VOGONS

Reply 11420 of 27411, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Messing around with the portable computer as parts slowly start to arrive from China. The LCD driver board made the trip to Germany in just 10 days!

Hooked up Delock CF adapter with 16GB Kingston card I still had. The card if recognized, which is good, but the BIOS doesn't automatically detect the optimum geometry. I'll try the configuration with which I got the same card to work on my 486 laptop and hopefully it'll work with this one too.

In other news, I should have never given away my old USB floppy drive. I've tried several different ones since, but they all turned out to be terribly unreliable. I know my disks are also dying on me, but I swear the USB drives fail to write/access, like, 9 out of 10 times...

Reply 11421 of 27411, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found this sucker on some sort of a scrapyard. Already cleaned it a little bit. However the Dallas battery is dead. And here is my problem: When I go into BIOS, I enter all the data (disc parameters, etc..) and I save the settings. But when the computer restarts, it forgets everithing I've entered in the BIOS and puts me again on the first boot screen. So the computer is basically useless. Do I have to replace the dallas battery or is there any easier way out?

Attachments

• komp1.png
    Filename
    komp1.png
    File size
    1.65 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • komp2.png
    Filename
    komp2.png
    File size
    1.24 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_7883.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_7883.JPG
    File size
    569.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_7886.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_7886.JPG
    File size
    706.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_7890.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_7890.JPG
    File size
    389.37 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11422 of 27411, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This has been my experience with most Dallas batteries. It must be replaced to continue.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 11423 of 27411, by twilliamc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Turbo -> wrote:

Do I have to replace the dallas battery or is there any easier way out?

If the motherboard does not have jumpers/pins for an external battery, it will need fixing or replacing. There is a simple fix if you have access to a dremel and soldering iron. A quick google of the number on the chip will lead you to some instructions.

Unnamed: 486DX4 @ 120MHz, 16MB, 2GB, 2MB VGA, SBPro 2.0, DOS/W3.11, W95
PC-65:P3 @ 800MHz x2, 512MB, 128GB SSD, Voodoo3, SB Live!, Win98SE

Reply 11424 of 27411, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Turbo -> wrote:

So the computer is basically useless. Do I have to replace the dallas battery or is there any easier way out?

The proper way..
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/max … 12887-ND/956874 --- Datasheet: https://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1 … 5-DS12C887A.pdf
or
https://www.tindie.com/products/glitchwrks/gw … uct-description

Then there's always the hack-job method of cutting into the existing RTC, which I see a lot of people do but I have no idea why since newly manufactured replaced are still made for $10 each. When desoldering the old one, just install a DIP socket for easy future replacement. I found that going with a new replacement was less money than I spend for lunch at Taco Bell, so it made sense rather than wasting time dremeling an old one out.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 11425 of 27411, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Because some motherboards do not work with the replacement Dallas chips, that's why. I have a couple like that.

You are still correct in 95% of situations though.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11426 of 27411, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spent some quality time with a bunch of Celeron 300A's of the S370 variant.
And i belive i found atleast one little gem:

37XoyQP.png
HDhaDoT.png

On an ABIT BX6-2 with an MSI 6905 v1.1 slotket.
For a reference a P3-700E does the render in 82 seconds.
And a P2-400 does it in 145s.
Cinebench 2003 got 61CB.

Reply 11427 of 27411, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote:

[...]

Then there's always the hack-job method of cutting into the existing RTC, which I see a lot of people do but I have no idea why since newly manufactured replaced are still made for $10 each. When desoldering the old one, just install a DIP socket for easy future replacement. I found that going with a new replacement was less money than I spend for lunch at Taco Bell, so it made sense rather than wasting time dremeling an old one out.

If your board has a DS128(8)7 I'll fully agree, but if it turns out to have a DS1387 your're screwed as they don't make replacements for those. So dremeling (or otherwise mutilating) the old RTC Ramified is the only option.

Reply 11428 of 27411, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@dionb, @luckybob, @wiretap, @twilliamc, @Jed118 - thank you all for your recomandations. I will desolder the dallas chip and will install a DIP socket, that is for sure. And then I will see what will happen with modified dallas battery and what with a new one (ordered from China, that is). Will report.

Reply 11430 of 27411, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Turbo -> wrote:

@dionb, @luckybob, @wiretap, @twilliamc, @Jed118 - thank you all for your recomandations. I will desolder the dallas chip and will install a DIP socket, that is for sure. And then I will see what will happen with modified dallas battery and what with a new one (ordered from China, that is). Will report.

Careful with the Chinese ones.. many people report getting them with a dead battery with a manufacture date of 10+ years ago. 😵

My Github

Reply 11431 of 27411, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Because some motherboards do not work with the replacement Dallas chips, that's why. I have a couple like that.

You are still correct in 95% of situations though.

I know, I looked at the pictures that were posted and responded accordingly. However, I also see many people dremel ones that have a readily available replacement. (on this forum and others)

My Github

Reply 11432 of 27411, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd be perfectly happy paying 10€ for a new replacement chip that will last another decade or has a swappable battery. But unfortunately, on all the websites where I've found one for order, shipping to my corner of Europe would increase the cost by an additional 20€, give or take. Which takes it from a decent idea to a horrible one. Maybe some day I'll have enough stuff to order off Digikey to qualify for free shipping (for orders above 50€) and I'll include a couple DS1287 replacements just to have in reserve, but until such day, dremel and soldering iron it is for me 😀

Reply 11433 of 27411, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:
Turbo -> wrote:

Careful with the Chinese ones.. many people report getting them with a dead battery with a manufacture date of 10+ years ago. 😵

Earlier this year I ordered a Dallas battery from a French ebay seller; I received one from 1996 😵 Naturally I didn't accept that. I don't think that you should buy an original Dallas from ebay, but rather search for a replacement version from a reputable electronics supplier.

Reply 11435 of 27411, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, this wasn't a recent find, but I was passive here in the past few months so I thought I post something

I dug my old basement a couple of weeks ago and brought some of my old shit to a more comfortable area in the house.
One of the recued was this old thing I (re)built about 15 years ago (I think I was still in elementary or 1st year high school) out of literal dumpster found parts and it spent most of these years down there:

rB7tXOIm.jpg bLjeAram.jpg

1. What I can recall about it:
  2. I remember that I installed it with Windows 98
  3. It supposed to have a 100MHz CPU, though I don't know what kind
  4. I was unable to make the mouse work back then

So before I looked into it, it thought when I stored it, it worked so why not just turn it on?

hqdefault.jpg

Okay so it does boot up, but has some serious stability issues.
And as it seems it has an AMD K5, a 1MB Trident VGA card and 32MB RAM and a 3GB HDD.
Well, it seems a bit boring but salvageable. Time to look inside:

sbdjywLm.jpg F4hiIl2m.jpg
ek94nhzm.jpg 9DscySUm.jpg
8MthE6gm.jpg

I think it is a good starting point for a decent Windows 95/DOS PC. I think maybe I should drop in a Mach 64 a Trio64V+ or a Virge instead of the Trident 8900D maybe some sound card like a SB Vibra16 should be good too and not too long ago a coworker dumped on me a network adapter. If it works I might add it to my home network.

CCIQ7p5m.jpg

Sadly I have more projects than time or physical space, but I'm glad this still has some life left in it.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 11437 of 27411, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nothing super special today, but did manage to find and cleanup an AT keyboard. Squeaky clean inside and out. Always can use an additional AT keyboard.

AT_keys.jpg
Filename
AT_keys.jpg
File size
734.38 KiB
Views
File license