are in my Roland SD-35 and 486 PC. Life is gud. 😎

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9642 of 27364, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Flashed a second GOTEK to the FlashFloppy firmware. Now I have 1 HxC and 2 Flashfloppy GOTEKS. The HxC is serving as a df1: external floppy drive for my A500/ACA500+, the FF ones are in my Roland SD-35 and 486 PC. Life is gud. 😎

Just curious, which method did you use for the flashing? I recently flashed 2 of these as well. I tried the USB method with the A-to-A cable but it didn't work. The ST software would not recognize either of the 2 Goteks as a valid target. I had to go with the USB-serial method, and even that one was difficult; I had to apply pressure on the PCB in a certain point for the method to work, I think the quality of recent Goteks has gone down and the PCBs have some hardware issues.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9643 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Just curious, which method did you use for the flashing? I recently flashed 2 of these as well. I tried the USB method with the A-to-A cable but it didn't work. The ST software would not recognize either of the 2 Goteks as a valid target. I had to go with the USB-serial method, and even that one was difficult; I had to apply pressure on the PCB in a certain point for the method to work, I think the quality of recent Goteks has gone down and the PCBs have some hardware issues.

I soldered on the missing headers and used a USB-TTL adapter. the USB A-A cable thing did not work for me either, but I guess it was due to cheap chinese cables.

Reply 9644 of 27364, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
stamasd wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

I soldered on the missing headers and used a USB-TTL adapter. the USB A-A cable thing did not work for me either, but I guess it was due to cheap chinese cables.

Hm. It's probably not the cable as I used a good quality A-A cable. Interesting. So the serial method is the only one that works in recent Goteks.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9645 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't know if that is certainly true but I couldn't get it recognized with my PC; it may have to do with USB drivers etc. as well..

Reply 9646 of 27364, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got hold a cheap LCD monitor, Amstrad PC works fine with it, the Dell and Tiny PCs give no image. I also remembered my current gen PC actually has a built in VGA port so I tried that with my Trinitron and again everything worked fine. So at least the CRT is OK, it just means I have two duff PCs. If nothing else I can harvest them for parts while I wait for my Abit KT7 to arrive.

The LCD is 1024x768 and give a surprisingly nice image at that resolution. I'm quite impressed.

I've also been trying my hand at mapping with Akalabeth. Not made my way past level 4 of a dungeon yet and quickly realised I'd be better of with a pencil rather than a pen; so far it's been good fun (when I'm not falling through multiple trap doors to my doom that is 😵).

Reply 9647 of 27364, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Putting together a Pentium 90. Just now playing with the LCD-Display.

WP_20180903_001.jpg
Filename
WP_20180903_001.jpg
File size
526.47 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

While i'm waiting for a Slot-A heatsink for this newly bought board+cpu:

WP_20180903_002.jpg
Filename
WP_20180903_002.jpg
File size
812 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9648 of 27364, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
McBierle wrote:

<snip>

WP_20180903_002.jpg

Did you also get the GFD?

1982 to 2001

Reply 9649 of 27364, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
McBierle wrote:

<snip>

WP_20180903_002.jpg

Did you also get the GFD?

great minds think alike, eh?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9650 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
McBierle wrote:

Where did you get one? I have an Athlon 700 that needs a Slot-A heatsink..

Reply 9651 of 27364, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
McBierle wrote:

You should be able to also use a SECC1 Pentium 2 heatsink, if I'm not mistaken. Not that those are any easier to find but it might give you some more search options.

1982 to 2001

Reply 9652 of 27364, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
McBierle wrote:

You should be able to also use a SECC1 Pentium 2 heatsink, if I'm not mistaken. Not that those are any easier to find but it might give you some more search options.

+1

I personally use these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-SL2U3-Pentium- … fYAAOSw-ZBZpywP except a briglt BLUE.

You will need a hex-bit to get them off BTW.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9653 of 27364, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed a new facia into the Voodoo 5 Shuttle. The cool thing is now that I designed a template, I can make it whatever design/art/color I want. 😁

rK6k2gKl.jpg

rAEZ6oZl.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 9656 of 27364, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested the C64 by hooking it up to my 43" UHD TV (aspect set to 4:3) to make sure it still works and it does.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9657 of 27364, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote:
Installed a new facia into the Voodoo 5 Shuttle. The cool thing is now that I designed a template, I can make it whatever design […]
Show full quote

Installed a new facia into the Voodoo 5 Shuttle. The cool thing is now that I designed a template, I can make it whatever design/art/color I want. 😁

rAEZ6oZl.jpg

Yikes. Knowing how hot mine gets with just the onboard video I'm guessing you do not want to close that case. Neat system though (& nice job with the front panel!)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 9658 of 27364, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the_ultra_code wrote:

I tried cleaning the card's contacts with some isopropyl-alcohol-tipped Q-tips and re-seating the card, to no avail. Is the poor thing truly dying, and if so, is there anything I could do? 🙁

I'm guessing VRAM, though it could be software. I mean, if you can test it in another machine, that would be a good idea. If it turns out to be the VRAM, it's probably cheaper to replace the card rather than fix it, which is sad.

It is *possible* to fix anything. If I found another identical card, I'd keep the old one for spare parts.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9659 of 27364, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Yikes. Knowing how hot mine gets with just the onboard video I'm guessing you do not want to close that case. Neat system though (& nice job with the front panel!)

It's not bad. Gaming for an hour on Quake 3, it stays around 58C with the case closed.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals