VOGONS

Reply 11160 of 27168, by novasilisko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is exactly the level of sin I strive to achieve in my own PC builds

Phoenix / The Disasterpiece
Processor: Am386DX-40 | Memory: 20 MB | Graphics: Trident TVGA9000B | Sound: TBD | Era: No

Reply 11161 of 27168, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

seeing that gives me the strange desire to watercool my IBM PC-XT...

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 11162 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it a good idea to do that? However, I'd watch a video about that.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 11163 of 27168, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That right there is pure awesomeness.

As for me.. I was hoping that I was missing something about an old HP 4200C scanner and why it wasn't being detected at all by any computer when plugged into the USB port. Sadly, it was completely dead except for a faint glow from the fluorescent bulb so I disassembled it and saved all the circuit boards, screws, and some other bits and pieces and threw the rest in the trash.

Still hoping to get a decently fast 8.5x11 flatbed scanner at some point because the HP AIO I have has about 1/4" it cuts off of two sides when scanning full pages... and it is in the corner where you are supposed to set the paper so it is pretty much impossible to use the flatbed for scanning stuff and getting it straight.

The paper feeder works fine.. but what about scanning stuff that can't be fed through it?

A while back I had an HP 8200 series flatbed and it had the same exact issue of cutting off the scan on the same two edges so I sent it to the thrift store.

I do have a very nice ScanMaker 9800XL which is a tabloid sized CCD flatbed scanner... scans are very excellent, but it is slow.

I also used to have a Canon scanner but it was USB powered and slow as well... scans were really good though. It just took forever.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11164 of 27168, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Is it a good idea to do that? However, I'd watch a video about that.

Probably not. But that won't stop me from doing it!

(IMHO, it probably won't do much other than make noise and take up space in the case. The 8088 doesn't produce enough heat to even warrant using a passive cooler, let alone a liquid cooling system)

Reply 11165 of 27168, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed Windows 3.0a on my IBM 5155 (portable 5150) today. Why? I have no idea. It is so painfully slow. I can't even play solitaire because it's monochrome.
sbWjLKmh.jpg
y4u4iW8h.jpg

Edit: Fixed broken image imbed links

Last edited by dkarguth on 2019-02-14, 15:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11166 of 27168, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
novasilisko wrote:

This is exactly the level of sin I strive to achieve in my own PC builds

Me too, unashamedly. Especially in retro builds I tend to swing from authentic as possible to a balls to the wall, let's see what can be done sort of deal.

I'm seriously considering using this after some modifications. Longer tubing, smaller radiator, new coolant, thicker wiring...

dkarguth wrote:

seeing that gives me the strange desire to watercool my IBM PC-XT...

Alphacool MCX is the perfect solution to watercooling an 8088. 🤣

cyclone3d wrote:

That right there is pure awesomeness.

Thanks 😜

I've been meaning to pick up an old scanner myself. Even a new scanner as well at some point. Old printers are easy, but scanners are proving pretty difficult. My "proper" scanner is just part of a Brother combo unit, it's simply okay. It does the job. Similar issue to yours with being cut off on full pages but I rarely do that.

Reply 11167 of 27168, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Two days ago my overclocked Gecube X1950 Pro started artifacting and causing freezes and rubberbanding in SiN, on the RDD. So today I've took the card out and when I disassembled the heatsink, I noticed that some VRMs both on the front and the back, were not making contact at all with the heatsink, not to mention they were blistering hot to the touch. So, I took some of the thermal pad I have in my archive and put it on the uncooled VRMs to make them contact with the heatsink, replaced the thermal paste on the graphics chip and reassembled everything together. Now the card runs stable without artifacting anymore at the maximum overclock the card can run, 714/796, SiN runs fast and smooth without freezing, and I scored 12938 3DMarks in 3DMark 2003. I also had to replace one of the RAM sticks because for some reason, one of them started to report 256MB instead of 512MB.

EDIT: I have raised the memory clock to 806 and the card is stable, no artifacts. I ran an artifact test for around an hour and then I ran SiN, perfectly fine so now I have reached the maximum overclocking limit on the card with the stock cooler. I will benchmark the card in 3Dmark 2003 tomorrow.

Last edited by looking4awayout on 2019-02-13, 22:37. Edited 1 time in total.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 11168 of 27168, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Amazing job. Now please make one for AT motherboards and post the file 😉

You mean a shield for using an AT board in an ATX case, with cutouts for the keyboard DIN connector, and mounting points for cable connected serial/parallel ports, or something like that?
Perhaps it would even be possible to do something for the PS/2 connector too, would be nice to not have to waste an expansion slot for that. If I remember it right, the screw hole spacing of those connectors seems to be standardized, so it should work.

Thermalwrong wrote:

That's excellent 😁

Well done making that so accurately and thank you for sharing the STL files for it, I have a couple of boards I need to make something similar for, that I'd rather 3D print than try to make myself. Some of the designs on Thingiverse etc are quite good, but yours looks like it's designed very well, so I'll use that instead.
I bought a few blank panels, but cutting the shapes of a few of the ports is too difficult for me.

Hehe, well, turned out quite ok to be a first try at least. Had to keep it simple, used Inventor for the first time a few days ago.
Would recommend the recessed variant by the way, it works better. Attached another variant with the recess widened by 0.2 and deepened by 0.1 mm you might want to try too.

Yeah, metalworking is my thing, spent countless hours in the workshop, and would also say cutting shapes in that thin spring steel sheet would be very difficult without advanced tools.

gdjacobs wrote:

Noice. Any thoughts on an outer conductive coating? Apparently carbon and acrylic are a good, inexpensive solution.

There is conductive 3d printing filament that could be used for this otherwise, might get a spool at some point 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    blankIOwider.zip
    File size
    138.13 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11169 of 27168, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dkarguth wrote:

I installed Windows 3.0a on my IBM 5155 (portable 5150) today. Why? I have no idea. It is so painfully slow. I can't even play solitaire because it's monochrome.

Well technically, you can since you can see the shape of the diamond, hearts, etc. 😀 . I love those old orange screens - much more than the green ones for some reason. Actually very cool to see Windows 3 run on that.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 11171 of 27168, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

You mean a shield for using an AT board in an ATX case, with cutouts for the keyboard DIN connector, and mounting points for cable connected serial/parallel ports, or something like that?
Perhaps it would even be possible to do something for the PS/2 connector too, would be nice to not have to waste an expansion slot for that. If I remember it right, the screw hole spacing of those connectors seems to be standardized, so it should work.

Even if this wasn't what you meant, it's still a good idea. Entertained myself with it during the afternoon, happened to have an empty ATX case and an AT board not in use to experiment with. Even found a PS/2 port bracket to take measurements from. First prototype is printing right now 😀

Went up to 2mm thickness and generally made the construction sturdier, since everything but the AT keyboard port will be mounted directly to the shield. Made cutout indications for 2x DB25, 2x DB9, and 1x PS/2 port in the back side. Left 0.5 mm material, hoping that bridging will be good enough to make the indications invisible from the front side.

Tried to keep the DB9 and DB25 port cutouts as far away from the mobo as possible, those ports tend to take up quite a lot of room inside the case. The PS/2 port location is kind of experimental, hopefully it won't collide with the AT connector. Wanted to keep it away from the mobo too.

Will post the models once I've checked that it works 😀

atio2.PNG
Filename
atio2.PNG
File size
549.97 KiB
Views
File license
atio1.PNG
Filename
atio1.PNG
File size
451.63 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 11172 of 27168, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Testing some hardware. I had an S3-virge325 (from Number 9), S3-Trio64v+, AWE64-Standard and Audician32 running in my Pentium-166 today. I tested with Doom2, Jazz Jackrabit, Monkey Island2, Raptor and Duke3D. I still dislike the AWE64, when I compare it to the Audician32 and for some reason I like the Virge325 better. So the machine ended up getting the Virge and the Audician. I simply can not stand the AWE64 wavetable sound in Doom, and Duke sounds so eccho'ing. It is really a shame. And the Audician32 have a real OPL core, compared to the poor solution that Creative choose. I will leave the Audician in, and when I get the money, then I will buy another Dreamblaster module.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11173 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kaputnik wrote:
Even if this wasn't what you meant, it's still a good idea. Entertained myself with it during the afternoon, happened to have an […]
Show full quote
kaputnik wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Even if this wasn't what you meant, it's still a good idea. Entertained myself with it during the afternoon, happened to have an empty ATX case and an AT board not in use to experiment with. Even found a PS/2 port bracket to take measurements from. First prototype is printing right now 😀

Went up to 2mm thickness and generally made the construction sturdier, since everything but the AT keyboard port will be mounted directly to the shield. Made cutout indications for 2x DB25, 2x DB9, and 1x PS/2 port in the back side. Left 0.5 mm material, hoping that bridging will be good enough to make the indications invisible from the front side.

Tried to keep the DB9 and DB25 port cutouts as far away from the mobo as possible, those ports tend to take up quite a lot of room inside the case. The PS/2 port location is kind of experimental, hopefully it won't collide with the AT connector. Wanted to keep it away from the mobo too.

Will post the models once I've checked that it works 😀

atio2.PNG
atio1.PNG

These were exactly what I had in mind, hope they work out for you (and I can get some printed for myself once you share them *grin*)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 11174 of 27168, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

These were exactly what I had in mind, hope they work out for you (and I can get some printed for myself once you share them *grin*)

Had to do some small modifications to the latching mechanism to make it easier to get the shield in place. Also increased the thickness in the cutout indications from to 0.7 mm, 0.5 mm left some roughness on the front surface, and modified them to be easier to cut out. Printing now, should be ready for testing in an hour or two 😀

atio3.PNG
Filename
atio3.PNG
File size
432.65 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 11175 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now that's something I'm interested in printing myself. The design looks pretty stellar.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 11176 of 27168, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The second test print turned out quite okay, but I'm still not fully satisfied. There's still some surface roughness at the DB ports cutout indications, so tomorrow I'll try to narrow them down a bit and go back to 0.5 mm thickness.

After finding the connector for the PS/2 bracket, it became obvious that it'll never fit above the AT port, got to move it somewhere else.

The modified latching mechanism works very well though 😀

Also got a few other small adjustments in mind.

atio4.jpg
Filename
atio4.jpg
File size
130.22 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by kaputnik on 2019-02-13, 22:55. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 11177 of 27168, by novasilisko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh yeah, I'd definitely be interested in that model. Getting sick of having a big hole in the back of my build, trashy as it may be.

Phoenix / The Disasterpiece
Processor: Am386DX-40 | Memory: 20 MB | Graphics: Trident TVGA9000B | Sound: TBD | Era: No

Reply 11178 of 27168, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was all feeling frisky about putting Noctua coolers on PPros and somebody has to go watercool a Pentium (MMX 200 from the pics?). Run right by me why don't you!?! 😀

Seriously cool, though. I'd do it on my planned moble 486 RGB gaming rig but for the weight.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 11179 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kaputnik wrote:
The second test print turned out quite okay, but I'm still not fully satisfied. There's still some surface roughness at the DB p […]
Show full quote

The second test print turned out quite okay, but I'm still not fully satisfied. There's still some surface roughness at the DB ports cutout indications, so tomorrow I'll try to narrow them down a bit and go back to 0.5 mm thickness.

After finding the connector for the PS/2 bracket, it became obvious that it'll never fit above the AT port, got to move it somewhere else.

The modified latching mechanism works very well though 😀

Also got a few other small adjustments in mind.

atio4.jpg

Amazing! Really looking forward to an STL that I can get a couple of printed locally 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.