Reply 16101 of 27422, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-07-05, 02:27:

Xtree. Had this on old PCeazy.

Cheers,

🤣 I always like Xtree on my DOS machines. Upped the CT stuff to our library, only covers some 50 of the CT1320 thru CT3990 cards if someone needs them.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 16102 of 27422, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I received my Stealth 24 ISA video card a few days back.

Was very disappointed in the display output originally .... very dark.

After much research, I deduced that the RAMDAC wasn't getting the correct reference for creating the RGB signals. Generic comments on the internet suggested it was a voltage reference, but after working out that my RAMDAC - Diamond SS2410 is a rebaded MU9C1880 DAC, I was able to find the datasheet.

From the datasheet, I found that it actually is a current drain called IREF, rather than a voltage reference, and that it would typically connect to a regulator with a resistor across it's pins. I found the regulator hiding behind the VGA plug, and looked at the resistors nearby. Measuring the resistor behind the regulator resulted in a very high resistance. Not convinced at first that this was the problem, I decided to touch up the solder in case it was just a cracked pad. However, when touching up the solder the resistor fell apart, signalling that it might have been the problem.

To test this, I plugged it back in, and sure enough, the picture was still way dark.

Next step was to find what size the resistor was meant to be - 1820 seemed to be the code on the original from photos I could find online. That is 182 ohm.

To replace the broken resistor, I started testing out resistors on an old winmodem card with similarish size resistors. I found and started out with a 1k ohm resistor ... not too low, didn't want to cook anything incase I was wrong about the original's markings. It seemed a bit brighter when I plugged it in, but not really much difference. But there was no fire or bright sparks, so onward I went. After accidentally putting a 1.5k ohm resistor in I thought was 250 ohm, I found what I was after, a 180 ohm resistor. So I took it off the old winmodem and soldered it onto the Diamond Stealth 24 ISA card.

Now with a pretty close to correct resistor in (177ohm, within typical spec) place, the display output has been restored to pretty much correct brightness. No longer are whites a dark, muddy grey!

s3diamond.jpg
Filename
s3diamond.jpg
File size
1.78 MiB
Views
File comment
Look, I bodged it on!
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Admittedly, it is a pretty bodge install of that resistor ... but I don't have a hot air gun to even it out and don't really want to mess around with the pads too much otherwise it far too easy to start lifting them or start destroying the components!

Now to chase down the ebay seller for selling a junky card to me saying it worked perfectly!

Reply 16103 of 27422, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rebuilt 90% of a PCChips M577 mobo. Had missing caps, coils, RTC coin holder, missing AT P8+P9 connector, floppy and LPT headers.
Sadly no dice:

- ATX power doesn't work (won't turn on)
- AT power works but no POST
- CPU heats up (P233MMX)

If anyone has any ideas what to do next, please tell me.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 16104 of 27422, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote on 2020-07-05, 17:40:
Rebuilt 90% of a PCChips M577 mobo. Had missing caps, coils, RTC coin holder, missing AT P8+P9 connector, floppy and LPT headers […]
Show full quote

Rebuilt 90% of a PCChips M577 mobo. Had missing caps, coils, RTC coin holder, missing AT P8+P9 connector, floppy and LPT headers.
Sadly no dice:

- CPU heats up (P233MMX)

Get a POST diagnostic card and see what it points to .

Reply 16105 of 27422, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

had some black scuffs on both sides of my dell xps m233s.
some magic eraser got most of them off. probably could have done better but, my arm got tired.

dell.xps.m233s.b.jpg
Filename
dell.xps.m233s.b.jpg
File size
750.56 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
dell.xps.m233s.a.jpg
Filename
dell.xps.m233s.a.jpg
File size
774.06 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 16107 of 27422, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

About cleaning those cases, beside the chemical classic UV treatment, are there any fast and easier things to make them just a bit brighter/cleaned, I don't say like new but at least removing the "darker" shades of white/yellow. In past I had good results with the usual oxigened water and sunlight but I'd need a lot of it to put into something outside and waiting. Any faster cleaning things?

Reply 16108 of 27422, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested a Compaq LTE 5150 (P100-16MB ram-1MB VGA) and found it fully functional, apart from the battery which is, understandably, dead. Fairly snappy machine under Win95, no lock-ups and quite a good screen. I'm not into laptops, but this one might just stay.

Drilled through an RTC Dallas-like module, tomorrow I'll slap the battery holder on to it and hopefully it will revive my OptiALI 1451-based Socket 4 P60.

Reply 16109 of 27422, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-07-05, 19:07:

That case cleaned up beautifully and it doesn't look like it's yellowed at all. I've always liked the looks of those Dell XPS cases.

after looking at the photos i posted, it occured to me that i have a brand new mitsumi floppy drive with a better beige than the alps floppy drive that was installed.
perfect match.

dell.xps.m233s.jpg
Filename
dell.xps.m233s.jpg
File size
293.61 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 16110 of 27422, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote on 2020-07-05, 11:01:
I received my Stealth 24 ISA video card a few days back. […]
Show full quote

I received my Stealth 24 ISA video card a few days back.

Was very disappointed in the display output originally .... very dark.

After much research, I deduced that the RAMDAC wasn't getting the correct reference for creating the RGB signals. Generic comments on the internet suggested it was a voltage reference, but after working out that my RAMDAC - Diamond SS2410 is a rebaded MU9C1880 DAC, I was able to find the datasheet.

From the datasheet, I found that it actually is a current drain called IREF, rather than a voltage reference, and that it would typically connect to a regulator with a resistor across it's pins. I found the regulator hiding behind the VGA plug, and looked at the resistors nearby. Measuring the resistor behind the regulator resulted in a very high resistance. Not convinced at first that this was the problem, I decided to touch up the solder in case it was just a cracked pad. However, when touching up the solder the resistor fell apart, signalling that it might have been the problem.

To test this, I plugged it back in, and sure enough, the picture was still way dark.

Next step was to find what size the resistor was meant to be - 1820 seemed to be the code on the original from photos I could find online. That is 182 ohm.

To replace the broken resistor, I started testing out resistors on an old winmodem card with similarish size resistors. I found and started out with a 1k ohm resistor ... not too low, didn't want to cook anything incase I was wrong about the original's markings. It seemed a bit brighter when I plugged it in, but not really much difference. But there was no fire or bright sparks, so onward I went. After accidentally putting a 1.5k ohm resistor in I thought was 250 ohm, I found what I was after, a 180 ohm resistor. So I took it off the old winmodem and soldered it onto the Diamond Stealth 24 ISA card.

Now with a pretty close to correct resistor in (177ohm, within typical spec) place, the display output has been restored to pretty much correct brightness. No longer are whites a dark, muddy grey!

s3diamond.jpg

Admittedly, it is a pretty bodge install of that resistor ... but I don't have a hot air gun to even it out and don't really want to mess around with the pads too much otherwise it far too easy to start lifting them or start destroying the components!

Now to chase down the ebay seller for selling a junky card to me saying it worked perfectly!

Great story. Somewhat recognizable with a Geforce256 I had, thus without luck. The card was missing some SMD capacitors around a memory chip and was giving artifacts, memory-like. Soldered some caps from a donor speedstar, but no avail...

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 16111 of 27422, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wirerogue wrote on 2020-07-05, 20:32:
after looking at the photos i posted, it occured to me that i have a brand new mitsumi floppy drive with a better beige than the […]
Show full quote
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-07-05, 19:07:

That case cleaned up beautifully and it doesn't look like it's yellowed at all. I've always liked the looks of those Dell XPS cases.

after looking at the photos i posted, it occured to me that i have a brand new mitsumi floppy drive with a better beige than the alps floppy drive that was installed.
perfect match.
dell.xps.m233s.jpg

That drive really is a perfect match nice.

Reply 16112 of 27422, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-07-05, 17:49:
PcBytes wrote on 2020-07-05, 17:40:
Rebuilt 90% of a PCChips M577 mobo. Had missing caps, coils, RTC coin holder, missing AT P8+P9 connector, floppy and LPT headers […]
Show full quote

Sadly no dice:

- CPU heats up (P233MMX)

Get a POST diagnostic card and see what it points to .

And try a lessor cpu like Pentium CPU like P-100. With it missing all those parts would guess the original owner robbed it because it had issues and the parts were worth more to fix a different board than fixing that board.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 16113 of 27422, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
flupke11 wrote on 2020-07-05, 20:08:

Drilled through an RTC Dallas-like module, tomorrow I'll slap the battery holder on to it and hopefully it will revive my OptiALI 1451-based Socket 4 P60.

Hope it works ok ! I always like "fixing" Dallas type RTC's with dead batteries. Very effective when done properly.

Reply 16114 of 27422, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After playing a lot of Dark Forces II these last few days (Currently in level 19), today I decided to try again the original Dark Forces. I had it back in the day, but I remember the control was not awesome. I installed the GOG one (because somehow I no longer have my original CD) and tried it. Sure, I remembered correctly, the controls are not that good. I checked on the internet, and found that someone has recently made an open source utility ( ctpax-cheater.losthost.org/htmldocs/trouble.htm#df ) to patch the dark forces binary file to add some nice features, like mouselook, improved mouse sensitivity, etc. So, after getting the patch, and applying it to the game, it works beautifully. Now the control is very nice, with mouselook support that rivals the best ones available. Hopefully I will be completing this nice game soon.

Reply 16115 of 27422, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Horun - I've tried a P-150 (had that from a long dead Soyo 5TF) , a Cyrix 6x86 non-MMX and still, nada.

What's interesting though is that I measured my caps, coils and regulators. I get all corresponding voltages on regulators and caps (2.8v and 3.3v, former was the MMX CPU VCore and the latter is the SDRAM voltage) but almost nothing on both coils - the highest voltage I've got on them was 0.75, way too low for any CPU related stuff.

I've had boards that had harvested MOSFETs come back to life (Azza PT-5VMD) so this isn't a problem for me. That's why I'm not stopping until I can get this M577 to POST.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 16116 of 27422, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fixed my PVM's BNC video issue using a capacitor, some 22 AWG wire, alligator clips, and a reflow of the solder on the transistor and diode SMTs. Tested it with my Commodore 64 and it got a picture, but my Sony DCR-TRV260 wasn't working with the A/V cable it came with it, but I believe it's because the cable is either having issues or the jack is not working well on the camcorder. However, with the S-video to Composite (or vice versa) adapter works with it and both the camera and Commodore 64 displays a picture. I then connected the wire for the video lead to the BNC in jack, minus the capacitor, and it works.

On one of the Discord servers I go onto in a regular basis, one person pointed out that it could be either bad components or a DC offset and the DC offset must've been the issue this whole time (seller on eBay 4 years ago said it was working, then it stopped, so I bought it for half the price it was originally selling for and didn't bother with it). Also sprayed in some DeoxIt D5 and reflowed the BNC jack as well to play it safe (when I reflowed the diode and transistor that connects to the video jack).

My next step is to do an RGB mod on that unit so that I can connect my Genesis Model 1, SNES, PS1, and/or PS2 to the set, but it'll be complicated and I need to look at the schematics of the PVM's logic board to find the right traces and other items for the signaling for RGB and which ICs to solder to.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 16117 of 27422, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed Need for Speed: Porche Unleashed to my Pentium MMX 266MHz.
I have a bit overkill, GeForce 2 MX 400 PCI in it and the experience is interesting.

The more details i set it to have, the worse the performance. But screen resolution doesn't affect performance at all.
Obviously this computer is heavily CPU bottlenecked. 😜

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 16118 of 27422, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I finally retired an old Lenovo Windows XP laptop I was holding on to because it handled writing images to USB Floppy and the drivers for my EFA Linker 512Mb properly. I set up a VirtualBox Windows XP Mode and set up the proper USB filters, so I can now do all of this from my Ryzen 2600 PC. So good.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16119 of 27422, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still fighting with my VLB IO controller. I think I finally have the beast tamed to where it's not forgetting my HDD every game launch.

Looks like it's jumpers where originally set for 50mhz bus speed. Changing that to 30mhz and one other jumper (1F0/170 to just 1F0 something like that? I forget already!) I *think* has tamed the beast.

I think... hopefully...