VOGONS

Reply 16201 of 27436, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finished a third set of Windows 95 icons, but I gave up on trying to force Windows 95 to recognize user directories in My Computer/Explorer, since Win98 uses a specific DLL for it that doesn't exist in 95.

icxw26.gif
disk.gif

icxw27.gif
disk.gif

icxw28.gif
disk.gif

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 16202 of 27436, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got lucky on first try. Power good signal was connected correctly and I had first light with Deskpro M and boots to dos disk on floppy using Seasonic 650W through rewired adapter!

Yay!

For safety, I used 470 ohm resistor inline with power good wire till I'm sure I'm on correct pin then removed it once I'm sure that works.
Re-pinned a ATX adapter cable extension that is used for driving second PSU on to new pinout for compaq deskpro M. Using the free black and green wires as switch to turn PSU on instead.

I already have the Deskpro M pinout chart made up but it has unknown 2 pins I need to find which one of two is "Power Good" which is part of reset circuit to get computer running once signal asserted high.

Cheers,

Last edited by pentiumspeed on 2020-07-15, 22:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 16203 of 27436, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I just solved the issue of there not being enough power supplies floating around for the Microsoft Sidewinder Forcefeedback Pro joystick. It turns out the power cord to a DirecTV mini-genie (2nd gen) is a suitable source of power for one. These shouldn't be hard to find either.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16204 of 27436, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had given away an old crappy P4 computer 3 years ago to my grandma for some light office work, but she never quite tried to use it until her boyfriend tried to hook it up a few months ago and it randomly crashed. I ended up taking it back to figure out what's wrong with it, but didn't do anything because they ended up just using his much newer (and way better!) Ivy Bridge VAIO laptop.
Anyway, I checked it today just to satisfy my curiosity. It boots to XP fine, responds properly to input, until about a minute later, it freezes. RAM and HDD are just fine after testing them. The motherboard complains of incorrect CPU microcode, so I'm gonna try swapping CPUs tomorrow to see if it changes anything.

Reply 16205 of 27436, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TechieDude wrote on 2020-07-15, 23:45:

I had given away an old crappy P4 computer 3 years ago to my grandma for some light office work, but she never quite tried to use it until her boyfriend tried to hook it up a few months ago and it randomly crashed. I ended up taking it back to figure out what's wrong with it, but didn't do anything because they ended up just using his much newer (and way better!) Ivy Bridge VAIO laptop.
Anyway, I checked it today just to satisfy my curiosity. It boots to XP fine, responds properly to input, until about a minute later, it freezes. RAM and HDD are just fine after testing them. The motherboard complains of incorrect CPU microcode, so I'm gonna try swapping CPUs tomorrow to see if it changes anything.

For sure sounds like a rare instance of (non-OC'd) CPU failure. I've actually only ever killed one CPU at all.

I had this Core2 E7000 series (can't remember the exact model) and I had that thing running in the high 3GHZ range at some unholy voltage and eventually it just outright shat itself. Burned a couple of contacts on the end of the CPU.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16206 of 27436, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Painted my Chieftec Dragon that I moved my 98 rig into beige.

yvils6ag84b51.jpg

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 16208 of 27436, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-07-16, 03:18:

That dragon looks good in beige. Your paint job came out great very smooth and even looking.

Thanks 😀

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 16209 of 27436, by kepstin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-07-10, 06:00:

Also got the AWE64 DOS utilities and drivers installed and got the card to work (missed one of the files in autoexec.bat to add C:\CTCM\CTCM) and the card does work, except the AWE32 music portion acts strange for some odd reason, so I need to get that all sorted out, but the card works regardless.

Apparently some of the AWE64 cards use a slightly different initialization than others, and this can sometimes cause issues with the synth… As a sanity check, it might be good to try initializing the card with UNISOUND instead of CTCM and see if it behaves differently.

I personally mostly use my AWE64G for games that can run in a DOS box in Windows 98, since that way I can use the Windows control panel to load sf2 format soundfonts and get really good GM music in games that support GM. My Simmconn arrived recently but I haven't had a chance to try it yet, need to dig up a 32MB simm from somewhere first…

Reply 16210 of 27436, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll give UniSound a shot with the AWE64 Gold. The card sounds real nice, no doubt.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 16212 of 27436, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroLizard wrote on 2020-07-16, 12:26:

Out of curiosity, where can one buy a legitimate copy of DX-BALL 2 for Windows 98?

Do you need a physical copy? Either way, the author still seems to be running a website. May want to ask them. >> https://classic.blitwise.com/index.html

Reply 16213 of 27436, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I fixed a driver issue with the PCMCIA ports of my thinkpad 560X under Windows 95, then installed "balls of steel" and DX-Ball2 with some add-on levels on it. Played a bit of each then.

Out of curiosity, where can one buy a legitimate copy of DX-BALL 2 for Windows 98?

Not very likely that you can buy the original installers when there is the new steam version, even the official longbow games site mentions that: https://store.steampowered.com/app/922400/DXB … ersary_Edition/

Reply 16215 of 27436, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2020-07-16, 13:29:

Today I fixed a driver issue with the PCMCIA ports of my thinkpad 560X under Windows 95, then installed "balls of steel" and DX-Ball2 with some add-on levels on it. Played a bit of each then.

Not very likely that you can buy the original installers when there is the new steam version, even the official longbow games site mentions that: https://store.steampowered.com/app/922400/DXB … ersary_Edition/

The problem with the Steam version is that the game can't be transferred to a Windows 98 computer and played on there.

Reply 16216 of 27436, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RetroLizard wrote on 2020-07-16, 15:33:

The problem with the Steam version is that the game can't be transferred to a Windows 98 computer and played on there.

Yes, I saw that. I'm afraid there is no legal way to obtain those files anymore 🙁

Reply 16217 of 27436, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2020-07-16, 22:59:
RetroLizard wrote on 2020-07-16, 15:33:

Yes, I saw that. I'm afraid there is no legal way to obtain those files anymore 🙁

That's just sad. 🙁

Reply 16218 of 27436, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welp, thats it! Iv had it with my DataExpert EXP4044 😠

First it had VLB issues, then it had turbo-button crashing, now it has cache issues with more then 8mbs.
Absolutely done pulling this thing apart. Out it goes and in will be a LuckyStar LS486 PCI.

Not necessarily the 94' era system board i hoped for 🙁 But at least its easy to work with.

The only problem: it likes to crash before booting into dos with LBA enabled on my 16gb CF card.
My hunch is that its struggling to deal with a whole 16gb card. its AMI Winbios.

Does anyone know the Cylinders/sectors/etc for a 1.9gb HDD? Me thinks punching those in so it sees no more then 2gigs will work,

Otherwise. I'l just get a 1994 PCI VGA and a SBPRO and toss them in. Get everything else as 94' ish as i can 😜

Reply 16219 of 27436, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided to clean up my ADB keyboards today, mostly because I got bored after a while. The only downside was a few scratched had to be magic erased to the point of the plastic being a little too smooth. Still, you can't beat an old keyboard not looking like someone dropped it out on the road.

First one I did was my Apple Keyboard II, which is sadly one of the Mitsumi models. Still, I kind of love it even if I don't use it any more with my G3.

AKII.jpg
Filename
AKII.jpg
File size
657.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Second is my Power Computing Extended Keyboard. I can't find any apple branded ones locally, but this one does the job quite well. Maybe some day I will find one of the clones this originally shipped with.

PC.jpg
Filename
PC.jpg
File size
775.68 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png