User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-06-24, 09:17:
...aaand it's gone :( […]
Show full quote
dionb wrote on 2020-06-24, 06:08:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-06-23, 23:52:

That's sweet looking. And I love the dual golden orbs. How does the system perform?

Haven't had time to thoroughly test it yet - basically just transplanted the guts of a system I picked up recently into this case - but I don't think I've ever seen Windows XP boot so fast. That Atlas 10k drive is a beast. Talking of beasts, the noise the system makes is something else. Remarkably the worst of it isn't the HDDs but the two orbs. A nice beige fan controller is on the shopping list too, particularly given all those (6 in total) case fans. They can get some impressive airflow going at slow speeds.

...aaand it's gone 🙁

Or rather: those high speeds are gone. Reason was clean WinXP install without service packs. That was a nice snappy OS back in 2001. I made the mistake of hooking it up to my LAN without explicitly disabling internet access. XP may be End of Support, but Windows Update still triggers and downloads what is available. Leaving you with an equally vulnerable system, but now with lots of extra bloat 😦

Time to install Windows 2000...

You could just reinstall XP and turn off automatic updates, unless you really want 2000 for some reason. Depending on your use case, they are virtually indistinguishable.

Personally, I see no point in fully updating XP (or any pre-7 Windows for that matter) these days. Then again, I would never think of using any such system online, but I can only speak for myself.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 16001 of 27362, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some software requires specific XP service packs. If you intend to use your XP system broadly then you really can't get away without installing the service packs.

Reply 16002 of 27362, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh for sure. Sorry I was not clear, I meant updating beyond SP3. I always install SP3 and install anything I need (.net and whatnot), but letting Windows Update download and install stuff? nah

Reply 16004 of 27362, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
slivercr wrote on 2020-06-24, 14:36:

[...]

You could just reinstall XP and turn off automatic updates, unless you really want 2000 for some reason. Depending on your use case, they are virtually indistinguishable.

Personally, I see no point in fully updating XP (or any pre-7 Windows for that matter) these days. Then again, I would never think of using any such system online, but I can only speak for myself.

As pointed out, some XP software requires/assumes service packs, and XP with SPs bloats hugely, making it slower, particularly on older systems, than 2k. 2k boots slower, but runs faster, even with all its SPs installed.

I wouldn't want to go online with old crap like this anyway, just want LAN connectivity. Haven't gotten around to sorting out some VLANs to avoid exactly what happened here yet. Maybe I will after this.

Reply 16005 of 27362, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Spent the last 3 evenings trying to boot up my Asus P2B-LS rev. 1.03, but with no luck.
This board is playing dead with me. All the chips on the board are getting worm, not hot, just the normal worm, but the board just doesn't give any sign of life. No POST, no beeps, nothing... I've tried several PII cpus, several modules of SDRAM - PC66, PC100, PC133, ECC, server RAM. Disabled onboard LAN and SCSI, resetted the CMOS, changed the battery...
The board visualy looks like new, no blown caps, no missing smd's...
So, should I just give up? Do I have any other options?

Reply 16009 of 27362, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My P2B-F does the same thing. Apparently, I heard that caps need to be replaced. I've had it where it'll have 1 long beep repeating and none after that. My POST card gets power, which is good and shows 00-C1 on the display, indicating something's wrong (bad RAM, but all of my RAM sticks work in other machines from my Socket 7 to early Pentium 4 that uses SD-RAM).

So recapping the board would suffice, plus my board is in good shape, but I beg to differ on the Celeron 400 (might as well get a Pentium II 400 and see what happens).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 16010 of 27362, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I made this today, my homemade TL-866:

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It took about 6 hours of soldering and debugging 😉

It didn't came out as good as I expected, but at least I've learned how to read BIOS chips.

bearking wrote on 2020-06-24, 16:06:
Spent the last 3 evenings trying to boot up my Asus P2B-LS rev. 1.03, but with no luck. This board is playing dead with me. All […]
Show full quote

Spent the last 3 evenings trying to boot up my Asus P2B-LS rev. 1.03, but with no luck.
This board is playing dead with me. All the chips on the board are getting worm, not hot, just the normal worm, but the board just doesn't give any sign of life. No POST, no beeps, nothing... I've tried several PII cpus, several modules of SDRAM - PC66, PC100, PC133, ECC, server RAM. Disabled onboard LAN and SCSI, resetted the CMOS, changed the battery...

Make sure the CPU makes proper contact in the slot. Double check the FSB settings as well.

Reply 16011 of 27362, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately after removing the KBC socket from my GMB-486SG v1.1 I couldn't find any broken trace/via ...

Well I think I'll have to try a test ROM and if nothing works I'll desolder anything of interest from this board and recycle the rest ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 16012 of 27362, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2020-06-24, 15:57:
slivercr wrote on 2020-06-24, 14:36:

[...]

As pointed out, some XP software requires/assumes service packs, and XP with SPs bloats hugely, making it slower, particularly on older systems, than 2k. 2k boots slower, but runs faster, even with all its SPs installed.

I wouldn't want to go online with old crap like this anyway, just want LAN connectivity. Haven't gotten around to sorting out some VLANs to avoid exactly what happened here yet. Maybe I will after this.

Agree and Agree.

While I personally prefer Windows 2000 SP4 + BWC + a few updates - even with BWC you can run XP SP3 software, if you do insist in XP SP3, you can just get a few security updates and call it a day - I'd also change the theme completely to look like Windows 2000. Disabling their fisher price theme to use the classic theme makes things a bit faster, too. I have a XP SP3 + Inexperience Patcher virtual machine for a few early 2000 games, and it runs lightning fast now while it keeps the classic beautiful UI.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 16014 of 27362, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-06-24, 15:57:

It should not run noticeably slower on a dual P3-933 with 1 GB of RDRAM —presumably—1.5 GB of RDRAM. That system is almost a carbon copy of one of mine and a fresh XP SP3 is not noticeably slower than a fresh SP4 install of 2000.

EDIT: saw specs and corrected.
EDIT2: what slowed you down after the updates is, I would guess, the Internet Explorer update.

Last edited by slivercr on 2020-06-24, 18:45. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 16015 of 27362, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-06-24, 16:29:

My P2B-F does the same thing. Apparently, I heard that caps need to be replaced. I've had it where it'll have 1 long beep repeating and none after that. My POST card gets power, which is good and shows 00-C1 on the display, indicating something's wrong (bad RAM, but all of my RAM sticks work in other machines from my Socket 7 to early Pentium 4 that uses SD-RAM).

So recapping the board would suffice, plus my board is in good shape, but I beg to differ on the Celeron 400 (might as well get a Pentium II 400 and see what happens).

Eventually I will recap the whole board, but on the weekend. It has around 25 caps...

Reply 16016 of 27362, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-06-24, 17:12:
I made this today, my homemade TL-866: […]
Show full quote

I made this today, my homemade TL-866:

1.jpg

2.jpg

It took about 6 hours of soldering and debugging 😉

It didn't came out as good as I expected, but at least I've learned how to read BIOS chips.

bearking wrote on 2020-06-24, 16:06:
Spent the last 3 evenings trying to boot up my Asus P2B-LS rev. 1.03, but with no luck. This board is playing dead with me. All […]
Show full quote

Make sure the CPU makes proper contact in the slot. Double check the FSB settings as well.

Hey, nice work!
My next step with this board is to clean it with some IPA... maybe it hepls...

Reply 16018 of 27362, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I signed the fucking lease contract for my new home/apartment. Ohhhh YEAH.... Then I paid 4 times rent as deposit. I was even asked if I wanted the keys today!! Wow! I have only rented from the first of next month. This is so freaking awesome. Welcome to northern jutlandian island. Yes. Top of Denmark is an island.

I was even alowed to move my stuff in, on saturday. Even more awesomme. Though I am not alowed to live there before the first. Wonderfull gesture from the landlord.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16019 of 27362, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still struggling to get those POS plastic standoffs out of a motherboard. Can't find the good pliers so instead I'm resorting to other utilities.

Can never get them out without having the standoff break