Reply 13520 of 27567, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Vegge wrote:
Since I finally got the RAM I just had to boot it. […]
Show full quote

Since I finally got the RAM I just had to boot it.

IMG_4278s.jpg
IMG_4281s.jpg

So yeah, dual P3 733 with 8GB of RAM. Now what? Windows 7? 🤣

Man, you have some serious dual Slot 1 action at your place. IIRC you also grabbed a NOS dual Slot 1 Supermicro board awhile back. Speaking of which, did you ever repair both of those FIC PN-6210 dual Socket 8 boards? Don't recall if you did or not.

Reply 13521 of 27567, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought Coppermine could only cache up to 4GB of RAM (or was that just Katmai)?
Tualatin for sure can cache up to 64GB, but it was designed for servers.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 13522 of 27567, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
Vegge wrote:
Show full quote

IMG_4278s.jpg
IMG_4281s.jpg

Man, you have some serious dual Slot 1 action at your place. IIRC you also grabbed a NOS dual Slot 1 Supermicro board awhile back. Speaking of which, did you ever repair both of those FIC PN-6210 dual Socket 8 boards? Don't recall if you did or not.

More like XP. I don't believe 7 can handle this...

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 13524 of 27567, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ShovelKnight wrote:

Was testing my new (to me) VIA EPIA 800 Mini-ITX motherboard.

It's amazingly DOS friendly and even the built-in Ethernet has a packet driver for DOS.

The built-in VGA is pretty horrible (the picture is a bit blurry and it's not fast) but there is a PCI slot. Curiously, the board didn't want to POST with a GeForce 2MX PCI. It posted with an S3 Trio.

That's interesting, I had the same issue on mine with a GF4 MX4000. I thought it was due to an iffy BIOS flash on my part, but I haven't investigated further.

Vegge wrote:

Since I finally got the RAM I just had to boot
[...]

That's pretty damn cool. DDR1?
There's an unofficial PAE patch for 32-bit WIn7 to allow it to access more than 4GB RAM if you want to go that route. Otherwise AFAIK Win2K Advance Server should support it, or almost any version of Linux.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 13525 of 27567, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:
Vegge wrote:
Show full quote

IMG_4278s.jpg
IMG_4281s.jpg

One of them is working. TBH I haven't even looked at the other one yet. The one with the overheating issue. I've been really busy with my other hobbies. 😀

luckybob wrote:

Man, I really want to get one of those dual Tyan boards.

IKR, I have another older Tyan Dual slot 1 board with 72-pin memory and 66MHz bus. IIRC you have that one to, with suspected broken BIOS?

xjas wrote:

That's pretty damn cool. DDR1?
There's an unofficial PAE patch for 32-bit WIn7 to allow it to access more than 4GB RAM if you want to go that route. Otherwise AFAIK Win2K Advance Server should support it, or almost any version of Linux.

No, good ol 168p SDRAM. Getting 1GB sticks for a reasonable price was just pure luck. Yeah I was thinking WIN7 just for the heck of it. Didn't early XP support PAE? But WIN2KAS seems more fitting.

Reply 13526 of 27567, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

That's interesting, I had the same issue on mine with a GF4 MX4000. I thought it was due to an iffy BIOS flash on my part, but I haven't investigated further.

By the way, I should probably flash the latest BIOS and try again.

Last edited by ShovelKnight on 2019-11-24, 19:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13527 of 27567, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

But if it's broken, someone must be able to repair it. So even a service partner or Microsoft itself would have to crack-open it for a repair. How stupid is this? It's like having a car with a hood that can not be opened by the owner, because the manufacturer welded it.

Indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YVTXG5-8h0

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 13528 of 27567, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

UMBARIES.JPG
It doesn't actually give UMBs yet (but all the preps for it are done, MSD for example sees the upper memory as RAM now according to how I have confed things) but that will be done tomorrow. And then I'll do more chipsets too when all the bugs get fixed.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 13529 of 27567, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That looks pretty stellar.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 13530 of 27567, by UpNorth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to troubleshoot a beautiful 486 Soyo VLB motherboard which USED to work. I tried literally everything short of throwing it in the oven. I won't do that, but I am quite sad. It used to work so nicely, and buying an equivalent PCB now would cost a pretty penny (including shipping). I may produce a post somewhere around here, to pool the collective wisdom. Retro computing seems quite saddening to me, at the moment. This is already the 2nd item that used to work, which is now inoperable - the other is a nice 8-bit ISA VGA card. Also quite precious.

Reply 13531 of 27567, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which issue is your board facing?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 13532 of 27567, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today was time for a little upgrade:

BiVWU2ql.jpg

And now in my 486 Dell Optiplex 425s/L:

8r4MbZKl.jpg

No issues, all working fine. "Compatible speed" mode in the BIOS still brings down performance to that of a 25MHz 386DX - so at least that hasn't changed. I think this is about the last upgrade I'll do for this PC, unless by some miracle I ever come across the VLB riser and/or L2 cache board.

Reply 13534 of 27567, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

@PTherapist

What system is that? it looks VERY familiar.

A pic of it I grabbed off the net:

NiZsNrPl.jpg

It's a Dell Optiplex 425s/L (originally equipped with an Intel 486 SX 25MHz CPU, which I initially upgraded to an AMD DX40 running at 33MHz). LPX form factor, with a riser containing 3x ISA slots.

Reply 13536 of 27567, by UpNorth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

It's not working at all. I tried it with a Trident ISA card and two different VLB graphics cards. All three graphics cards work, as I tested them on another VLB motherboard. I also tried two different CPUs (Intel DX2 66MHz and AMD Am486 80MHz), both CPUs were also tested as working with the other motherboard. I tried swapping the RAMs, I tried disabling part of the cache, all to no avail. And as I said, the motherboard was stored after I have successfully used it for a while in the very same configuration that now is not working.

Reply 13537 of 27567, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
North_Computers wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

It's not working at all. I tried it with a Trident ISA card and two different VLB graphics cards. All three graphics cards work, as I tested them on another VLB motherboard. I also tried two different CPUs (Intel DX2 66MHz and AMD Am486 80MHz), both CPUs were also tested as working with the other motherboard. I tried swapping the RAMs, I tried disabling part of the cache, all to no avail. And as I said, the motherboard was stored after I have successfully used it for a while in the very same configuration that now is not working.

Old hardware can be weird, in my experience. Either it works fine after giving you problems for a while, or it stops working despite being just fine a few minutes ago.

Reply 13538 of 27567, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RetroLizard wrote:
North_Computers wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Old hardware can be weird, in my experience. Either it works fine after giving you problems for a while, or it stops working despite being just fine a few minutes ago.

my Macintosh Performa 6200CD was working when i bought it from ebay, but after a couple weeks, it just suddenly stopped working, no chime, nothing. same with a MSI KT4A-V Socket 462 board, it just stopped posting out of the blue one day when i was going to use it.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 13539 of 27567, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I faced a similar issue with a MacBook Pro 2010 - but to be honest, someone (not me, thanks God) spilled water on it... I assume the logic board fried.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!