Reply 19540 of 27598, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-07-26, 06:44:
badmojo wrote on 2021-07-26, 06:34:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-07-25, 22:01:

The Weekend is the best time to work on retro computers. ( Saturday and Sunday in America(s) ).

Thanks for the tip - we in the southern hemisphere celebrate weekend on those days too but of course we're back-to-front, so we do Sunday then Saturday.

Well, in his defense it's different in some Islamic countries and Israel. But these posts reaffirm my belief that he is an AI Bot experiment unleashed on VOGONS.

One powered by a 486 SX 33, ironically.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 19541 of 27598, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested the Toshiba Satellite Pro T2150CDT laptop and it works (well, not 100% of the way since the HDD is clicking like mad, but boots up and the CMOS battery is flat). Surprisingly, the rubber thumb pointer that moves the mouse cursor is surprisingly in good shape and not sticking and the plastic is in good shape as well.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19542 of 27598, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm working on several things right now:
- removed dead CMOS batteries from a Toshiba 310CDT laptop today, upgraded the RAM to 64MB while I was at it
- trying to make an IBM Ethernet II PCMCIA card work with DOS in the abovementioned Toshiba. Still have to find the drivers.
- I'm also in the process of restoring a Dolch PAC 386 machine. Not sure what the problem is but the LCD is all white when I turn it on. The computer is half-disassembled at the moment.
- restoring an old Technics SL-PS770D CD player that's skipping and stuttering during playback 😀
- trying to fix two 5.25" floppy drives

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 19543 of 27598, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found a hand scanner with interface card... not sure if I wanna get it set up or not when a reliable ISA system is "finished"... back in the day I really, really wanted a handheld scanner, but I think it was the parallel interfaced one I wanted most. The idea I think was to take it to the library with a laptop and scan pages out of the reference books. The library in question had full shelves of electronic repair manuals at the time, circuits for 30 years worth of TVs VCRs etc. .. but reference only, no loaners. So these days that exercise is a little pointless, since cellphone cams get better page copies, also you can chase down most of the info about current stuff online and the library doesn't seem to have "the good stuff" any more.

I musta grabbed this prior to about 2008 when it was becoming obvious the cams were the way to go, thinking I'd maybe reverse engineer the hookup and make it a parallel or USB interface. Trying to think if there is a niche use for handhelds that would do me any good. Scanning large plans comes to mind, but the distortion of a handheld kinda breaks the concept of having an accurate plan copy. Also I think the way that old software works, it would probably overflow the image buffer and crash it if you went more than a couple of feet on a strip. So it's weird, a hand scanner would have been part of my ideal 90s setup, but now seems pretty useless and just a chore to use it for anything there's better options for.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19544 of 27598, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Going through my modest ram stash and labeling the bags...😉

Attachments

• IMAG0044.JPG
    Filename
    IMAG0044.JPG
    File size
    459.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-07-26, 18:38. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 19545 of 27598, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just gave me shivers thinking about hand scanners - you never got dead straight scans or ones that weren't stretched/squashed 😀

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 19546 of 27598, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SteveC wrote on 2021-07-26, 16:59:

Just gave me shivers thinking about hand scanners - you never got dead straight scans or ones that weren't stretched/squashed 😀

and then the real horror reveals itself. pen scanners.

hell = hey there man! do you mind scanning in this 600 page manual with that pen scanner. thanks a bunch.

sunday.jpg
Filename
sunday.jpg
File size
15.86 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 19547 of 27598, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I too had a severe craving for those pen scanners back in the day. But money was short... I think the hype was was because of som advertisement I saw in a magazine or rather we saw, me and my best friend who hyped everything except Macintosh things..

Reply 19548 of 27598, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2021-07-26, 06:34:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-07-25, 22:01:

The Weekend is the best time to work on retro computers. ( Saturday and Sunday in America(s) ).

Thanks for the tip - we in the southern hemisphere celebrate weekend on those days too but of course we're back-to-front, so we do Sunday then Saturday.

I do Sunday to Saturday, with the occasional couple of hours sleep 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 19549 of 27598, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been reorganising my collection - bought loads of metal, boltless shelving (hey - I'm proudly single, so nobody to complain that I bought so much that it blocks out most daylight and was never meant to be anything other than strong and practical!). Toow me a weekend to put it up in the sitting room. Still need more for the cupboard and bedroom 😀

"Before" shots of the sitting room are attached. I'll post "after" shots and before/after shots of the rest of the warehouse I live in as things progress. I stand a chance of putting a bunch of systems together when it's a little more organised 😀

Attachments

• IMG_0753.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0753.JPG
    File size
    174.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0752.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0752.JPG
    File size
    140.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0751.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0751.JPG
    File size
    110.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0750.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0750.JPG
    File size
    164.29 KiB
    Views
    File license

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 19550 of 27598, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-26, 16:06:

Mine are semi ordered... is there a prize for the largest collection of 256MB DDR sticks? I might have a chance... okay I probably can't even fill a lunch box, but I feel like they're breeding, it's like every random component buy comes with 3 more of them. Can you get DIMM stackers for DDR? 🤣

On the other hand, I might just have enough now to find one or two that that nForce board that hates me likes.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19551 of 27598, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have finally gotten the PiStorm up and running with everything that I see a need for. I renamed the hostname of the Linux subsystem to "1234usmc" (One, two, three, four, united states marine corp". Just for the laugh of it)

I have enabled SSH on it, so I can SSH into the PI with Midnight Commander and move HDD files or kickstart roms directly. There are also an A314 library in the system, that will allow me to transfer files to a folder that Workbench can see. Making file transfer easy. And it will give Linux command line in a window on Workbench. I will keep away from RTG setup, as I will still need 15khz for gaming. That is what the RGBtoHDMI adaptor is for. So far I am really happy with this setup, running with 128mb of FastRam.

Next step, is to test the compatibility with this solution. And that is what the ready made HDF file with WHD-Loader ready made that I downloaded is for. I plan on returning to my ATX64 machine in the next week or so.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 19552 of 27598, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-26, 21:10:

Mine are semi ordered... is there a prize for the largest collection of 256MB DDR sticks? I might have a chance... okay I probably can't even fill a lunch box, but I feel like they're breeding, it's like every random component buy comes with 3 more of them. Can you get DIMM stackers for DDR? 🤣

On the other hand, I might just have enough now to find one or two that that nForce board that hates me likes.

I do have few DDRs and other stuff....😀

Attachments

• 20130123_063409.jpg
    Filename
    20130123_063409.jpg
    File size
    771.64 KiB
    Views
    File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 19553 of 27598, by BraveToaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Took my newly acquired SC-55 MkII apart, brought it to a local electronics shop to get a new capacitor soldered in (I have zero experience with that), put it back together, and it works flawlessly. Now the device has a new battery, new capacitor, and new power supply (the one it came with was 300mA, the device needs 600) - so now it should be good for a long time to enjoy those sweet, sweet General MIDI tunes.
Also got an Arananet Pi-MIDI in combination with a Raspberr Pi 3B a couple of weeks ago to cover MT32 and other sound fonts, so now I'm really happy with the MIDI options that I have. 😁

Reply 19554 of 27598, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-26, 14:10:

Found a hand scanner with interface card... not sure if I wanna get it set up or not when a reliable ISA system is "finished"... back in the day I really, really wanted a handheld scanner

They're truly horrible to use, software is dog slow (on period PCs) but they're a good thing to have to show how far we've come. I've some sort of Logitech hand scanner on my Mac (SCSI interface), it provides a few giggles when used.

Reply 19555 of 27598, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pulled out the 486 DX4 Desktop, put in the mSATA 128GB HDD, and started loading FreeDOS RC 1.3 on it.

Going through the collection and getting ready to let go of some things via e-bay. Part of it is financial stress related. Too much crap going on. Plus there's so many systems I hardly run anymore.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 19556 of 27598, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I know how awful hand scanners are, I had an internship kinda thing where I had to "digitise" a load of paperwork with one. Then I knew a couple of ppl who had one that I would bug if I needed something really bad. At the time though, they seemed like the most accessible way to get certain things done. I knew about flatbeds of course, but they were less than optimally designed for scanning books then, and had a single hinged rigid lid that wouldn't close on a book. The book wouldn't lay flat at all and the scan would be distorted anyway. Photocopiers worked better for some reason, seemed like it was easier to get a photocopy and scan the photocopy. Think it was partly that sensors on the non-printshop quality scanners were kinda weak and you really needed to shroud them or something.

Reply 19557 of 27598, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-26, 21:10:

They do tend to pile up...

RAM.jpg
Filename
RAM.jpg
File size
132.67 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I also worked my backside off on reorganization and shelves, but I'm thinking I don't want to post "before" pics (it still feels like "before"). I'll definitely post after pics, though. Maybe some in progress pics like the mini-shelves I posted earlier.

Moved my 3D printer bench across the room to uncover a big set of shelves I'd blocked off.

Edit: I had a Mustek hand scanner back in the day, I found another one a while ago but I haven't even attempted to test it. I have a card but I'm not sure it's the right one.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 19558 of 27598, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested the T2150CDT and it works (for the most part).

Good news: the CD drive works and the settings, along with the time and date are saved.
Bad news: the floppy drive doesn't work and the HDD needs to be replaced (clicking every 5 seconds).

It runs and I'm happy.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19559 of 27598, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Handheld scanners .. Some of the issues seems like history repeating: Panorama shots from smartphones 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀